SEC Cross Country Athletes of the Week (Oct. 16, 2012)
Men’s Runner of the Week: Henry Lelei, Texas A&M
• Finished fourth in a national caliber field at the Wisconsin adidas Invitational, which included 316 runners.
• Covered the 8K distance in 23:26, managing to defeat defending SEC individual champion Eric Fernandez, of Arkansas, by 10 seconds.
• The field was a highly competitive one as the winner of the race was the 2011 NCAA Champion Lawi Lalang of Arizona, while Arizona’s Stephen Samby, the 2010 NCAA runner-up, was second.
• Helped Texas A&M finish 19th among a field of 45 teams at the Wisconsin adidas Invitational.
• Lelei’s time currently rates as the best 8K time in the SEC this season.
Men’s Freshman of the Week: Tyler Schneider, Missouri
• Was the SEC’s top freshman finisher at the Wisconsin adidas Invitational, placing 196th overall in a time of 24:45.
• Is currently the top-ranked 8K freshman in the SEC this season, with his personal-record time of 24:23 set earlier this season at the Greater Louisville Classic.
Women’s Runner of the Week: Cally Macumber, Kentucky
• The highest finishing SEC runner in the women’s red (seeded) race at the NCAA Pre-National Meet this past weekend in Louisville, Ky., placing eighth overall.
• Crossed the finish line of the 6K course in a time of 20:09.0, which currently ranks as the best 6K time in the SEC so far this season.
• Charted her fourth top-10 finish in as many races this season.
• Helped Kentucky place 12th overall at the meet this weekend and the Wildcats were the second-highest-finishing SEC team behind ninth-place Florida. Each of the teams that finished ahead of Kentucky are either ranked or receiving votes in this week’s USTFCCCA poll.
• Finished inside the top-25 alongside teammate Chelsea Oswald to help ensure UK was one of only two unranked teams with multiple top-25 performers.
Co-Women’s Freshman of the Week: Kayla Lampe, South Carolina
• Claimed the individual title in the black (unseeded) 6K race at the NCAA Pre-National Meet in a personal-record time of 21:03.5.
• Defeated her nearest competitor by 11.3 seconds.
• Currently holds the fastest 6K time by a freshman in the SEC this season and the 16th-fastest overall.
• Helped lead the Gamecocks to a third-place finish at the race.
Co-Women’s Freshman of the Week: Andrina Schlaepfer, Arkansas
• In her first collegiate 6K race, ran to a 10th-place individual finish at the 24th-annual Chile Pepper Festival in Fayetteville, Ark., this past weekend.
• Navigated the course in a time of 21:15.1 and was the top freshman performer in the race.
• Helped the Razorbacks to their first Chile Pepper team title since the 2006 season, finishing ahead of then-No. 22 Oklahoma State, SEC foe LSU and seven top-10 teams from the South Central region.