SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Oct. 29, 2011)
WATCH SEC "REWIND" HIGHLIGHT REEL
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MICHAEL DYER (Watch Auburn Highlights)
5-9 • 210 • So. • Little Rock, Ark.
• Dyer rushed for 177 yards on 27 carries and a touchdown in Auburn’s 41-23 win against Ole Miss.
• The 177 yards were the second most of his career behind the 180 yards against Ole Miss last season, while the 27 attempts were also the second most of his Auburn career.
• It was the ninth career 100-yard rushing game and fourth 150-yard rushing game of his career.
• 116 of his rushing yards came in the second half when the Tigers outscored the Rebels, 24-6.
• Dyer is third in the SEC and 19th in the nation in rushing, averaging 109.9 yards per game. He has 989 rushing yards this season.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
JERRY FRANKLIN (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
6-1 • 245 • Sr. • Marion, Ark.
• Franklin led Arkansas with 10 tackles (seven solos) with 2.5 for losses and returned a fumble 94 yards for a touchdown in Arkansas’ 31-28 win at Vanderbilt.
• Vanderbilt led 28-20 and had second and goal from the Arkansas three-yard line when Franklin scooped up a fumble and ran 94 yards to score allowing the Razorbacks to tie the game after a successful two-point conversion.
• The fumble recovery was the fifth of Franklin’s career and first returned for a score since 2009 (vs. Texas A&M).
JARVIS JONES (Watch Georgia Highlights)
6-3 • 241 • So. • Columbus, Ga.
• Jones finished with four sacks (-27 yards) and five total tackles and a forced fumble in Georgia’s 24-20 win over Florida.
• His four sacks rank in a tie for second most in a game in school history, and the most since 2001 when Charles Grant had four against Auburn.
• Jones anchored a Bulldog defense that held the Gators to -19 yards rushing and only a single offensive touchdown.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ZACH HOCKER (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
6-0 • 180 • So. • Russellville, Ark.
• Hocker tied his career high with three field goals in Arkansas’ 31-28 victory at Vanderbilt. Hocker’s field goals came in the second-half and were from distances of 36, 50 and 42 yards.
• Hocker’s 50-yard field goal was a season-long and his 42-yard field goal with 6:53 remaining in the fourth quarter proved to be the game-winner, allowing Arkansas to overcome a 14-point deficit.
• Hocker’s 50-yard field goal was the second from 50-or-more yards of his career (51 vs. USC, 2010). The field goal tied for the second-longest by a Razorback since the school joined the SEC (50, Todd Wright, vs. LSU).
• Hocker had seven kickoffs in the game and two were for touchbacks.
• Hocker is third in the SEC in field goals made per game (1.38) and is second in the league in touchbacks (22).
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
CORDY GLENN (Watch Georgia Highlights)
6-5 • 348 • Sr. • Riverdale, Ga.
• Glenn graded out at 82 percent with three intimidation blocks during Georgia's 24-20 win over Florida.
• Glenn helped anchor an offense that racked up 185 yards on the ground and 354 total yards during the Bulldogs' sixth win in a row.
• He was instrumental in giving quarterback Aaron Murray time as Georgia bounced back from being down 17-3 early in the game as the Bulldogs were 3-for-3 on fourth down conversions.
• Glenn served as a captain for the second straight game for the Bulldogs
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
FLETCHER COX (Watch Mississippi State Highlights)
6-4 • 295 • Jr. • Yazoo City, Miss.
• Cox posted a career-best seven tackles with 3.5 tackles for loss and a pair of sacks in Mississippi State's 28-16 win at Kentucky.
• In the first quarter alone, Cox was credited with four tackles, three tackles for loss and a pair of sacks as the Bulldog defense held Kentucky to a total of 12 yards on their final two possessions of the quarter.
• Cox first TFL came on 2-and-1, pushing Kentucky back and forcing a punt on the first possession. Cox then posted back-to-back sacks to force another Kentucky punt.
• This is Cox’ third SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week honor, all within the last four weeks.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
BRANDON WILDS (Watch South Carolina Highlights)
6-1 • 223 • Blythewood, S.C.
• A true freshman who began the season fifth on the depth chart, Wilds made his first collegiate start Saturday at Tennessee and responded with 28 carries for 137 yards, an average of 4.9 yards per carry, in South Carolina's 14-3 win.
• He also was Carolina's top receiver with three receptions for 31 yards. He accounted for 168 of Carolina’s 318 total offensive yards against the Vols.
• On Carolina's 20-play, 98-yard third quarter drive, he carried the ball 11 times for 51 yards.
• He came into the game with just 13 carries on the season for 75 yards.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 9
WR JARIUS WRIGHT (Arkansas) -- Had game-high 10 catches for 135 yards and a touchdown against Vanderbilt.
DE TREY FLOWERS (Arkansas) -- Led the Razorback defensive line with four tackles, including one for a loss and a pass deflection against Vanderbilt.
LB ELTORO FREEMAN (Auburn) -- Registered team-high 11 tackles with two sacks, one forced fumble and one quarterback pressure against Ole Miss.
PK CODY PARKEY (Auburn) -- Had a pair of field goals (40 and 31 yards) and five touchbacks against Ole Miss.
RB JEFF DEMPS (Florida) -- Returned a kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown and also had a 72-yard reception against Georgia.
RB RICHARD SAMUEL (Georgia) -- Had 58 rushing yards on 17 carries and scored winning touchdown on 4-yard run in fourth quarter against Florida.
DE DeANGELO TYSON (Georgia) -- Had three solo tackles, including a sack and another tackle for loss against Florida.
LB DANNY TREVATHAN (Kentucky) -- Had a career-high tying 17 tackles with an interception and caused fumble against Mississippi State.
QB MAXWELL SMITH (Kentucky) -- Completed 26-of-33 passes for 174 yards, all career highs, against Mississippi State.
RB BRANDON BOLDEN (Ole Miss) -- Rushed for 114 yards and two touchdowns on 13 carries and also caught a pass for eight yards against Auburn.
QB TYLER RUSSELL (Mississippi State) -- Completed 9-of-12 passes for 172 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions against Kentucky.
FS D.J. SWEARINGER (South Carolina) -- Had six solo tackles and an interception against Tennessee.
DB PRENTISS WAGGNER (Tennessee) -- Had five tackles, an interception and a sack against South Carolina.
LB A.J. JOHNSON (Tennessee) -- Recorded 12 tackles against South Carolina.
RB ZAC STACY (Vanderbilt) -- Ran for 128 yards, including a 62-yarder for a touchdown, and caught three passes for 51 yards against Arkansas.
DE TIM FUGGER (Vanderbilt) -- Had four solo tackles, including three tackles for loss and a pair of sacks and forced a fumble against Arkansas.
2011 SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Week 1 (Games of Sept. 1-3): Offense - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State; Defense - Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; Special Teams - Joe Adams, WR/RS, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Rokevious Watkins, OT, South Carolina; Co-Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Luke McDermott, DT, Kentucky; Co-Freshman - Trey Depriest, LB, Alabama; Tre Mason, RB/RS, Auburn.
Week 2 (Games of Sept. 10): Offense - Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee; Defense - Mark Barron, SAF, Alabama; Special Teams - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Offensive Lineman - Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas; Defensive Lineman - Rob Lohr, DT, Vanderbilt; Co-Freshman - Josh Clemons, RB, Kentucky; Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 3 (Games of Sept. 15-17): Co-Offense - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida; Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina; Defense -Trey Wilson, DB, Vanderbilt; Special Teams - Caleb Sturgis, PK, Florida; Offensive Lineman - Wesley Johnson, C, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Bennie Logan, DT, LSU; Freshman- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU.
Week 4 (Games of Sept. 24): Offense - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Defense -Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Barrett Jones, OT, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Freshman- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 5 (Games of Oct. 1): Co-Offense: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas; Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas; Defense - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - William Vlachos, C, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Freshman - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 6 (Games of Oct. 8): Offense: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina; Defense - Mike Gilliard, ILB, Georgia; Special Teams - Blair Walsh, PK, Georgia; Offensive Lineman - Will Blackwell, OG, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas.
Week 7 (Games of Oct. 15): Offense: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Co-Defense - Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn; D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Co-Freshman - Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina; Ray Drew, OLB, Georgia.
Week 8 (Games of Oct. 22): Offense: Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas; Defense - Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU; Freshman - A.J. Johnson, LB, Tennessee.
Week 9 (Games of Oct. 29): Offense: Michael Dyer, RB, Auburn; Co-Defense - Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas; Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia; Special Teams - Zach Hocker, K, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Brandon Wilds, RB, South Carolina.