OXFORD, Miss. - The 11th-ranked women’s tennis team (17-3) posted a 4-0 win over Arkansas (12-13) on Friday in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Southeastern Conference Championships, which are being played at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center. With the win, the two-seeded Crimson Tide will take on No. 3 seed Georgia in the semifinals on Saturday at 10 a.m. CT.
“I am really proud of our team today,” said Alabama head coach Jenny Mainz. “This was very encouraging. I think Arkansas played really solid, and they weren’t giving us anything.”
Alabama took the 1-0 lead following doubles with wins on courts two and three. The Tide’s 41st-ranked duo of Antonia Foehse and Mary Anne Macfarlane fought back from an early break to win 8-4 over Stephanie Roy and Emily Carbone on court two. Alabama’s No. 3 duo of Taylor Lindsey and Yasmine Ebada would also post an 8-4 win, securing the doubles point as they took on Kate Lukomskaya and Catherine Parenteau.
In singles, Alabama won first sets on five of the six courts and ended up taking three wins in straight sets for the team victory. Alex Clay awarded the Tide its first point of the afternoon in singles, dominating Lukomskaya, who she lost to in straight sets during the regular season, 6-0, 6-1 on court four. Lindsey would make it a 3-0 lead for Alabama with another decisive win, posting a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Parenteau on court six. It would be a race to the finish to clinch between Guarachi on court two and Foehse on court five as both had won five games in the second set, but in the end, it was Guarachi topping Roy 6-3, 6-2 to send the Tide onto the semifinals.
“We were down in doubles early, and it looked like Arkansas had the momentum, but I liked how we responded,” added Mainz. “We played through the streaks and challenges and made adjustments. Once we found our stride, we opened the gap. I think in most spots we really shut the door in singles. For Alex to answer today after losing to her opponent in the regular season was huge.”
Live scoring will continue to be available for the matches at the tournament and can be found on the women’s tennis schedule page of RollTide.com.
1. No. 22 Guarachi/McLane (UA) vs. Paulson/Gingras (ARK) 7-5, unf.
2. No. 41 Foehse/Macfarlane (UA) def. Roy/Carbone (ARK) 8-4
3. Lindsey/Ebada (UA) def. Lukomskaya/Parenteau (ARK) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. No. 19 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. Emily Carbone (ARK) 7-5, 0-1, unf.
2. No. 44 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Stephanie Roy (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
3. Courtney McLane (UA) vs. Claudine Paulson (ARK) 2-6, 1-5, unf.
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) 6-0, 6-1
5. Antonia Foehse (UA) vs. Laurie Gingras (ARK) 6-3, 5-1, unf.
6. Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. Catherine Parenteau (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,6,2*