PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Matt Duffy • Tennessee
Senior • 3B • Milton, Mass.
• Duffy continued his torrid start by leading the Vols to a perfect 6-0 record last week. He hit at a .381 clip (8-for-21) over the six contests, complete with a cycle, just the second in school history, and a grand slam. After opening UT’s two-game mid-week set against New Orleans with a 2-for-4, three RBI effort, Duffy one-upped himself and hit for the cycle against the Privateers the following day, finishing 4-for-6 with four RBIs and three runs scored.
• Just three days later, Duffy launched his third home run of the year, blasting his first grand slam as a Vol to pace Tennessee to an 11-5 triumph against Manhattan.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Alex Wood • Georgia
Sophomore • LHP • Charlotte, N.C.
• Beat No. 10 UCLA and ace Gerrit Cole 6-2 at Jackie Robinson Stadium in L.A. this past Friday...He blanked the Bruins for 6.2 innings before allowing solo home run while Cole had perfect game thru 6.1 IP.
• He notched first career win with career-high 11 strikeouts in 7 IP, allowed 1R on 4H with 0 walks.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Corey Littrell • Kentucky
LHP • Louisville, Ky.
• Making his second career start on Tuesday vs. Eastern Kentucky, freshman Corey Littrell went a career-high seven innings, allowing only three hits and one run, walking two and striking out a career-best five, hurling first-pitch strikes to 17-of-25 hitters faced … Littrell picked up where he left off in his first career start, when he carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning against Eastern Michigan on Feb. 24.
• Littrell faced only five hitters above the minimum against EKU … In his two starts this year, Littrell owns a 2-0 record and a 2.03 ERA.