SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of Oct. 20)
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
AARON MURRAY (Watch Georgia Highlights)
6-1 • 210 • Jr. • Tampa, Fla.
• Murray completed 30-of-38 passes for a career-high 427 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions in Georgia’s 29-24 win at Kentucky.
• The 78.95 completion percentage against the Wildcats is a Georgia single-game record and his 30 completions were a career-best.
• The 427 yards were fourth-highest in school history and second best in the SEC this season.
• Murray is now Georgia’s career leader in touchdown passes (75), which is tied for ninth in SEC history.
• He is the SEC active leader in five different categories and is third in the NCAA FBS in careeer pass efficiency rating (154.02).
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KEVIN MINTER (Watch LSU Highlights)
6-2 • 245 • Jr. • Suwanee, Ga.
• Minter led the Tigers with 12 tackles, including a sack (-7 yards), an interception, one pass deflection and two quarterback pressures in LSU’s 24-19 win at Texas A&M.
• He led a Tiger defense that held the Aggies - the SEC’s top scoring offense - to 28 points below their season average. Tigers alsoheld the SEC’s leading rusher - QB Johnny Manziel - to just 27 yards on 17 attempts and no touchdowns for the first time this season.
• Minter’s 3rd quarter interception halted an A&M drive in LSU territory.
• For the game, the Tiger defense forced five turnovers (three interceptions and two fumbles).
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
KYLE CHRISTY (Watch Florida Highlights)
6-2 • 199 • So. • Brownsburg, Ind.
• Christy set a Gator single-game record, averaging 54.3 yards on seven punts, in Florida’s 44-11 win against South Carolina.
• Six of his punts were for more than 50 yards, including a season-long 62 yarder and had one punt inside the 20-yard line.
• The 62-yard punt marked the third time in his career Christy has had a punt for more than 60 yards. Overall, he owns 24 punts over 50 yards in just two seasons for the Gators.
• Christy leads the nation and the SEC in punting average with a 47.49 average this season. The Gators also lead the nation in net punting, averaging 44.24 yards per attempt.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
JOE TOWNSEND (Watch Vanderbilt Highlights)
6-4 • 305 • So. • Hendersonville, Tenn.
• Enjoying the second start of his career, Townsend had 10 knockdown blocks in Vanderbilt’s 17-13 win against Auburn.
• He also had four key blocks that led to either touchdowns or first downs for the Commodores.
• Townsend topped the Vanderbilt offensive line corps with a 88 percent performance grade and 97 percent effort grade.
• His performance helped senior Zac Stacy set the team’s all-time rushing yardage record during a 169-yard effort. The Commodores rushed for 209 yards and a pair of scores against Auburn.
SEC DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
DAMONTRE MOORE (Watch Texas A&M Highlights)
6-4 • 250 • Jr. • Rowlett, Texas
• Moore led Texas A&M with 10 total tackles, including eight solo stops, with two for losses (-4 yards), including a sack, a pass deflection and a quarterback pressure in the Aggies’ 24-19 loss to LSU.
• Outside of LSU’s three touchdown plays (combined 96 yards), the Aggie defense gave up 220 yards on 71 plays.
• Moore leads the NCAA FBS in tackles for loss (2.43 per game) and sacks (1.36 per game) this season.
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
AMARI COOPER (Watch Alabama Highlights)
6-1 • 198 • Miami, Fla.
• Cooper set an Alabama freshman receiving record with 162 yards on seven receptions and two touchdowns in the Tide’s 44-13 win at Tennessee.
• He scored the first touchdown of the game on a 23-yard pass and added a 42-yard TD catch in the third quarter.
• Cooper leads the Tide in receiving yards (425), touchdown catches (5) and receptions (28).
• Cooper’s 15.18 yards per catch this season is third among all freshman in NCAA FBS.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 8
QB A.J. McCARRON (Alabama) -- Completed 17-of-22 passes for a career-high 306 yards with four TDs and no interceptions against Tennessee.
LB CASSANOVA McKINZY (Auburn) -- In his first career start, tied for team-high 12 tackles with a forced fumble and fumble recovery against Vanderbilt.
CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY (Florida) -- Had three tackles, including one for a loss, and two forced fumbles against South Carolina.
ILB ALEC OGLETREE (Georgia) -- Recorded team-high 11 tackles, with one for a loss, against Kentucky.
P LANDON FOSTER (Kentucky) -- Punted six times against Georgia for 44.5 yard average with three inside the 20-yard line.
RB JEREMY HILL (LSU) -- True freshman rushed for career-high 127 yards and a touchdown at Texas A&M.
QB TYLER RUSSELL (Mississippi State) -- Completed 17-of-21 passes for 191 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions against Middle Tennessee.
CB JOHNTHAN BANKS (Mississippi State) -- Tied for team-lead with eight tackles with an interception and two pass deflections against Middle Tennessee.
SPUR DeVONTE HOLLOMAN (South Carolina) -- Recorded eight tackles, including five solo stops, with two for losses,including a sack, against Florida.
P/PK MICHAEL PALARDY (Tennessee) -- Converted both field goals attempts (32 & 31 yards), averaged 48.2 yards on five punts and had two touchbacks on kickoffs against Alabama.
RB ZAC STACY (Vanderbilt) -- Rushed for 169 yards on 27 carries and a touchdown against Auburn. With the effort, became Vandy’s all-time career rushing yardage leader with 2,670 yards.