SECond HELPING OF SEC FOOTBALL (Oct. 11, 2012)
* - The first BCS standings of the 2012 season will be released on Sunday, Oct. 14 during ESPN’s BCS Countdown Show (8:30 p.m. ET / 7:30 p.m. CT). In advance of the airing, here are some facts about the SEC and the BCS:
· Using conference alignment at the time of games played, the SEC has had the most appearances of any conference in the BCS standings (451). The Big 12 is second at 435 and the Big Ten third at 392.
· The SEC, ACC and Big 12 have put the most schools in the BCS standings in its history with 11 each. The Pac-12 and the Big Ten have put 10 teams each in the BCS standings.
· Five SEC teams have been ranked at one time or another as the top team in the nation in the BCS standings during its history (31 total weeks) – Alabama (6 times), Auburn (3), Florida (7), LSU (10) and Tennessee (5).
· Here is a listing of the amount of times each SEC team has been ranked in the BCS standings (using current conference alignment): Alabama (50), Arkansas (31), Auburn (45), Florida (85), Georgia (61), Kentucky (4), LSU (73), Ole Miss (9), Mississippi State (15), Missouri (32), South Carolina (25), Tennessee (52) and Texas A&M (30).
· An SEC team has been the top ranked team in 10 straight BCS standings, dating back to the last two weeks of the 2010 season. LSU was the top-ranked team in all 8 BCS standings last season and Auburn was the top-ranked team in the last two standings of the 2010 season. Oregon (Nov. 21, 2010) is the last non-SEC team to be ranked No. 1 in the BCS standings.
· The most consecutive weeks for a conference at No. 1 is 12, set by the Big Ten (Ohio State) during the 2006-07 seasons and the Big 12 (using conference alignment at time game was played), with Nebraska and Oklahoma during 2000-01 seasons.
· An SEC team has been ranked No. 1 in 24 of the last 32 BCS Standings (dating back to 2008).
* - Texas A&M visits No. 23 (AP) / Nov. 24 (USA Today) Louisiana Tech on Saturday in Shreveport. It will be the fifth time this season that an SEC team has played a non-conference Top 25 team (ranking at time game was played). SEC teams are 1-3 thus far in 2012 against non-conference Top 25 teams. Teams from the SEC have posted 38 wins in the last seven seasons (2006-12) against non-conference Top 25 teams (at time game was played). Using ranking at time game was played, SEC teams have been teams ranked 1-25 since 2006 with the exception of 5-6-11.
* - Florida visits Vanderbilt on Saturday. Since 1992, the Gators have the best record away from home (Gainesville / does include Jacksonville games) in conference games at 68-23 (.747). Alabama and Tennessee, which have the second best record (51-30, .630), are also on the road this weekend – the Crimson Tide at Missouri and the Vols at Mississippi State.
* - DRIVE CHART EFFICIENCY / OFFENSE: Alabama leads the SEC, averaging 3.22 points for each offensive drive. The Tide also lead the league in percentage of drives ending in scores (TD+FG) at 56.9 percent (33 scores on 58 drives) and TD scoring efficiency (37.9 percent / 22 of 58). South Carolina is close behind on TD efficiency (37.8 / 31 of 74).
* - DRIVE CHART EFFICIENCY / DEFENSE: Alabama (0.59 / 35 points allowed on 59 opponent drives), South Carolina (0.81 / 63 on 78), Florida (0.95 / 57 on 60) and LSU (0.95 / 77 on 81) are averaging less than one point on every opponents’ offensive drive. Alabama leads SEC in allowing least amount of scores per opponents’ offensive drive (08.5 percent / 5 – all TDs – of 59 drives).
* - Florida is the only NCAA FBS team to not allow a fourth-quarter point this season. The Gators are outscoring opponents 41-0 in the fourth quarter this season, the largest scoring margin of any SEC team this season. South Carolina has outscored opponents by 40 points (61-21) in the fourth quarter this season. 9 SEC teams are outscoring opponents in the fourth quarter this season.
* - LSU leads the SEC in opponents’ three-downs-and-out percentage at 45.7 percent (37 of 81 drives). Alabama is second (42.4 percent / 25 of 59) and Florida is third (41.7 percent / 25 of 60). The SEC average is 33.1 percent.
* - Alabama and South Carolina have not allowed any points when an opponent starts a drive of its own turnover. The SEC average is 24.3 points per team. The Crimson Tide have scored 84 points off of drives started when it gets a turnover. The SEC average is 36.2 points per team.
* - SEC teams have scored on drives lasting less than two minutes 149 times during the first six weeks of the season. SEC teams have scored on drives lasting more than five minutes 41 times so far this season.
* - Since the start of the AP poll in 1936, a team has received all first place votes a total of 51 times. Three SEC teams – Alabama, LSU and Tennessee – have received unanimous No. 1 votes in AP polls. Alabama has received all first place votes during the last two polls as well as the final polls of the 1992 and 2009 seasons. LSU has been a unanimous selection 5 times including four polls last season and Week 6 poll in 2007. Tennessee all first place votes in two polls, both in 1998 (week 14 & final).
* - SEC kickers have accounted for 213 touchbacks so far this season on 459 kickoffs, a 46.4 percent ratio. In all of last season, SEC kickers had 190 touchbacks on 841 kickoffs, a 22.6 percent ratio.
* - SEC PLAYERS LISTED AS ACTIVE CAREER LEADERS IN NCAA FBS DIVISION
Rushing Yards per Carry – Onterio McCalebb, Auburn (6.31 ypc)
Yards per Catch – Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas (18.0 ypc)
Interception Return Yards – Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State (274 yards)
Punt Return Yards – Dustin Harris, Texas A&M (872 yards)
Punt Return Yards per Game – Dustin Harris, Texas A&M (20.3 ypg)
Punt Return Yards per Return – Dustin Harris, Texas A&M (14.06 ypr)
Punt Return TDs – Dustin Harris, Texas A&M; Marcus Murphy, Missouri (3 TDs)
Sacks per Game – Jarvis Jones, Georgia (1.0 spg)
THIS WEEK’S GAMES
Auburn at Ole Miss (11:21 a.m. CT / SEC Network / Sirius 137 / XM 199)
Auburn leads all-time series with Ole Miss, 27-9 … Tigers lead series, 9-2, in games played in Oxford … Auburn has won the last three meetings in the series … Last Ole Miss win was a 17-7 decision in 2008 at Oxford … This will be the Homecoming Game for Ole Miss … Rebels are 67-15-2 (.810) in Homecoming Games … Emory Blake is just the ninth receiver in Auburn history to record 100 career catches (100) and is 10th in career yardage with 1,573 yards … Ole Miss is 25th nationally in rushing offense (213.0 ypg) and leads all SEC teams in first downs by rushing (79) … Rebel RB Jeff Scott is 7th in the SEC, averaging 85.0 rushing yards per game … Auburn LB Daren Bates leads the SEC and is 10th nationally, averaging 10.8 tackles per game.
Alabama at Missouri (2:30 p.m. CT / CBS Sports / Sirius 138 – 85 / XM 198 – 85)
Missouri leads series with Alabama, 2-1 … Last time teams met was in 1978 with Alabama claiming a 38-20 decision in Columbia … The teams also met in 1975 in Birmingham with Missouri winning, 20-7, and in the 1968 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, with the Tigers winning, 35-10 … The last time a top-ranked team came to Columbia to play was in 2010, when Oklahoma (ranked No. 1 in the BCS Rankings), were defeated by Missouri, 36-27 … Missouri has not defeated an AP top-ranked team in 12 previous attempts … Alabama leads the SEC in red zone defense, allowing points on 57.1 percent (4 of 7) of opponents red zone opportunities … Nationally in 2012, only BYU and Duke have better percentages than Alabama … Head coaches Nick Saban (Alabama) and Gary Pinkel (Missouri) both graduated from Kent State (Saban – 1973; Pinkel – 1975) and were teammates on the Golden Flashes squad … This will mark the first time they will face each other as head coaches.
Florida at Vanderbilt (5 p.m. CT / ESPNU / Sirius 137 / XM 199)
Florida leads the series between the two teams, 34-9-2 … The Gators have won 21 straight against the Commodores with the last Vandy win coming in 1988 (24-9) … In Nashville, the Gators hold a 15-7-1 advantage … Florida has scored points in 17 of 20 (85 percent) quarters played this season, scoring TDs in 12 of 20 quarters (60 percent) … The Gators are averaging 19:17 minutes of possession (of 30 minutes) in the second half this season … Florida is allowing 42 yards in the 4th quarter this season and 69.2 yards in the 3rd quarter … Zac Stacy’s 2,415 career rushing yards is third in Vandy history and just 75 yards behind 2nd place Carl Woods (1983-86; 2,490 yards) … Stacy’s 23 career rushing TDs is third in school history and one TD behind 2nd place Marcus Wilson (1989-92; 24) and three behind 1st place Dean Davidson (1947-50; 26 TDs).
Kentucky at Arkansas (6 p.m. CT / FSN / Sirius 134 / XM 200)
Kentucky leads the series with Arkansas, 4-2, including winning twice in Fayetteville … The last meeting between the two was in 2008, with Kentucky winning, 21-20, in Lexington … The Razorbacks eight sacks against Auburn last week tied for the highest single-game total in the SEC this season and for the second-highest in the NCAA FBS this season … Kentucky’s schedule has been ranked as the fifth-toughest in the nation, according to the Sagarin computer rankings … The Wildcats have played 15 true freshmen this season, which is among the top five in the nation … Arkansas is the only SEC team and one of nine in FBS to pass for more than 400 yards in multiple games this season … UK junior LB Avery Williamson leads the team and second in the SEC in tackles per game (10.7) … Razorback QB Tyler Wilson leads the SEC and is 8th in the FS, averaging 317.0 passing yards per game.
South Carolina at LSU (7 p.m. CT / ESPN / Sirius 85 – 91 / XM 85 – 91)
LSU leads the series with South Carolina, 16-2-1 … The Tigers lead in games played in Baton Rouge, 10-1 … LSU has won the last four games in the series with the last meeting coming in 2008 in Columbia (LSU, 24-17) … Les Miles is 2-0 against the Gamecocks as a head coach while Steve Spurrier is 11-3 against the Tigers … Carolina has won a school-record 10 straight games going into this contest and is currently the longest active streak in NCAA FBS … Miles is 17-1 in games following a loss, which includes a 6-0 record when a road loss is followed by a game … Both teams are in the midst of tough schedules … The combined record of LSU’s last opponent and next four opponents is 25-1 (Florida, 5-0, South Carolina, 6-0, Texas A&M, 4-1, Alabama, 5-0, Mississippi State, 5-0) … South Carolina’s last opponent and next three opponents is 18-4 (Georgia, 5-1, LSU, 5-1, Florida, 5-0, Tennessee, 3-2) … Carolina sophomore DE Jadeveon Clowney is second in the SEC in sacks (6.5) and tackles for loss (11.5) … Tiger LB Kevin Minter recorded 20 tackles last week against Florida, one shy of the school record … South Carolina and LSU are 2-3 in the SEC in total defense and 2-4 in the league in scoring defense.
Tennessee at Mississippi State (8 p.m. CT / ESPN2 / Sirius 128 / XM 197)
Tennessee leads the series with Mississippi State, 28-15-1 … In games played in Starkville, the Vols lead, 5-4 … Tennessee has won the last six meetings between the two and have a 9-1 record against State in the last 10 meetings … Tennessee took a 34-3 decision in 2008 in Knoxville in the last meeting of the two … The Bulldogs have won their last seven games, which is tied for the fifth longest active streak in NCAA FBS … It is also tied for the fifth longest in school history … Game pits the SEC’s leader in passing offense (329.2 yards per game) against the league’s leader in interceptions (9, tied with Alabama and Tennessee) and fourth in pass efficiency defense (101.5 rating) … Vol QB Tyler Bray is second in the SEC in passing yards per game (316.4) while State’s Darius Slay is tied for the league lead in interceptions (4) and Johnthan Banks is third (3) … State has given up only two touchdowns in the last 16 quarters at Davis Wade Stadium.
Texas A&M at Louisiana Tech (8:15 p.m. CT / ESPNU / Sirius 139 / XM 201)
The Aggies step out of conference to take on the Bulldogs in a make-up game from the original play date of Aug. 30 due to Hurricane Isaac … Texas A&M has won all 10 meetings against Louisiana Tech including a 45-14 win in the last meeting of the two in 2006 in College Station … Nine of the 10 meetings have been in College Station with the 1999 game being played in Shreveport (A&M, 37-17) … A Kevin Sumlin-coached Houston Cougar team defeated Louisiana Tech, 35-34, in Ruston, La. last year … The Aggies have scored 223 points in the first five games of 2012, which is the most prolific five-game scoring start since 1917 when A&M scored 246 points … In his last 11 games, A&M DE Damontre Moore has piled up 25.0 tackles for loss and has had at least 1.5 in every game … Aggie redshirt freshman Johnny Manziel is the NCAA’s top freshman in four statistical categories: rushing (99.0 yards per game), passing efficiency (162.83 rating), total offense (356.0 yards per game) and points responsible for (21.6 points per game).