PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nolan Fontana • Florida
Sophomore • SS • Winter Garden, Fla.
• The Gators’ lead-off hitter was 9-for-12 (.750) during the three wins over USF -Had a stretch of seven-consecutive hits (last four at bats on Friday and first three on Saturday), one shy of the school record held by Kurt Keene (5-8-5/11/99).
• Opened the year by having a career-high four hits and was 4-for-5, scored twice and had a stolen base -Keyed Florida’s 4-1 victory on Saturday by going 3-for-4 with a run and made the defensive play of the game -With UF clinging to a 2-1 lead in the seventh of game two, made a diving stop with the bases loaded and two down to save a pair of runs -Capped the series with a 2-for-3, two-run effort.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Kurt McCune • LSU
Freshman • RHP • Norco, La.
• Freshman right-hander Kurt McCune turned in a remarkable collegiate debut on Sunday against Wake Forest, firing a no-hitter for 5.1 innings before allowing an infield single.
• He worked six shutout innings for the victory, allowing just one hit with two walks and seven strikeouts.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Daryl Norris • Mississippi State
1B/RHP • Fairhope, Ala.
• Norris starred on the mound and at the plate for the Bulldogs on opening weekend. He made his collegiate debut as a relief pitcher, striking out five of the seven batters he faced in closing out State’s season-opening 11-0 shutout of Akron.
• Norris later drew starts at first base and as the DH, collecting five of his team-leading eight RBI in a 3-for-5 outing against Lamar that included a double and a bases-loaded triple. He went 2-for-3 with a sacrifice fly and drove in three more runs in Sunday’s weekend finale against Lamar. He sports the team’s top batting average (.625) and slugging percentage (1.000) and leads the club with eight RBI.