PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nolan Fontana • Florida
Sophomore • SS • Winter Garden, Fla.
• Boasted a .467 (7-for-15) average on the week as the Gators captured three of four games...Led Florida to its first series victory over Vanderbilt in Nashville since 2005 by batting .455 (5-for-11) with a .727 slugging percentage, a .600 on-base percentage, three runs, three walks and two RBI...Did not commit any errors in 16 chances...Clubbed a game-tying two-run homer in the seventh inning of the opener to even the contest at 4-4...It was his second round-tripper in league play this season...The Gators would go on to score two runs in the ninth to collect a 6-5 win.
• Turned in a 3-for-5 effort in the series finale, his 17th multiple-hit outing of the year...Scored the game-tying run in the eighth on a sacrifice fly by Mike Zunino after he had a one-out single.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Colby Holmes • South Carolina
Sophomore • RHP • Conway, S.C.
• The sophomore right-hander came within one pitch of a complete game shutout as South Carolina clinched a series victory over Arkansas with a 7-1 win on Sunday afternoon...Holmes (5-2) pitched 8.2 innings - the longest outing by a South Carolina pitcher this season - giving up just one run on six hits while tying a career-high with seven strikeouts and walking just one Razorback hitter...8.2 innings is a career-high as well for Holmes.
• A solo home run by Arkansas (33-17, 13-14 SEC) with two strikes and two outs in the ninth broke up what would have been South Carolina's first complete-game shutout of the season.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Kevin Gausman • LSU
RHP • Centennial, Colo.
• Gausman delivered a brilliant performance on the mound Friday versus Tennessee, recording a complete-game shutout of the Volunteers … Gausman limited Tennessee to just four hits while recording no walks and seven strikeouts … Gausman retired the final 13 Volunteer batters in a row to clinch the win.
• Gausman’s effort marked the first shutout fired by an LSU pitcher since Louis Coleman blanked Arkansas in Fayetteville on May 2, 2009 … Gausman’s gem was the first shutout by an LSU freshman since the championship game of the 1993 College World Series when Brett Laxton blanked Wichita State to lift the Tigers to their second national title.