SEC Soccer Today: September 23 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Today: September 23

    South Carolina 1, Arkansas 1
    Ole Miss 1, Alabama 0
    Tennessee 6, Mississippi State 0
    Texas A&M 2, Auburn 0
    Florida 4, Georgia 1
    Kentucky 2, LSU 1
    Missouri 2, Vanderbilt 0

    South Carolina Draws Arkansas, 1-1, Sunday Afternoon

    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Danielle Au scored her first goal of the season and South Carolina had two first-half goals called back in a 1-1 draw at Arkansas Sunday afternoon at Razorback Field. The Gamecocks move to 3-4-3 (0-2-2 SEC) on the year while Arkansas is now 4-5-1 (1-2-1).

    Au scored in the 70th minute with assists by Ali Whitney and Taylor Leach to break a three-match scoreless streak to start league play. Sophomore Sabrina D’Angelo registered six saves in the game.

    The match marked the fifth overtime game in 10 contests this season for South Carolina. The Gamecocks move to 0-2-3 on the season in extra time matches.

    The Gamecocks nearly broke the scoring drought in the seventh minute with a shot by Au in front of the goal off a corner kick, but goalkeeper Kelly Roliard was in the right spot to smother it on the ground. Courtney Angotti-Smith made her stake at scoring the opening tally in the 16th minute with a goal that was nullified due to an offsides call. Au fed Coryn Bajema near the top of the ’18 for a shot on goal, but Roliard deflected it for a save, causing Angotti-Smith’s rebound goal to be nullified as an offsides player.

    Arkansas gave the Gamecocks a scare in the 27th minute after a long throw-in led to two attempts inside the ’18 with D’Angelo out of the net, but the Razorbacks were not able to get one of their attempts across the line. After an Au breakaway in the 32nd ended with a blocked shot, the Razorbacks again gave Carolina a score when Taylor Green’s shot from range in the 39th hit the far post and bounced out to keep the match scoreless.

    South Carolina had two near-goals come back-to-back in the 44th minute – one on a mistake by Arkansas and another that went in but was called back. An Ali Whitney throw-in came close to ending in an Arkansas own goal after a mis-clearance, leading to a South Carolina corner kick. Andie Romness’s resulting set piece was headed into the back of the net by a Gamecock attacker, but the officials whistled for a foul on the play, negating a Gamecocks goal for the second time in the first half. South Carolina went into the break with a 10-3 edge in shots (3-2 shots on goal) and a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.

    The Razorbacks mounted a strong offensive to begin the second half, getting a look in the 49th that was saved by D’Angelo before breaking through for the goal in the 55th minute with a goal by Jeriann Okoro who was the recipient of a perfectly-crossed ball on a breakaway by Phyllis George.

    After the Arkansas goal, the Gamecocks mounted an offensive onslaught of their own that was finally rewarded in the 70th minute with a goal by Au courtesy of assists by Ali Whitney and Taylor Leach. Whitney’s long throw-in into the box was played to Au for the goal.

    Angotti-Smith nearly provided the winning score in the 80th minute with a chance off a Carly Ray throw-in that the goalkeeper was able to grab before a solid shot could be taken. The two teams continued to trade runs in the final 10 minutes of regulation, but neither squad could muster an attempt on goal.

    Both teams had one look on goal in the first overtime period with Samantha Gonzalez getting a shot on frame in the 91st and Arkansas’s Allie Chandler giving D’Angelo a strong test in the 96th.



    TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Kelly McCormick came up big for the Rebels on Sunday, posting eight saves on the afternoon including a big save on a penalty kick as Ole Miss (9-2, 2-2 SEC) shutout Alabama (6-3-1, 1-2-1 SEC) at the Alabama Soccer Stadium.

    The Rebels claimed the road win in large part thanks to a swarming defense that was able to come up with big stops throughout the course of the match  and the foot of junior forward Mandy McCalla.

    McCalla put the only ball in the net on the afternoon when she delivered on a penalty kick in the 60th minute to get the Rebels on the board. It was the 10th goal of the season for McCalla, who leads Ole Miss in the category and also sits atop the SEC.

    It was the blank sheet turned in by McCormick and the defense that stood out the most for the Rebels. Alabama had not been shut out all season until the win by the Rebels.

    “It’s so hard to get a shutout on the road in the Southeastern Conference,” said Ole Miss head coach Matthew Mott. “We fought hard for 90 minutes and right up to the last kick of the game. We got a great save late from Kelly (McCormick). It was a gutty performance for us against a good team that is well coached and organized.

    “Our back line is really coming together and they played fantastic,” Mott said. “Maddie Cunningham, Maddie Friedmann, Jessica Hiskey and Samantha Sanders all played well. Emily Sinovich came off the bench and gave us great minutes back there. Kelly (McCormick) was just lights out on the road in the SEC.”

    The Rebels have now shutout Alabama in two straight meetings after picking up a 3-0 win over the Crimson Tide last season in Oxford.

    Ole Miss got opportunities early, taking four solid shots in the first 15 minutes of the match that included a pair at close range from Souza that clipped the crossbar. The Rebels also got a shot from Bethany Bunker that sailed high and one from Brooke Theobald that also clipped the crossbar.

    All-told, the Rebels outshot the Crimson Tide 8-to-6 in the first half. Sophomore goalkeeper Kelly McCormick posted four saves on Alabama shots, while the other two Crimson Tide shots sailed high and wide.

    Alabama got its best opportunity of the afternoon on a penalty kick in the 55th minute. The Crimson Tide lined up the shot from Theresa Diederich, but McCormick came up with a diving save to keep Alabama off the board.

    Ole Miss finally got on the board in the 60th minute when McCalla converted her penalty kick opportunity. The junior dribbled in from the far side of the box before being taken down as she lined up for a shot. McCalla then lined up for the penalty kick and drilled the ball into the net to put the Rebels on top.



    STARKVILLE, Miss. - Sophomore Iyana Moore pulled off a hat trick, Katie Lenz had one goal and two assists, Hannah Wilkinson scored 16 seconds into the game and the No. 23 Tennessee soccer team crushed Mississippi State, 6-0, Sunday afternoon at MSU Soccer Field.

    "Certainly scoring 16 seconds into the game is a good thing," Head coach Brian Pensky said. "We talked for the last day and a half since our loss Friday night about: ‘1 o'clock, you've got to be ready. 1 o'clock Sunday our determination has got to be right.' To get one that quickly was obviously a good thing.

    In the bigger picture of the game, we had 33 shots, 22 shots in the first half. We got Katie Lenz her first goal. Iyana Moore got a couple. Hannah Wilkinson had another one. Gabby Santorio had the first goal of her career. Then in the second half I thought we did a good job. We just wanted to keep the ball in the second half. We go up a player because of their red card. It was just, `Let's just kind of kill off the game. If we have some opportunities going forward, great. But let's just keep the ball and let it be an attractive second half.' I think we did well with that."

    Moore was brilliant in the UT win, scoring in the 40th, 64th and 67th minute for UT's first hat trick since Sept. 26, 2011, when Alexis Owens scored three goals on Florida.

    "We didn't get the win last game, so it was really important that we got the win today," Moore said, referring to Friday's 2-1 loss at Florida in the rain. "I thought the team did everything to get the ball into the back of the net. And it wasn't all me. All props go to the team."

    Tennessee (7-2-2, 2-1-1 SEC) got on the scoreboard in a hurry. Sixteen seconds into the game, Kylie Bono collected the ball off a Mississippi State turnover and passed it forward to Wilkinson in the box. Wilkinson fired the game-winner square at the center of the net, giving UT a 1-0 lead.

    Mississippi State (7-3-1, 0-3-1 SEC) played one player down for the majority of the game. In the 19th minute, Wilkinson was sprinting into the box with the ball and a defender on her. MSU starting goalkeeper Skylar Rosson made an aggressive slide into Wilkinson in the box and drew a red card. CJ Winship played the rest of the match in goal for the Bulldogs.

    The Lady Vols grew their lead to 2-0 in the 40th minute. Iyana Moore played a ball sent in from the far side by Peyton Thomas that deflected off an MSU defender. With a one-on-one on the goalkeeper from about seven yards out, Moore sent in a shot to the left middle of the net for her second career goal.
    Lenz, a junior transfer from West Virginia, scored her first goal as a Lady Vol in the 54th minute, dribbling the ball from 19 yards out for a shot two yards out. Tennessee's advantage grew to 4-0.

    In the 59th minute, Gabby Santorio found the back of the net for her first collegiate goal. On a ball sent in from Lenz and Susan Ferguson, Santorio's shot went in off a deflection.

    Moore scored for the second time 64th minute, pushing UT's lead to 5-0. Taking a ball sent in from Lexi Krause off the left side, Moore punched the ball in from three yards out with a defender on her shoulder.


    Aggies Top Auburn, 2-0, for Ninth Straight Win

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas –Sophomore goalkeeper Jordan Day made SEC history with her seventh consecutive shutout as the Texas A&M Aggies blanked the Auburn Tigers, 2-0, at Ellis Field on Sunday afternoon for their ninth consecutive victory.

    With the win, Day tied the SEC record for most consecutive shutouts by a goalkeeper, matching the mark set by South Carolina’s Mollie Patton in 2009. The Aggies’ defense extended their scoreless streak to 696 minutes.

    The win moved Texas A&M to 10-1-0 overall and 4-0-0 in the SEC. With 12 points, the Aggies’ lead in the SEC Western Division ballooned to six points with A&M now leading second-place Ole Miss, who has six points after a 1-0 win against Alabama on Sunday.

    It marks the first time the Aggies have started 4-0-0 in league action since the 2006 campaign. That year, Texas A&M rattled off wins against Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma to start Big 12 play.

    Texas A&M drew first blood with 7:12 remaining in the first half as senior Catalina Clavijo scored her first goal since August 30, 2009. Sophhomore Bianca Brinson was the catalyst on the goal as she went full sprint chasing a ball into the penalty box from the right side. After eluding a defender, Brinson worked the ball to the end line at the edge of the goal area. The Tigers’ goalkeeper Amy Howard took the bait and approached Brinson to halt the assault. Brinson centered to Clavijo who was unmarked and Clavijo knocked the ball into the evacuated goal for the 1-0 lead.

    With Auburn turning up the offensive intensity in the second half, the Maroon and White was able to breathe easier after scoring on a set piece for the fourth consecutive game with just over five minutes remaining in the contest. Jayne Eadie launched a free kick into the penalty box from 40 yards out. The ball hit the crossbar squarely and bounced back to Beth West 10 yards in front of the goal. The senior captain knocked the ball past a disoriented Auburn netminder and into the top netting for the insurance goal and a 2-0 advantage.

    The Aggies’ shutout streak was in jeopardy on two notable occasions. In the first half, Auburn’s Alexa Allen fired a cannon shot across the front of the bow from the right flank.  Day was able to get a glove on the ball and the ricochet hit the left post. A little more than one minute after A&M’s first goal, Ana Cate got her head on a cross six yards in front of the box, but sent it wide right.

    Texas A&M’s best uncapitalized scoring chance came with 20:11 remaining in the first half. Shea Groom boomed a cross into the goal area from the right side. An errant clear by an Auburn defender sent the carom goalward where Howard had to punch the ball over the goal to keep the Aggies off the scoreboard.

    The Maroon and White’s current nine-game win streak is the longest by the Aggies since the 2007 season when they won 10 consecutive games.


    Gator Soccer Defeats Georgia 4-1

    GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Goals by four different Gators gave the University of Florida soccer team (6-3-1, 3-1 SEC) a 4-1 win over Georgia (5-5-1, 1-2-1 SEC) Sunday afternoon at the James G. Pressly Stadium. It was the biggest offensive output by the Gators this season.

    After a scoreless opening 45 minutes, the Gators clicked off four unanswered goals in a 25-minute span, beginning when senior Holly King scored off a corner kick in the 55th minute. The ball sent by sophomore Annie Speese to the far post was headed in by King.

    A last-second adjustment led to the Gators first score.

    "Annie Speese was hitting a corner and my run was going to be center but the ball was going further out," King said. "I saw that the goalkeeper was on near post so I headed it in far post."

    King has used her head to score off a set piece now for three consecutive Sundays. She headed in free kick goals versus New Mexico and at Auburn. It was her third goal of the season, matching her career high set in 2009 and matched in 2011.

    Another Gator, Havana Solaun, scored her third goal of the season Sunday. Freshman Claire Falknor was fighting with a pair of Bulldogs for control of the ball at the six-yard box off the deflection of Adriana Leon's shot. Falknor pushed the ball into space where Maggie Rodgers quickly played it to the top of the box. Solaun took the shot from 14 yards which scored at the far post corner at 64:29.

    "The forwards were working really hard to keep it in front of the goal and Maggie [Rodgers] kind of had the ball. I said to her 'set, set,' and she turned around and I laid it off," Solaun said. "I just tried to keep it low and put it into the back corner."

    The Gators were awarded their third penalty kick of the last four matches after the Bulldogs were called for a handball in the box as they tried to clear a Rodgers' cross. Senior Jo Dragotta scored off the PK - the first goal of her collegiate career.

    Goal scoring predictions is an amateur art among the Gators as they share among themselves when they get a feeling about who is going to score. Dragotta got those predictions, but it wasn't until the second match of the weekend that they proved prophetic.

    "It was really exciting. It is kind of funny because a couple people came up to me before the Tennessee game and said they had a feeling I was going to score. And then when I didn't score I was like, 'Dang it, I lost my chance,'" Dragotta said. "Then our manager KeLeigh [Hudson] came up to me before this game and said I was going to score. Then the PK happened and I was said I wanted to take it."

    The Gators got their final goal from sophomore Jillian Graff in the 79th minute. From the end line, freshman Brooke Smith sent a low pass to Graff, located at the corner of the six-yard box. Her shot hit the cross bar and banged down into the goal. It was her second goal of the season.

    Georgia's Tori Cooper broke up the shutout attempt when she scored from 12 yards in the 86th minute.

    Execution was the key today that allowed the Gators to be successful against the Bulldogs' high defensive line, Florida Head Coach Becky Burleigh said.

    "It's not about motivation, it was really about execution.  We didn't really want to get them fired up - we needed to get them to relax and execute," Burleigh said. "That's the difference between this year and last year. I mean we're not going to work our way through this bunker. We're going to be smart enough to play through this bunker.

    "The goals were good goals; really good plays, smart decisions, good balls spread across," Burleigh continued. "We had some other opportunities that we failed to finish but ultimately I think we created enough opportunities to get the goals that we did get."

    Florida's starting goalkeeper, Taylor Burke, faced no shots on goal in her 79 minutes played. She was replaced by freshman Valerie Tysinger for the final 11 minutes. Georgia senior Ashley Baker recorded four saves Sunday.

    A sprained left ankle suffered in Friday's 2-1 win against Tennessee put senior All-American Erika Tymrak on the sideline for today's match. She joined fellow senior All-American Kathryn Williamson who suffered a torn meniscus Sept. 2 versus FIU. Both players were on the minds of those on the field.

    "Our team stepped up a lot. Everyone stepped up their own role. Obviously, those were big-time players that were missing but we have other players that are perfectly capable of filling their positions," Dragotta said. "It was a great win for us today."


    Raetzman's Two Goals Lift No. 18 UK to 2-1 OT Win

    BATON ROUGE, La. - The No. 18 University of Kentucky women's soccer team (8-2-0, 3-1-0 SEC) struck gold in the 106th minute of overtime to capture a 2-1 Southeastern Conference road win over LSU Sunday afternoon at LSU Soccer stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

    The golden goal came off the foot of freshman Courtney Raetzman in the 106th minute as the shot from about 22 yards out hit the top of the crossbar, and fell down, just crossing the stripe for the goal. The possession came off the UK midfield earning a turnover from a throw in. Raetzman's goal was her second of the afternoon, and fourth goal of the season.

    "I am very proud of this team today," UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. "Not only did we play in the heat, but I'm proud of how we played the game today. We were able to keep possession and create some really great scoring chances all through the game. Look, LSU is a phenomenal team. We know every time we play Brian (Lee) and his staff, they are going to be ready for us with a great game plan and great players."

    Raetzman has been on a tear lately, striking for four goals in four games, all while tallying a massive 10 points over the last two weekends of action.

    UK struck first in the opening half when Raetzman netted her third goal of the season as she headed home the games opening tally with just over 18 minutes remaining in the first half. The service was provided from fellow freshman Kelli Hubly on a re-fire from a blocked cross. The ball came across the mouth of the goal and was touched in for the tally.

    LSU struck just nine minutes into the second half on a penalty kick by goalkeeper Megan Kinneman. The foul was whistled inside the 18 as the LSU forward fell to the ground when her legs got tangled up on entry to the box. The goal was just the second all season that keeper Kayla Price had allowed.
    Kentucky thought they struck for the go-ahead goal with just nine minutes remaining, as junior Caitlin Landis put in a rebound off a Natalie Horner miss on a corner-kick opportunity, however the goal was called back for offside on the rebound attempt after the save on Horner's shot.

    The remaining seconds of regulation would see very few scoring chances as UK and LSU would head to overtime.

    The overtime match was the first of the season for UK, as LSU had already drawn a tie in three prior contests to Sunday's game.

    UK would earn a few corner kicks in the first overtime frame, as junior Danielle Krohn was working hard in midfield serving balls in that UK connected on, but could never find the back of the net. The 10-minute session ended with the score still tied at 1-1.

    Olivia Jester forced the Tigers to record a team save in the second OT frame as she had an open net and just lost control of her plant foot as she had the keeper beat, but couldn't get it past the last line of defense as there was a back save.

    The overtime win was UK's fourth in its last six overtime games, as Kentucky went 3-1-1 in 2011 in extra-session games.


    No. 15 Mizzou Dominates Vanderbilt, 2-0

    COLUMBIA, Mo. - The No. 15 Mizzou soccer team Uposted a dominating 2-0 win over Vanderbilt Sunday afternoon at Walton Stadium. With the win, the Tigers improved to 9-1 overall and 4-0 in Southeastern Conference action, while the Commodores fell to 4-4-3 and 1-1-2.

    "We thought Vanderbilt was extremely hard to break down and very aggressive to the ball," Head Coach Bryan Blitz said. "Add that to a goalkeeper who had a great performance and it made our day very difficult."

    Missouri controlled play during most of the contest, as the team had a 39-6 advantage in shots, a 13-2 edge in shots on goal and a 15-3 lead in corner kicks.

    In the 12th minute sophomore Taylor Grant nearly put the Tigers up when she blasted an eight-yard shot on net. However Vanderbilt's defense blocked the attempt away to force a Tiger corner kick.

    The Mizzou offense continued its onslaught but it was not until the 23rd minute that the team finally broke through. Sophomore Kaysie Clark, stationed out wide, sent a ball toward the goal. Senior Jessica Greer ran to the near post and deflected the ball around Vanderbilt's goalie for a 1-0 Tiger lead. The tally was the second of the year for Greer, while the assist was Clark's first of the season.

    Clark almost posted a goal of her own in the 28th minute but the Commodore keeper got her arm on Clark's short attempt.

    Mizzou wasted no time adding to its lead in the second half as senior Taiwo Adeshigbin found the back of the net in the 48th minute. Clark threaded a perfectly placed pass into the box that Adeshigbin gathered and unleashed a shot past Vanderbilt's goalie for a 2-0 Tiger lead. The goal was Adeshigbin's team-leading fifth of the year, while it marked the second assist of the game and season for Clark.

    The Tigers' flurry of shots continued throughout the remainder of the second half, including two consecutive shots of the post for Grant and senior Haley Krentz. But the Vanderbilt defense held firm for a 2-0 final score.

    Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein made two saves in the game.