PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Anthony Gomez • Vanderbilt
Junior• INF • Nutley, N.J.
• Led VU to wins over No. 23 Louisville and series win at No. 4 LSU, putting the Commodores back in the SEC Tournament. Matched a career-best with four hits in Saturday win at #4 LSU driving in two runs and belting two doubles, including a RBI-double in the eighth inning that helped put the game away.
• His single on Sunday tied the game in the fifth inning. His RBI-double tied the game against #23 Louisville early in the game. His two multi-hit games pushed his team-best total to 23 games.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Kevin Gausman • LSU
Sophomore • RHP • Centennial, Colo.
• Gausman recorded a brilliant outing against Vanderbilt on Friday, firing a complete-game five-hitter in a 2-1 LSU victory … Gausman limited the Commodores to one run on five hits (all singles) in nine innings with one walk and 11 strikeouts … he threw 123 pitches and recorded the first complete game by an LSU pitcher since May 13, 2011
• Gausman improved to 8-1 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.95 in 91.2 innings of work … Gausman leads the SEC in strikeouts with 112 and he has limited opponents to a .235 batting average.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Sam Mahar • Kentucky
LHP • Kenosha, Wis.
• Mahar made three important appearances in relief for Kentucky, including two on Saturday during the doubleheader wins over Alabama … In three appearances, Mahar tossed four innings of shutout baseball, striking out three while allowing no walks … Mahar earned a save in the midweek game against Indiana, coming on in the 12th inning, facing four batters and striking out two to seal the 6-5 win for the Wildcats
• After pitching 0.2 innings in the first game of the doubleheader on Saturday, Mahar tallied his second save of the week, throwing 2.1 innings in relief to seal UK starter Corey Littrell’s 8-1 win over Alabama … As a midweek starter and relief pitcher, Mahar has a 3-3 record on the year, claiming a 2.75 ERA with 32 strike outs to only nine walks in 36 innings pitched.