SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Oct. 8)
WATCH SEC "REWIND" HIGHLIGHT VIDEO
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
CONNOR SHAW (Watch South Carolina Highlights)
6-1 • 204 • So. • Flowery Branch, Ga.
• Making just his second career start, Shaw nearly surpassed his career totals in just about every passing category, as he completed 26-of-39 passes for 311 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in the Gamecocks' 54-3 rout of Kentucky.
• He also rushed 15 times for 42 yards. His touchdown passes were of 20, 11, 24 and 25 yards.
• Shaw became the first Gamecock quarterback since 2006 to throw four touchdowns in a game. Carolina QBs had thrown just four touchdowns in the first five games of the season combined.
• In first half, Shaw completed 15-of-22 passes for 207 yards and three touchdowns.
• Carolina rolled up 639 yards of offense on 91 plays against the Wildcats.
• Shaw entered the game with 27 career completions in 44 attempts for 252 yards and one TD.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MIKE GILLIARD (Watch Georgia Highlights)
6-2 • 220 • Jr. • Valdosta, Ga.
• Gilliard recorded a game-high and career-high 12 tackles, including a sack for -14 yards and 2.5 tackles for loss of 20 yards, forced a fumble and had a pass break-up during the Bulldogs’ 20-12 away win over Tennessee.
• This marked the fourth straight game that Gilliard has led Georgia in tackles as he tops the team with 40 stops.
• Gilliard anchored a defense that held the Volunteers to -20 yards rushing, which is the lowest output for a Bulldog opponent since 1999.
• Georgia forced Tennessee into three 3-and-outs on eight Vol offensive drives. UT’s offense had just 11 minutes time of possession in the second half.
• Georgia has allowed just two touchdowns in the past 16 quarters and is now third in the SEC in total defense, rushing defense and pass defense.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
BLAIR WALSH (Watch Georgia Highlights)
5-10 • 192 • Sr. • Boca Raton, Fla.
• Walsh was 2-for-2 in field goals and hit a pair of PATs to help clinch the Bulldogs’ 20-12 win at Tennessee.
• After starting the season 6-for-12, Walsh drilled a 35 yarder in the opening period to put Georgia up 3-0 and then a 23 yarder in the second quarter to give the Bulldogs a 6-3 edge to be perfect for the game.
• The SEC’s active leader with 63 career field goals, Walsh is now eighth in the SEC record books for points scored in a career (350) and has the eighth most field goals of any kicker in league history.
• He is now third in school history in most points scored behind SEC record holder Billy Bennett and former All-American Kevin Butler.
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
WILL BLACKWELL (Watch LSU-Florida "8 Minute Drill")
6-4 • 290 • Sr. • West Monroe, La.
• Blackwell played every snap and recorded a team-high 10 knockdowns in LSU’s 41-11 win over Florida.
• He did not allow a sack as the Tigers rolled up 453 total yards against a Florida team was allowing just 258 total yards going into the game.
• Blackwell helped pave the way for 100-yard rusher Spencer Ware as the Tigers ran for 238 yards against a Gator defense that was holding opponents to 90 yards on the ground per game.
DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
FLETCHER COX (Watch Mississippi State Highlights)
6-4 • 300 • Jr. • Yazoo City, Miss.
• Cox posted a career-high seven total tackles, including five solo stops, in Mississippi State’s 21-3 victory over UAB.
• He was a presence in the UAB offensive backfield for most of the game, credited with five quarterback pressures.
• Mississippi State held the Blazers to 145 rushing yards on 35 carries with only one rush for more than 20 yards.
• Cox leads a defensive front that has not allowed a touchdown in its last six quarters - a total of 20 opponent possessions.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
TEVIN MITCHEL (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
6-0 • 185 • Mansfield, Texas
• In his first career start, Mitchel finished with seven total tackles, including three solos, in Arkansas’ 38-14 win against Auburn.
• Mitchel was part of a Razorback secondary that allowed just nine completions in 25 Tiger pass attempts for 104 total yards.
• The Arkansas defense shut out Auburn following the first quarter allowing just 227 yards in the final three quarters.
• Mitchel is the leading freshman tackler in the SEC, with 30 total stops.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK SIX
SAF MARK BARRON (Alabama) -- Had six total tackles (4 solos) with 1.5 for losses and two pass deflections against Vanderbilt.
WR MARQUIS MAZE (Alabama) -- Had career-best nine catches for 93 yards against Vanderbilt.
WR JOE ADAMS (Arkansas) -- Had six catches for 49 yards and also had one rush for 92-yard touchdown against Auburn.
SAF TRAMAIN THOMAS (Arkansas) -- Had nine total tackles and career-high two interceptions against Auburn.
RB MICHAEL DYER (Auburn) -- Rushed for 112 yards on 21 carries and a touchdown against Arkansas.
P STEVEN CLARK (Auburn) -- Averaged 40.0 yards on nine punts and had six downed inside the 20 yard line against Arkansas.
WR/RS ANDRE DEBOSE (Florida) -- Had a 65-yard touchdown catch and returned four kicks for 83 yards against LSU.
ILB JON BOSTIC (Florida) -- Had game-high 13 total tackles, including a sack (-8 yards) against LSU.
SAF WINSTON GUY (Kentucky) -- Had game-high 14 total tackles (11 solos) with two for losses (-5 yards) against South Carolina.
DB TYRANN MATHIEU (LSU) -- Had six tackles with one for a 7-yard loss and an interception against Florida.
RB SPENCER WARE (LSU) -- Rushed for career-best 109 yards and two touchdowns on 24 carries against Florida.
QB TYLER RUSSELL (Mississippi State) -- Came off the bench and completed 11-of-13 passes for 166 yards and three touchdowns against UAB.
WR BRUCE ELLINGTON (South Carolina) -- Caught three passes for 22 yards and also had a 61-yard touchdown run against Kentucky.
DB PRENTISS WAGGNER (Tennessee) -- Credited with 11 total tackles (10 solos) with a forced fumble and two pass deflections against Georgia.
RB MARLIN LANE (Tennessee) -- Had six receptions for 84 yards against Georgia.
LB CHASE GARNHAM (Vanderbilt) -- Had game-high 10 total tackles (four solos), with a 0.5 tackle for loss, against Alabama.
2011 SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Week 1 (Games of Sept. 1-3):
Offense - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State; Defense - Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; Special Teams - Joe Adams, WR/RS, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Rokevious Watkins, OT, South Carolina; Co-Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Luke McDermott, DT, Kentucky; Co-Freshman - Trey Depriest, LB, Alabama; Tre Mason, RB/RS, Auburn.
Week 2 (Games of Sept. 10):
Offense - Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee; Defense - Mark Barron, SAF, Alabama; Special Teams - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Offensive Lineman - Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas; Defensive Lineman - Rob Lohr, DT, Vanderbilt; Co-Freshman - Josh Clemons, RB, Kentucky; Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 3 (Games of Sept. 15-17):
Co-Offense - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida; Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina; Defense -Trey Wilson, DB, Vanderbilt; Special Teams - Caleb Sturgis, PK, Florida; Offensive Lineman - Wesley Johnson, C, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Bennie Logan, DT, LSU; Freshman- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU.
Week 4 (Games of Sept. 24):
Offense - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Defense -Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Barrett Jones, OT, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Freshman- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 5 (Games of Oct. 1):
Co-Offense: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas; Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas; Defense - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - William Vlachos, C, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Freshman - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 6 (Games of Oct. 8):
Offense: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina; Defense - Mike Gilliard, ILB, Georgia; Special Teams - Blair Walsh, PK, Georgia; Offensive Lineman - Will Blackwell, OG, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas.