SEC Volleyball Match of the Week
Georgia (8-6, 2-3 SEC) at LSU (6-9, 2-4 SEC)
Wednesday, Oct. 3 • 7 p.m. ET • ESPNU/WatchESPN.com
Baton Rouge, La.
LSU hosts Georgia in the SEC Volleyball Match of the Week on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 7 p.m. ET on ESPNU. The match will also be streamed online at WatchESPN.com. The Bulldogs enter Wednesday’s contest with an 8-6 (2-3 SEC) mark and are led by Tirah Le'au’s 3.02 kills per set. Junior middle blocker Elena Perri is seventh in the SEC with 1.10 blocks per set while classmate Allison Summers is fifth in league play in digs per set (4.35). The 6-9 (2-4 SEC) Tigers are paced by Desiree Elliott, who ranks ninth in the SEC with 3.44 kills per set. Middle blocker Khourtni Fears is fifth in the conference in blocks (1.12 bps) while defensive specialist Sam Delahoussaye is tops on the team with 4.42 digs per set in league play. Georgia and LSU have met 49 times on the volleyball court in a series that dates back to 1982. LSU leads the all-time series 19-30 and has won each of the last seven meetings between the schools. Georgia’s last win came in 2008 when the Bulldogs won 3-0 at home.
• The Bulldogs are rewriting the UG record books when it comes to the blocking this season. Georgia has totaled 121 blocks through the first 14 matches. Led by Elena Perri with 54, the Bulldogs have a new program-best in total blocks in a four-set match with 17 vs. FIU.
• Georgia has played just five matches on its home court inside the Ramsey Center. After starting the season with three-straight home matches, Georgia played its next eight matches on the road.
• The Bulldogs will play in its first televised match of the season when it travels to LSU. UG will take to the court in front of a televised audience again on October 24 when SEC newcomer Missouri comes to Athens for a 7 p.m. match at the Ramsey Student Center.
• LSU has played 13 of its first 15 matches on the road, but will play seven of its next nine contests at the Maravich Center.
• Six of LSU’s nine losses this season have come against AVCA Top 25 opponents or teams receiving votes in the poll.
• The Tigers have picked up sweeps in three of their six victories but have been swept in six of their nine setbacks during the 2012 campaign.