SEC Cross Country Athletes of the Week (Sept. 25, 2012)
Men’s Runner of the Week: Kemoy Campbell, Arkansas
• Pulled away late to win the individual title at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational in Earlysville, Va., in his debut in a Razorback uniform.
• Crossed the finish line in an 8K time of 24:04.7, more than seven seconds ahead of the second-place runner.
• Currently holds the top 8K time in the SEC so far this season.
• Paced Arkansas to a second-place team finish and was the first of three top-five performers for the Razorbacks in the race. Arkansas was second in the race only to No. 4 Oklahoma.
Men’s Freshman of the Week: Cale Wallace, Arkansas
• Competing in his first collegiate 8K, placed fifth in the Razorbacks’ lineup at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational in Earlysville, Va.
• Finished in 28th place overall with a time of 25:10.3, placing third among freshmen in the race. He was the only underclassman to crack Arkansas’ top-five.
• Helped the Razorbacks to a second-place team finish. Arkansas was second in the race only to No. 4 Oklahoma.
Women’s Runner of the Week: Laura Carleton, LSU
• Captured the individual title at the LSU Invitational this past weekend with a time of 20:34.70, marking her second consecutive top-10 finish after a fifth-place showing at the highly competitive Commodore Classic a week ago.
• Helped the Tigers claim the team crown at the LSU Invitational. LSU placed seven runners in the overall top-10, including the first three spots.
• Currently holds the top 6K time in the SEC so far this season.
Women’s Freshman of the Week: Mary Kate Ponder, Kentucky
• Finished the first 5K event of her collegiate career in a time of 20:49.70, crossing the finish line in 32nd place overall at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational.
• Improved four spots from her 36th-place finish at the two-mile mark.
• Helped the Wildcats to a second-place team finish at the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational, the team’s second such placing in as many meets this season.