2012 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament
Game 3: #7 Ole Miss 68, #10 Auburn 54
Ole Miss Quotes
Final Stats Book
New Orleans, La. -- Nick Williams scored a career-high 22 points, and Mississippi defeated Auburn 68-54 in the first round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament on Thursday night.
Williams, whose previous career-high was 21, was 9-of-14 shooting and drained four 3-pointers. Murphy Holloway added 13 points and 13 rebounds for the Rebels (19-12), who have won four straight and might be able to make a case for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament should they upset Tennessee in their second-round game Friday night.
Frankie Sullivan scored 15 points for Auburn (15-16), which lost for the fourth time in five games on the same day the NCAA acknowledged that federal investigators are looking into point-shaving allegations against suspended Tigers guard Varez Ward.
Game 3 Notes – Ole Miss 8, Auburn 54
Ole Miss goes to quarterfinals Friday at 6:30 p.m. CST vs. Tennessee
All-Time Series: Auburn leads 73-52
Season Series: Each team won at home, Auburn 69-68 (2 OT) and Ole Miss 61-54
In the SEC Tournament: Ole Miss now leads 2-1
• The teams were tied at 17 when Ole Miss went ahead and eventually led 28-23 at halftime.
• Ole Miss led all the way in the second half. Auburn got as close as three points at 45-42 but got no closer.
Ole Miss Notes:
• Ole Miss is 19-12 and has won four in a row.
• Ole Miss dominated the rebounding, 45-31.
o The rebounding led to a 19-8 advantage in second-chance points.
o The Rebels are 13-5 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
• No triskaidekaphobia tonight for Murphy Holloway, who had 13 points and 13 rebounds.
o This is his 10th double-double of the season and 24th of his career.
o Ole Miss is 17-9 this season when Holloway has been available the entire game.
• Nick Williams tallied a career-high 22 points. His previous best was 21 vs. Murray State on Nov. 17, 2010.
• Auburn is 15-16.
• Auburn was led by Frankie Sullivan, who tallied 15 points. The Tigers got 11 each from Kenny Gabriel and Chris Denson.
• Adrian Forbes paced the Auburn boardwork with a career-high nine rebounds.