PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mason Katz • LSU
Junior • 1B • Harahan, La.
• Katz hit a remarkable .684 (13-for-19) in five games last week with five doubles, three homers, eight RBI, 12 runs, a 1.421 slugging percentage and a .760 on-base percentage, leading LSU to perfect 5-0 mark … Beginning with a walk in his final plate appearance on Feb. 26 versus Appalachian State, Katz reached base safely in 17 consecutive plate appearances, falling just one shy of the NCAA record of 18 straight.
• The streak ended on Katz’ first plate appearance on Saturday versus Dartmouth … During the streak of reaching base safely 17 straight times, Katz was 10-for-10 with three doubles, two homers, nine runs, seven walks and one stolen base.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Alex Wood • Georgia
Sophomore • LHP • Charlotte, N.C.
• Struck out a career-high 14 in eight shutout innings with no walks in Georgia's 4-1 win over Western Illinois...Faced just 26 batters.
• Struck out every starter at least once, allowed a single with two outs in the fourth and to leadoff the eighth....Improved to 3-0 in three starts with a 2.25 ERA in 20 IP with 26 strikeouts and one walk.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Taylor Gushue • Florida
1B/DH • Boca Raton, Fla.
• Started all three games as the Gators swept No. 8 Miami in Coral Gables for the second time in school history...Hit .400 (4-for-10), with four RBI, three runs and a pair of homers...Was 1-for-3, scored a run and was hit by a pitch in the five-run ninth inning on Sunday.
• Belted two homers and drove in four runs as a part of a career-best 3-for-4 performance in Saturday’s series-clinched...Tied the game at 3-3 with a fourth-inning homer and snapped a 5-5 tie with a three-run bomb that landed in the third deck of the parking garage overlooking Mark Light Field...Has a .333 batting average, nine RBI, eight runs and three homers in 10 games this season.