PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Christian Walker • South Carolina
Sophomore • 1B • Limerick, Pa.
• Walker had a phenomenal weekend at the plate batting .909 (10-for-11) along with a sacrifice fly RBI and four walks against the Bulldogs in 16 plate appearances. He had 14 total bases for the weekend and a 1.273 slugging percentage as well.
• In the rubber game of the series vs. the Bulldogs and with the Gamecocks missing three primary position starters, Walker was at his best as he went 4-for-4 with a double and a home run and four RBI in the 13-4 victory to help the Gamecocks take the series. Had a sacrifice fly in his first at-bat, tied the game up at 3-3 in the fourth inning with a two-out single and closed it out with a two-run homer in the ninth inning...A 4-for-5 day at the plate and two runs scored also helped the Gamecocks in the series opener, an 8-2 win.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Alex Meyer • Kentucky
Junior • RHP • Greensburg, Ind.
• Meyer turned in the start of his career in the series opener against No. 12 Arkansas…Meyer tossed his league-high third complete-game of the year, allowing only three hits and one earned run, striking out 10 … Meyer’s 10-strikeout gem was his seventh career double-digit strikeout game and his third this year.
• Meyer now owns 224 career strikeouts, good for the seventh-best total in UK career history … With 81 strikeouts in 71.2 innings pitched, Meyer leads the SEC in strikeouts, fanning 10.17 per nine innings pitched.
CO-FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Conrad Gregor • Vanderbilt
DH • Carmel, Ind.
• Hit .615 on the week with eight hits and six RBI...Set career-bests on back-to-back days with three hits Saturday and four hits on Sunday.... Belted his second home run of the year on Sunday with a two-run blast. Drove in a career-high three runs on Saturday.
Karsten Whitson • Florida
RHP • Chipley, Fla.
• Worked a career-high 6.2 innings to complete the sweep of Alabama...Held UA without a hit until the fifth inning and kept UA off the scoreboard until the seventh...Registered seven strikeouts, his most in an SEC outing, and did not permit any walks Gave up three hits and one run in UF’s 2-1 triumph.