BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Sept. 14, 2011) -- The Southeastern Conference Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is coordinating its fifth annual league-wide food drive during the dates of Sept. 16-October 2. All 12 SEC institutions will participate by collecting food and financial donations at various sporting events, community locations and on campuses.
Led by student-athletes, the SEC Together We CAN Drive is designed to support food banks and shelters throughout the southeast. Since this marks the 5-year anniversary of the SEC Together We CAN Drive, student-athletes are hoping to collect enough food and donations to eclipse the 500,000 total pounds collected mark.
The SEC SAAC is comprised of two student-athletes from each institution. The SAAC was established in 1992 to serve as a medium of communication through which student-athletes, conference administrators, institutional representatives and coaches discuss and take action on issues relating to rules governance, student-athlete welfare and community service.
Members of the SEC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee for 2011-12 are: Courtney McLane (Alabama, tennis); Kyle Weeks (Alabama, swimming & diving); Jasmine Norton (Arkansas, volleyball); Courtney O’Grady (Arkansas, swimming & diving); Morgan Murphy (Auburn, softball); Maya Pressley (Auburn, track & field); Betsy Smith (Florida, volleyball); Brian Howell (Florida, swimming & diving); Chelsea Nauta (Georgia, swimming & diving); J.P. Hackney (Georgia, track & field); Ann Armes (Kentucky, volleyball); Ashleigh Gustafson (Kentucky, softball); Madie Jones (LSU, volleyball); Brandon Gordon (LSU, track & field); Amanda Hutcheson (Ole Miss, softball); Morgan Springer (Ole Miss, volleyball); Renee Masterson (Mississippi State, track & field); Nick Lewis (Mississippi State, track & field); Samantha Arbaugh (South Carolina, softball); Courtney Newton (South Carolina, basketball); Natalie Plustkota (Tennessee, tennis); Derek Paul (Tennessee, swimming & diving) and Caleb Welchans (Vanderbilt, football).
A list of Together We CAN Drive events and donation locations is available on the SEC’s official website, www.secdigitalnetwork.com, and below.
University-Specific Collection Information and Food Banks to Benefit
(As of Sept. 7, 2011)
* Benefiting the West Alabama Food Bank - http://www.westalabamafoodbank.org
* Events with Collections: Volleyball at the CAVE on Sept. 18; and Soccer at Alabama Soccer Stadium on Sept. 23
* Benefiting the Northwest Arkansas Food - Bank http://www.nwafoodbank.org and Seven Hills Homeless Shelter
* Events with Collections: Football at Razorback Stadium (Gate 16; Lots 56, 72 and Gardens Parking Lot) on Sept. 17; Soccer at Razorback Field on Sept. 23; and Volleyball at Barnhill Arena on Sept. 23
* Other Places to Donate: Sept. 24 - Harps Grocery stores on Garland Avenue, Wedington Drive, College Avenue and Crossover & Mission Road; Sept. 19-26 - Bins in lobby of Bev Lewis Center; Barnhill Arena; Bogle Academic Center and Broyles Complex
* Benefiting the Food Bank of East Alabama - http://www.foodbankofeastalabama.com/
* Events with Collections: Volleyball at the Auburn Student Activities Center on Sept. 23; Sept. 25; Sept. 30; Oct. 2 and Soccer at the Auburn Soccer Complex on Sept. 23 and Sept. 25.
* Other Places to Donate: Winn Dixie on South College Street; Kroger at Dean and Glenn and Publix on Moore Mill
* Benefiting the Salvation Army
* Events with Collections: Football at Verizon FanFest outside of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Sept. 17; Volleyball at O’Connell Center at Gate 1 on Sept. 25; Lacrosse at Dizney Complex on Sept. 30; Softball at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium on Sept. 30; and Soccer at James Pressly Stadium on Oct. 2
* Benefiting the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia - http://www.foodbanknega.org
* Events with Collections: Equestrian at UGA Equestrian Complex from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on Sept. 16; Football at bus stop between East Campus Village and Ramsey Student Center Parking Deck and area between Coliseum Training Facility and Carlton Street Parking Deck from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Sept. 17; Soccer at Turner Soccer Complex from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Sept. 23; and Volleyball at Ramsey Center from 6:30–7:30 p.m. on Sept. 23
* Other Places to Donate: Sept. 16-Oct. 2 bins in Butts-Mehre Building 3rd Floor; Rankin Smith Center near front desk; and Stegeman Coliseum in the event management offices
* Benefiting God’s Pantry of Lexington - www.godspantry.org
* Events with Collections: Volleyball at Memorial Coliseum on Sept. 16; Men’s Soccer at UK Soccer Complex on Sept. 23; and Football at Commonwealth Stadium on Sept. 24
* Other Places to Donate: Participating Lexington dining establishments; and God’s Pantry online
* Benefiting the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank - http://www.brfoodbank.org
* Events with Collections: Soccer at LSU Soccer Stadium on Sept. 16; Sept. 19; Sept. 23; Sept. 25; Sept. 30; Oct. 2; Swimming & Diving at LSU Natatorium on Sept. 23; Sept. 30; Cross Country at Highland Road Park on Sept. 24; and Volleyball at Pete Maravich Assembly Center on Sept. 25; Sept. 30; Oct. 2
* Other Places to Donate: Front entrance to Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes
* Benefiting the Oxford Food Pantry
* Events with Collections: Volleyball at Gillom Sports Center on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18
* Other Places to Donate:; Oxford area grocery stores; Coaches show/pep rally; and Various Ole Miss campus locations
* Benefiting area Starkville families through the Mississippi State University M-Club
* Events with Collections: Soccer and Volleyball Matches Sept. 16-25
* Other Places to Donate: Templeton Athletic Academic Center and Starkville Elementary Schools
* Benefiting the Harvest Hope Food Bank of Columbia - http://www.harvesthope.org
* Other Places to Donate: Sept. 16-Oct. 2 participating Bi Lo, Publix and Food Lions
* Benefiting the Second Harvest Food Bank - http://www.secondharvestknox.org
* Events with Collections: Volleyball at Thompson Bowling Arena on Sept. 16 and Sept. 18; Soccer at Regal Stadium on Sept. 16, Sept. 23 and Sept. 25; Cross Country at Lambert Acres Course on Sept. 17; and Football at Neyland Stadium on Oct. 1
* Benefiting the Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee - www.secondharvestmidtn.org
* Events with Collections: Soccer at Vanderbilt Soccer/Lacrosse Complex on Sept. 15; and Football at Vandyville Tent Competition outside of Vanderbilt Stadium on Sept. 17
* Other Places to Donate: Sept. 16-Oct. 1 bins in McGugin Building lobby