SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (GAMES OF NOV. 5, 2011)
WATCH SEC "REWIND" HIGHLIGHT VIDEO HERE
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK (Watch Florida Highlights)
5-7 • 191 • Sr. • Winter Garden, Fla.
• Demps rushed for a career-high 158 yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns in Florida’s 26-21 win against Vanderbilt.
• Demps finished the game with 213 all-purpose yards, including 41 kick return and 14 receiving yards (on two catches).
• It was his seventh 100-yard effort of his career and third this season (105 vs. Florida Atlantic; 157 vs. Kentucky).
• His 52-yard run for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter put the Gators ahead, 26-14, with 2:13 left in the game.
• For the season, Demps is 8th in the SEC in all-purpose rushing, with 850 yards on 89 plays. He has 494 rushing yards on 70 carries and two touchdowns.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK (Watch LSU Highlights)
6-2 • 208 • So. • Geismar, La.
• Reid had six tackles, including one for a 6-yard loss, and a key interception as #1-ranked LSU defeated #2 Alabama, 9-6 in overtime.
• His interception came in the fourth quarter after Alabama had driven to the LSU 28-yard line. The pick came at the LSU 1-yard line.
• He also forced a fumble in the Tiger win.
• The LSU defense held the Crimson Tide to its season-low in points (6), rushing yards (96) and total yards (295).
• LSU is third in the SEC and ninth in the nation in pass defense this season (177.44 ypg) and third in the SEC and fourth in the nation in pass efficiency defense (96.73 rating).
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
Return Specialist / Running Back
5-9 • 213 • Jr. • Texarkana, Ark.
• Johnson returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown and tallied 252 all-purpose yards in #7 Arkansas’ 44-28 win against #9-ranked South Carolina.
• Johnson also returned a kickoff 32 yards, had 86 yards rushing on 15 carries and caught four passes for 36 yards for the Razorbacks.
• His touchdown was the third kickoff return of Johnson’s career and tied for the 10th longest kickoff return in school history.
• Johnson is second in the SEC in all-purpose rushing, averaging 150.43 yards per game.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 316 • Sr. • Centreville, Ala.
• Jones graded out at 85 percent and had five intimidation blocks in just a half of play during Georgia's 63-16 win over New Mexico State.
• He anchored an offensive line that did not allow any sacks of quarterback Aaron Murray as Murray was able to complete 18 of 23 passes for 238 yards in two quarters and a career-high five touchdown passes, which ties a school record.
• He was part of an offensive unit which accumulated the most total yards (627) and the most points (63) in the Mark Richt era during the Bulldogs' seventh straight win.
• With the top four tailbacks out versus the Aggies, Georgia was still able to rack up 258 yards rushing and have its fourth 100-yard receiver of the season
SEC CO-DEFENSIVE LINEMEN OF THE WEEK (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
6-5 • 271 • Sr. • Little Rock, Ark.
• Bequette tallied four total tackles, three sacks (-32 yards) and a forced fumble in #7 Arkansas’ 44-28 win against #9 South Carolina.
• His three sacks matched a career high and were the ninth-highest single-game total this season.
• His forced fumble was on a sack that the Razorbacks recovered on the USC 1-yard line. Arkansas scored two plays later.
SAM MONTGOMERY (Watch LSU Highlights)
6-4 • 245 • So. • Greenville, S.C.
• Montgomery had six total tackles, including a pair of sacks, in #1 LSU’s 9-6 win at #2 Alabama.
• His sack in overtime on third down resulted in the Crimson Tide having to attempt a 52-yard field goal.
• Other sack came in the second quarter and contributed to Alabama being forced to attempt a 49-yard field goal.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK (Watch Kentucky Highlights)
6-4 • 220 • Grenada Hills, Calif.
• Making his first collegiate start, Smith completed 19-of-36 passes for 283 yards and two touchdowns and no interceptions in Kentucky’s 30-13 win against Ole Miss.
• Smith led the Wildcats in a come-from-behind victory, trailing 13-10 entering the fourth quarter. Kentucky outscored Ole Miss, 20-0, in the final 15 minutes.
• In the final quarter, Smith was 4-of-8 for 110 yards and two touchdowns.
• His 283 passing yards is a UK record for passing yardage by a true freshman.
• Kentucky had two receivers with more than 100-yards, first time since 2007 for the Wildcats.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 10
RB TRENT RICHARDSON (Alabama) -- Totaled 192 all-purpose yards, including 89 rushing on 23 carries and had five catches for 80 yards against LSU
WR JARIUS WRIGHT (Arkansas) -- Had four catches for 103 yards and two touchdowns against South Carolina.
DB MATT ELAM (Florida) -- Had five tackles, three for losses and a pass deflection against Vanderbilt.
QB AARON MURRAY (Georgia) -- Completed 18-of-23 passes for 238 yards with five touchdowns and no intercptions against New Mexico State.
LB DANNY TREVATHAN (Kentucky) -- Talled career-high tying 17 total tackles with an interception and half-tackle for loss against Ole Miss.
PK DREW ALLEMAN (LSU) -- Kicked three field goals, including game-winning 25-yarder, against Alabama.
WR/CB NICKOLAS BRASSELL (Ole Miss) -- Totaled 96 all-purpose yards and a TD reception and had three tackles, pass deflection and half-sack against Kentucky.
OG GABE JACKSON (Mississippi State) -- Posted a team-best 92 percent blocking grade with six knockdown blocks against Tennessee-Martin.
DE DEVIN TAYLOR (South Carolina) -- Had three tackles, 1.5 for losses and a sack, against Arkansas.
WR DA’RICK ROGERS (Tennessee) -- Caught nine passes for 137 yards and a touchdown against Middle Tennessee.
QB JORDAN RODGERS (Vanderbilt) -- Completed 19-of-28 passes for 297 yards and two touchdowns against Florida.
2011 SEC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Week 1 (Games of Sept. 1-3): Offense - Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State; Defense - Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU; Special Teams - Joe Adams, WR/RS, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Rokevious Watkins, OT, South Carolina; Co-Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Luke McDermott, DT, Kentucky; Co-Freshman - Trey Depriest, LB, Alabama; Tre Mason, RB/RS, Auburn.
Week 2 (Games of Sept. 10): Offense - Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee; Defense - Mark Barron, SAF, Alabama; Special Teams - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Offensive Lineman - Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas; Defensive Lineman - Rob Lohr, DT, Vanderbilt; Co-Freshman - Josh Clemons, RB, Kentucky; Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 3 (Games of Sept. 15-17): Co-Offense - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida; Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina; Defense -Trey Wilson, DB, Vanderbilt; Special Teams - Caleb Sturgis, PK, Florida; Offensive Lineman - Wesley Johnson, C, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Bennie Logan, DT, LSU; Freshman- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU.
Week 4 (Games of Sept. 24): Offense - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Defense -Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Barrett Jones, OT, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida; Freshman- Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 5 (Games of Oct. 1): Co-Offense: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas; Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas; Defense - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - William Vlachos, C, Alabama; Defensive Lineman - Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Freshman - Isaiah Crowell, RB, Georgia.
Week 6 (Games of Oct. 8): Offense: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina; Defense - Mike Gilliard, ILB, Georgia; Special Teams - Blair Walsh, PK, Georgia; Offensive Lineman - Will Blackwell, OG, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Tevin Mitchel, CB, Arkansas.
Week 7 (Games of Oct. 15): Offense: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama; Co-Defense - Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn; D.J. Swearinger, FS, South Carolina; Special Teams - Steven Clark, P, Auburn; Offensive Lineman - Chris Faulk, OT, LSU; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Co-Freshman - Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina; Ray Drew, OLB, Georgia.
Week 8 (Games of Oct. 22): Offense: Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas; Defense - Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama; Special Teams - Brad Wing, P, LSU; Offensive Lineman - Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt; Defensive Lineman - Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU; Freshman - A.J. Johnson, LB, Tennessee.
Week 9 (Games of Oct. 29): Offense: Michael Dyer, RB, Auburn; Co-Defense - Jerry Franklin, LB, Arkansas; Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia; Special Teams - Zach Hocker, K, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia; Defensive Lineman - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State; Freshman - Brandon Wilds, RB, South Carolina.
Week 10 (Games of Nov. 5): Offense: Jeff Demps, RB, Florida; Defense - Eric Reid, SAF, LSU; Special Teams - Dennis Johnson, RS/RB, Arkansas; Offensive Lineman - Ben Jones, C, Georgia; Co-Defensive Lineman - Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas; Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU; Freshman - Maxwell Smith, QB, Kentucky.