2012 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament
Game 5: #1 Kentucky 60, #8 LSU 51
Final Stats Book
Cartell: 1996 Redux?
New Orleans, La. -- Michael Kidd-Gilchrest scored 19 points and No. 1 Kentucky survived a feisty effort by heavy underdog LSU to take a 60-51 victory Friday in the second round of the Southeastern Conference tournament.
Terrence Jones added 15 points and 11 rebounds, including a 9-0 run by himself that gave the Wildcats (31-1) the lead for good as they extended their winning streak to 23 games. Anthony Davis added 12 points and 14 rebounds after a slow start, and Doron Lamb scored 12.
Storm Warren scored 14 for LSU (18-14), which came in as a 17-point underdog after beating Arkansas in Thursday's opening round. The Tigers led by as much as five points early in the second half before Jones' surge turned the tide.
Andre Stringer added 11 points for the Tigers.
Game 6 Notes – Kentucky 60, LSU 51
UK advances to semifinals Saturday at noon CST vs. Alabama/Florida
(Kentucky’s 39th appearance in tourney semifinals; 36-2 record)
All-Time Series: Kentucky leads the series 82-24
Earlier this Season: On Jan. 28, Kentucky won 74-50 in Baton Rouge
In SEC Tournament Games: Kentucky leads 15-2
• The teams battled evenly in the first half with Kentucky taking a 25-24 lead into intermission.
o LSU held UK to its lowest-scoring first half of the season.
• Trailing 28-24 early in the second half, LSU scored on five-straight possessions for an 11-2 run, putting the Tigers up 35-30.
• UK responded with nine-consecutive points – all by Terrence Jones – to put the Cats up 39-35 and UK never trailed again.
• LSU is 18-14
• LSU placed four players in double figures, led by Storm Warren’s 14 points.
• LSU forced 18 Kentucky turnovers, most by UK this season against an SEC opponent.
• LSU made off with 13 steals, including a career-high five thefts by Anthony Hickey, and a career high-tying four by Andre Stringer.
• Kentucky is 31-1 and has won 23 in a row. The 23-game win streak ties for the seventh-longest in school history.
• Kentucky held LSU to its two lowest point totals of the season, 50 on Jan. 28 and 51 today.
• UK held LSU to 29.4 percent from the field. UK entered the game leading the nation in field-goal percentage defense at 36.5.
• UK , which leads the nation in blocked shots, had nine rejections today.
o UK now has 287 blocks on the season, moving into fourth place in NCAA history in that category.
• UK drew more fouls and made 23 of 33 free throws, with LSU making 8 of 10.
• UK is now 75-1 under Coach John Calipari when holding the opponent to 67 or fewer points.
• UK is 23-0 under Calipari when limiting the opponent to 55 or fewer points.
• Anthony Davis had 12 points and 14 rebounds, his 15th double-double of the season.
o Davis, who leads the nation in blocked shots, also had six blocks today.
• Terrence Jones had 15 points and 11 rebounds, his second double-double of the season.
o Trailing 35-30, Jones scored nine-straight points to put Kentucky ahead for good.