PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Drew Steckenrider * Tennessee
Junior * RHP/1B * Lawrenceville, Ga.
* Out of the cleanup spot, the 6-5 switch-hitting junior reached base 11 times in 14 plate appearances, going 5-for-8 (.625) with a pair of doubles and his second career home run, in addition to walking four times...Hit by a pitch twice, stealing the first base of his career, scoring a team-high five runs and driving in two more.
* Also served as the team's Opening Day starter, picking up the win after allowing just two hits and no runs and striking out two in his pre-determined four innings of work.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Barrett Astin * Arkansas
So. * RHP * Forrest City, Ark.
* Astin turned in a strong outing in his first start of the season to help Arkansas to a three-game sweep of Villanova ... Astin tossed five no-hit innings against the Wildcats, striking out seven and walking three.
* Astin opened the game by retiring the first seven batters he faced and closed his outing by sitting down seven of the final eight batters he faced ... Astin, who was making the fourth start of his collegiate career, set a new career high with five innings pitched.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Taylor Gushue * Florida
DH/C * Boca Raton, Fla.
* Having enrolled at Florida in January after graduating from Calvary Christian Academy a semester early, Gushue homered on the first pitch he saw as a collegian Friday night in the Gators' opener against No. 16 Cal State Fullerton. With a solo shot with two down in the second inning off CSF ace Dylan Floro, Gushue became the first UF player to homer on his first swing since Chris Freshcorn accomplished the feat on March 5, 2008, against Campbell.
* Was one of three freshmen to start on Opening Night for the Gators, joining Josh Tobias (third base) and Casey Turgeon (second base).
*Moved Florida in front on Saturday with a two-run triple in the fourth inning of an eventual 5-2 win.