Player of the Week
Bob van Overbeek • Florida
Junior • Boca Raton, Fla.
• Turned in an impressive performance over the weekend, notching four victories and his first-ever win over a top-five singles opponent.
• On Saturday, he teamed with Andrew Butz to win the first doubles match, 8-5, against No. 32 Florida State and help UF take the doubles point.
• He then earned a straight-set win at No. 1 singles over FSU’s Jordan Kelly-Houston, 6-3, 7-6 (6), to give Florida a 3-0 lead in the match, which it went on to win 6-1.
• On Sunday, after UF split the doubles matches on the top two courts, Butz and van Overbeek’s match became crucial. They had fallen behind 4-2 to the Fighting Illini, but reeled off six-straight games to win the match and take the doubles point for the Gators.
• In singles going up against No. 2-ranked Nevolo, he pulled out a tiebreaker in the first set to gain the advantage, but fell behind 3-1 early in the second set. He then broke Nevolo twice and held serve twice to take a 5-3 lead and things looked promising. Nevolo won his final service game, but van Overbeek followed with a big service game of his own to end the match, 7-6 (5), 6-4, earning his first-ever victory over a top-5 opponent. Florida ultimately won the match 6-1.
2/11 Jordan Kelly-Houston, FSU (32) W 6-3, 7-6(6)
2/12 Dennis Nevolo (2), Illinois (18) W 7-6(5), 6-4
Doubles (with Andrew Butz)
2/11 Bucaro/Lock, FSU (32) W 8-5
2/12 Abdelnour/Hoh, Illinois (18) W 8-4
Freshman of the Week
Gonzales Austin • Vanderbilt
• Went undefeated over the weekend as the Commodores turned around a three-game losing streak to take back-to-back matches against Northwestern and Brown.
• Austin got the team on the board early, finishing for the Dores first in singles each time to help build the momentum of the victories.
• Austin helped clinch the doubles point for the Dores against Brown, and was part of the only doubles pair to notch a win against Northwestern, who has lost only one doubles point this season.
2/10 Michael Riechmann, Brown W 7-6(7-4), 6-0
2/12 Sidarth Balaji, Northwestern (64) W 6-2, 6-3
Doubles (with Blake Bazarnik)
2/10 Azargui/Burke, Brown W 9-8 (7-5)
2/12 Graves/Wolf, Northwestern (64) W 8-2