2012 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament
Game 2: #5 Alabama 63, #12 South Carolina 57
South Carolina Quotes
Final Stats Book
New Orleans, La. -- Trevor Lacey scored 15 points, JaMychal Green added 12 and Alabama played lockdown defense in the final six minutes to beat South Carolina 63-57 in the opening round of the Southeastern Conference tournament on Thursday.
The fifth-seeded Crimson Tide led for most of the game, but South Carolina tied it at 51 on the second of back-to-back 3-pointers by Brenton Williams with 6:38 remaining. Alabama (21-10) then held 12th-seeded South Carolina (10-21) scoreless for more than five minutes and did enough on offense to ease past the Gamecocks.
South Carolina lost 11 of 12 games to end the season. Alabama won for the fifth time in six games and advances to play Florida in the quarterfinals on Friday.
Williams and Damien Leonard led South Carolina with 13 points each.
Game 2 Notes – Alabama 63, South Carolina 57
Alabama advances to quarterfinals Friday at 2:30 p.m. CST vs. Florida
All-Time Series: Alabama leads 23-13
Season Series: South Carolina won 56-54 in Columbia on Jan. 25.
In the SEC Tournament: UA leads 4-2
• Tied at 13, Alabama went on an 8-0 run for a 21-13 lead.
o Alabama stretched the lead to as many as 14 points and led 37-26 at halftime.
• Trailing 50-40, South Carolina rallied to tie the game at 51 with 6:41 remaining.
• Alabama broke the tie when JaMychal Green was credited with a basket on a goaltending call.
• Trevor Lacey scored the Tide’s next seven points and Alabama went on to win 63-57.
• Alabama is 21-10 and has won four of its last five
o UA is 4-0 in neutral site games this season
• Alabama won points in the paint 32-20.
o That has been a big stat for UA all season, as the Tide entered the game with a +6.8 points per game differential on points in the paint.
• Alabama made 24 of 29 free throws, tying its season high for free throws made.
• Alabama limited USC to 57 points. The Tide entered the game leading the SEC and ranking ninth nationally in scoring defense at 57.9 points per game.
• Trevor Lacey came off the bench to lead Alabama in scoring with 15 points.
South Carolina Notes:
• South Carolina is 10-21.
• USC has lost its opening game at the SEC Tournament the last four seasons.
• The Gamecocks were led in scoring by Damien Leonard and Brenton Williams with 13 points each.
• R.J. Slawson led all rebounders with nine boards.