Sunday SEC Soccer Update > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    Sunday SEC Soccer Update

    Arkansas 1, Texas 0
    Georgia 2, Furman 1
    Auburn 4, High Point 1
    Tennessee 4, Western Kentucky 1
    Missouri 2, UC Santa Barbara 0
    Minnesota 2, South Carolina 1
    Ole Miss 3, Middle Tennessee 1

    Late Goal Lifts Razorbacks Over Texas, 1-0
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas scored the game’s only goal in the 71st minute to win a defensive battle and claim a 1-0 victory over Texas on Sunday at Razorback Field.
    With the win, the Razorbacks are 2-0-0 for the season. Arkansas opened the season with Friday’s 2-1 victory over Austin Peay.
    “Today was a battle and we worked hard and won,” head coach Colby Hale said. “Every person on this team played hard. As long as we play like that, we have a chance to beat anybody. We feel like we can grind with anybody.”
    Hale played 18 Razorbacks with 17 playing 12 or more minutes.
    Texas out-shot the Razorbacks, 19-9, but only had six shots on goal while Arkansas had three.
    At the 71:58 mark, sophomore Jeriann Okoro got behind the defense and into the 18 for a one-on-goalie opportunity. She dribbled to her left and cut hard to her right to get around UT keeper Ava Vogel for a 10-yard shot into an open net.
    The Longhorns got off several shots in the final minutes, but nothing was close.
    Kelly Roliard made five saves in goal for the Razorbacks and got the win.
    “It’s hard to come out on a Sunday at 1 after playing on Friday and play like we did,” Roliard said. “But I’m from Texas (Spring) and nothing pumps me up more than beating my home state school. Everybody played great and we deserved to win.”
    Okoro took three shots for Arkansas with two on goal. Haley Hatcher also had a shot on goal. Sam Wolf, Lindsey Mayo, Hailey Pescatore, Margaret Power and Evan Palmer also had shots.
    “It was a great ball in and it created a good opportunity for me to score,” Okoro, who is from DeSoto, Texas, said of her game-winner. “Texas is good so it’s a big deal that we beat them.”
    Hannah Higgins, Allison Smith and Sharis Lachappelle all had four shots for Texas. Smith and Lachappelle each had two on goal.
    Texas had a huge advantage in corner kicks, 14-2, but the Razorback defense allowed few shots out of those opportunities.
    Both teams fought for control of the ball in the early stages. In fact, neither team was able to even attempt a shot for the first 22 minutes of the game.
    At the 23-minute mark, Texas had a flurry of three shots attempts all from inside the 18.
    Smith had a shot blocked. The rebound went back to Smith and she had a shot at an open goal, but defender Kaylyn Cooper was there for the team save. Smith’s shot bounced off Cooper and to Kristin Cummins, who had her shot blocked.
    The Razorbacks broke through for a pair of shots at the 29-minute mark. Okoro fired a shot from 20 yards that sailed high. A minute later, Palmer took a shot that was also high. At 32:12, Pescatore attempted a header off a corner kick, but the shot was no good.
    Okoro and Wolf attempted back-to-back shots seconds apart with 31 minutes left in the period.


    Georgia Soccer Wins On Hartley’s First Career Goal

    ATHENS, Ga. --- Redshirt freshman midfielder Bella Hartley earned the first start of her collegiate career on Sunday afternoon and made it count, scoring her first goal as a Bulldog in the 83rd minute to lift Georgia to a 2-1 win over Furman at the UGA Soccer Stadium.

    After sitting out the 2011 season following knee surgery, Hartley has seen good minutes in the early-going of 2012 and earned the game-winner today. The Bulldogs improve to 2-0 on the early season after its weekend sweep over the Paladins and UNC Greensboro on Friday night in double overtime. Furman drops to 1-1 with today’s loss.

    “Before I went in I thought I had to find a way to get the ball on frame,” Hartley said. “It came to me, I turned and thought, ‘I have to bomb this.’ Thankfully it hit the back of the net. It’s a great feeling since I’ve had to come back from surgery to get my first goal.”

    “We went in the locker room at halftime and talked about getting it done and winning this game,” she said. “We didn’t want to go to overtime again.”

    Georgia had its first big chance of the day with under 38 minutes showing on the clock when Nicole Locandro threaded a great ball through to Meghan Gibbons, but the forward’s shot sailed just high of the mark. Moments later Madeline Barker fought herself free in the middle and pulled the ball back to her left foot for an open look, but her offering went just high as well.

    Georgia continued to keep the pressure on Furman, dominating the run of play and peppering keeper Rose Hull with shots. The Bulldogs finally broke through when, with just over 10 minutes to play in the first half, Georgia had a chance in front that the Paladin back line was able to cover up, but the ball bounced out to left back Nikki Hill, who fired it back into Furman’s end and past the keeper Hull for her second career goal and first of the season to put the home team up 1-0.

    But just over three minutes later, Furman answered as Alyssa Althoff served a ball over to Hannah Stanifer in front, who headed it past Georgia’s Ashley Baker for the equalizer in the 38th minute.

    The teams would enter the locker rooms at halftime tied 1-1, with shots going 8-7 in Georgia’s favor.

    In the second half the Bulldogs saw a great oportunity with the clock hovering around 37 minutes to play when Barker raced down the sideline and sent a laser of a cross across the goal mouth from the right wing, but no one was there to put it home. With under 34 minutes left in regulation, Hill sent a great service in that found Barker’s head, but the shot went wide right.

    With 27 minutes to go Furman had a big chance of its own as Ali Simpson fired a rocket from long-range that went just high of the frame.

    Still tied at 1-1 late in the second half and with Georgia pulling well in front in the shot column, Hartley found herself free on the left side outside the 18-yard box, and unloaded on the shot that found the upper 90, putting the Bulldogs up 2-1 with seven minutes to play. Georgia then weathered any final chances from Furman to hang on for the victory and the weekend sweep.

    In all, Georgia fired 19 shots to Furman’s 12 while allowing the Paladins just one corner kick chance on the day. Baker made seven saves in goal for Georgia, while Hull and Maggie Grisell – who allowed the game-winner – combined to stop six UGA shots.

    “It’s fantastic – that’s mentality,” said head coach Steve Holeman. “Our team grinded, they battled it out. Any coach will tell you a Sunday game is not the same as a Friday night. We had to call on our bench players to step in and, Bella Hartley, welcome to college.”

    Next up Georgia will see back-to-back weekend road trips, first traveling to Lawrence, Kan., to take on Kansas and South Dakota State Aug. 24-26. Then the Bulldogs will make the trip to Orlando, Fla., to meet South Florida and host UCF on Aug. 31 and Sept. 2, respectively. Georgia’s next home game comes Fri., Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. vs. New Mexico to round out the non-conference slate.


    Balls Two Goals Lift Auburn To 4-1 Win

    AUBURN, Ala. – Tori Ball scored twice off of corner kicks in a five minute span as Auburn ran its record to 2-0-0 with a 4-1 win over High Point (0-1-1) on Sunday afternoon at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

    “We definitely felt better than we did Friday night; we were more cohesive and we played together better,” Auburn Head Coach Karen Hoppa said. “We did a better job of finishing our opportunities today. I was really happy to get that four-goal lead. Overall we are happy to end this opening weekend undefeated.”

    Ball, who is a natural forward but has been a starting center-back to start the season, struck on a pair of right-footed corners as Auburn built its two-goal lead in just under 11 minutes. The first was a high, bending kick that High Point goalkeeper Jesse May was able to put a pair of gloves on but couldn’t hold on at the end of the sixth minute. The second was even cleaner as it sailed to the opposite upper 90 at the 10:47 mark.

    “This is a great way to start off the season,” Ball said. “We did a great job of earning our 12 corners today.”

    Auburn, which dominated the run of play in its Friday night win over Georgia State but only came away with one goal, again controlled the pace of play on Sunday, firing off 34 total shots to just six for High Point. Though neither found the back of the net, Tatiana Coleman and Chelsea Gandy-Cromer each ripped off a team-high six shots in the win.

    Auburn extended its lead to 3-0 nine minutes into the second half when Mary Coffed netted her second goal of the season. Coleman, again pushing the pace, ripped a shot high off the crossbar. When May was unable to corral the rebound, Coffed found herself in just the right spot to head in the rebound.

    “It’s always fun scoring goals and getting wins,” Coffed said. “Tati’s shot rocketed off the post and hung in the air for a long time and I could feel the pressure coming.”

    Freshman Alexa Allen netted Auburn’s final goal of the game in the 63rd minute. Controlling possession at the top of the 18, she worked her way towards the middle of the top of the box before blasting a shot in for her first goal of the season.

    High Point avoided the shutout in the 75th minute when Becca Hemby scored following a free kick.

    Ball’s goals were the fifth and sixth of her career, with five of them now going as game-winners.

    Coffed’s goal was the 13th of her career.



    BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- Senior Amy Harrison enjoyed her second two-goal performance of the 2012 season and Tori Bailey and Ashlee Burt scored a goal each as the Tennessee soccer team crushed Western Kentucky, 4-1, Sunday afternoon at WKU Soccer Complex.

    Tennessee (2-0) scored all four goals in the first half as sophomore goalkeeper Julie Eckel played the fill 90 minutes and made five saves to pick up her second win of the season. UT has scored eight goals in its first two games this year. Western Kentucky fell to 1-1.

    The Lady Vols wasted no time getting on the board. With fast-paced start, Caroline Brown set up Harrison at the top of the box in the third minute. The senior captain ripped the game-winning shot past WKU goalkeeper Nikki Hall to give UT a 1-0 lead at 2:38.

    Western Kentucky answered in the seventh minute with improved possession play. Stephanie Lindsey sent a pass to Lauren Moats on a breakaway near midfield and Moats put one past Eckel from 15 yards out at 6:33.

    Bailey broke the 1-1 tie at the nine-minute mark. Brown picked up her second assist on the day and fourth of the season when she found Bailey near the top of the box for a score from 18 yards out.

    Harrison, who had never scored more than three goals in a season during her UT career, netted her fourth goal of 2012 at 33:18. Kylie Bono sent a great corner kick into the center of the box and Harrison headed it into the center of the goal.

    Burt extended Tennessee’s lead to 4-1 in the 43rd minute, marking her first goal for the Lady Vols after finishing her undergraduate career at Miami. Fellow transfer CC Cobb had a great bend on her free kick taken 10 yards from the top left corner of the box, finding Burt for a header past the diving Hall.


    Mizzou Soccer Downs UC Santa Barbara, 2-0

    COLUMBIA, Mo. - The University of Missouri soccer team scored two goals in the opening 15 minutes to propel the Tigers to a 2-0 win over UC Santa Barbara Sunday afternoon at Walton Stadium. The win improves Mizzou's record to 2-0 on the season, while UCSB fell to 0-2.

    The Tigers wasted no time to find the back of the net as the Mizzou offense took control right from the opening whistle. Just 31 seconds into the match senior Taiwo Adeshigbin passed off to sophomore Abi Raymer, who chipped a 16-yard shot over the Gaucho goalie and into the back of the net. The goal, which put Missouri on top 1-0, was the first of the season for Raymer, while Adeshigbin notched her first assist of the year after a two-goal performance on Aug. 17.

    In the 15th minute, the Tigers struck again. Junior Haley Krentz sent a perfect cross from the right sideline to the box. Junior Alyssa Diggs one-timed the pass right into the net for a 2-0 Tiger advantage. The tally was the third in the first two games for Diggs, while Krentz picked up her second assist of the season.

    Missouri narrowly missed converting other scoring chances as the first half progressed. Diggs and Adeshigbin both had shots that sailed just wide of the goal, to preserve a 2-0 Tiger halftime advantage.

    Play went back in fourth in the second half, with both teams earning scoring opportunities.

    In the 62nd, Krentz nearly put the Tigers up 3-0 with a 20-yard blast from the top of the box, but the Gaucho goalkeeper made a diving save. Twenty minutes later, Krentz lofted a pinpoint corner into the box that found the head of sophomore Taylor Grant. The forward headed the ball toward the net but the shot sailed just over the crossbar.

    The Gauchos had a chance of their own in the final minutes when Indiana Mead sent a pass up to a streaking Erin Ortego. Redshirt freshman McKenzie Sauerwein came off her line to thwart the attempt and preserve the shutout.


    No. 24 Gamecocks Fall On Golden Goal At Minnesota

    MINNEAPOLIS - No. 24 South Carolina played its second overtime match of the weekend but earned its first loss of the season in a 2-1 decision at Minnesota Sunday afternoon.

    Lani Smith scored her first career goal for the Gamecocks (0-1-1) in the final second of the first half to tie the match, but Minnesota's Haley Helverson hit the golden goal for the Gophers (1-1-0) in the 97th minute. Rae Wilson scored the assist on South Carolina's goal.

    Darien Vercillo had a career high four saves in goal for the Gamecocks. The match marked the first time that South Carolina has opened a season with consecutive overtime matches.

    "It was a great test for us," South Carolina head coach Shelley Smith said. "We're preparing for conference games. It's a battle. Unfortunately we didn't get it through in overtime, but the girls played with a lot of heart. That's what I wanted to see. We played a lot of players, so we got a lot out of the weekend. Credit to Minnesota to hang in there and get that goal in overtime. It's something we'll learn from and get better."

    Minnesota took advantage early with a goal in the opening 90 seconds after last year's Big Ten Freshman of the Year Taylor Uhl found herself the recipient of a ball over the top of the defense near midfield. Uhl raced to the goal and slotted the ball in the far post to give the Gophers the early lead.

    South Carolina was able to get movement down the left flank in the opening portions of the match, but Minnesota's left back was able to use her speed to cut off the service attempts into the box. The Gamecocks had their best look of the half in the 14th with a Christa Neary free kick that went over the charging hands of Gopher goalkeeper Cat Parkhill, but Caroline Gray's play with an open net was stopped by a defender.

    The Gophers were afforded a few more opportunities via Uhl with a shot in front of the net in the 12th that went high, a play in the 27th that Vercillo was able to corral out of danger and another breakaway in the 44th that was saved by Vercillo. The final opportunity of the half went to South Carolina however with Smith's goal in the final second keeping the teams even at the break. With the announcer counting down the final 10 seconds, Vercillo's ball to the midfield was flicked up by Rae Wilson to Smith for a desperation shot near 25 yards out that squeaked through Parkhill's hands and slowly rolled six yards across the goal line as time expired.

    "To get a goal before the half was something that was a positive going into (halftime)," Smith said. "We built off that momentum (in the second half). We wanted to get after them and put ourselves in better areas behind their backs. I thought we were more threatening and dangerous (in the second half). We defend well but we have to put the chances away when we have them. We'll get better at that."

    South Carolina was off to a quicker offensive start in the second half, forcing Parkhill to make two saves in the first 10 minutes of the stanza. After being held to one shot in the first half, the Gamecocks played the role of aggressors in the second and put together the closest scoring opportunities throughout the half. South Carolina came close to earning the advantage in the 79th after a header from a Neary free kick went over the net, and Coryn Bajema's rifle in the 82nd forced Parkhill to make a diving tip save to keep the freshman off the board.

    On the other side, Minnesota almost found themselves the beneficiaries of a near own goal by the Gamecocks on a mis-clearance that clanged off the top of the post and out. A breakaway in the 88th then put Vercillo into action as she ran off her line to stop the attack before a shot could get off.

    Heading into the second overtime match of the weekend, the Gamecocks nearly put it away early with a Bajema shot beating the goalkeeper but sliding just wide of the net. The Gophers would seal the deal in the 97th after a service across the mouth of the goal had a swing and miss by a Minnesota player before then meeting Haley Helverson for a rocket into the net.

    Sauerwein made five goals in net for the Tigers.

    Missouri outshot UCSB 19-10 overall, including a 10-5 advantage in shots on goal.



    MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Jennifer Miller made her first career goal an important one as the freshman put in what proved to be the game-winner on Sunday night to lift Ole Miss (2-0) to a 3-1 victory on the road over Middle Tennessee State (1-1).

    Sophomore goal keeper Kelly McCormick delivered a free kick down the field that was headed to Miller by Mandy McCalla as the freshman put the ball into the net in the 72nd minute. The goal snapped a 1-1 tie as Ole Miss moved in front on the way to the win.

    “It was a total team effort with a lot of players coming off the bench and we played a full 90 minutes,” said Ole Miss head coach Matt Mott. “We played well in the first half and scored a good goal. Middle Tennessee State came back right away and scored and made it hard on us. In the second half we started to take control of the game and were really dangerous.

    “It’s great to get a lot of production from a lot of different players,” Mott said. “The freshmen have really come in and given us a lift. The returners are showing some class with Rafaelle Souza and Mandy McCalla scoring tonight. Jennifer Miller scoring the game-winner on her birthday is really special.”

    Ole Miss out-shot Middle Tennessee State 20-to-10 for the match and 14 of the Rebels’ 20 shots were on goal.

    McCalla started the scoring with a goal in the 16th minute of a header from Maddie Cunningham off a corner kick from Sara Coleman. But the lead was short-lived as MTSU came right back and scored a few seconds later to tie the match at one.

    The Rebels appeared to take the lead in the 57th minute, but the goal was disallowed by the far official after Ole Miss headed in the ball on the cross from Rafaelle Souza. A second goal was waved off moments later when Souza was called off-sides on another shot in the box.

    Ole Miss took the lead in the 72nd minute when Miller scored her first goal off the header from McCalla off the McCormick free kick.

    The Rebels pushed the lead out to two goals in the 90th minute when Rafaelle Souza put the ball in the back of the net off a header to make it 3-1 for Ole Miss. The header from Souza was set up by Brooke Theobald who notched her first assist of the year