SEC Men's Basketball Today: November 30 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Men's Basketball Today: November 30

    South Florida 64, Georgia 53
    Georgetown 37, Tennessee 36
    Syracuse 91, Arkansas 82
    DePaul 80, Auburn 76

    Georgia drops 64-53 decision to USF

    TAMPA, Fla. - Despite having the game’s top scorer, the Georgia men’s basketball team dropped a 64-53 decision to the South Florida Bulls on Friday night. The game, however, was much closer than the score would reflect. The game, played in front of 5,167 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla., was part of the SEC/Big East Challenge. The loss saw the Bulldogs season record fall to 2-5.

    Sophomore guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope led the team and the game with 19 points, he was the only Bulldog to score in double digits. Junior forward Marcus Thornton led Georgia in rebounding with 6 boards. Sophomore center John Cannon record a career high eight points and was Georgia’s second highest scorer.  

    The Bulldogs took their first lead of the game mid-way through the first half on a Caldwell-Pope lay-up that put Georgia up 13-11. After the Bulls retook the lead, sophomore forward Tim Dixon gave the Bulldogs a 15-13 lead before USF rallied to go into the locker room at half-time leading 27-24.

    After hanging with the home team for the early part of the second period, it was Caldwell-Pope again giving the Bulldogs the lead on 11:32 with an explosive dunk. The Bulls rallied again, however, but were not able to separate themselves from the Bulldogs with junior forward Donte’ Williams hitting a 2-pointer while falling down to tie the contest at 50-points apiece. The game, however, got away from Georgia as the USF took advantage of being in the double bonus with free-throws down the stretch seeing them secure the 64-53 final.

    “It felt like what really failed us in the game was our defense. We started the game poorly but then we settled down, ground things out and got the lead. In the gut of the game, when it was decided late in the second half, our defense and our rebounding failed us. We just didn’t get the stops we needed to get,” said Georgia head coach Mark Fox. “Offensively in the second half we were playing very well until the end when we had to fire up some desperation shots. I thought offensively we had some pretty good numbers.”

    The game was the first time Georgia and South Florida have played each other; it was also Georgia’s third straight appearance in the annual SEC/Big East Challenge. The defeat marked Georgia’s third loss in the annual event.

    The Bulldogs return to action on Tuesday when they travel to face in-state rival Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Ga. The game tips off at 7 p.m. and will be televised by ESPNU.

    Tennessee Falls to No. 20 Georgetown, 37-36

    WASHINGTON, D.C. - Neither team scored for the final 4:09 of game as No. 20/25 Georgetown fended off Tennessee, 37-36, in the SEC/BIG EAST Challenge at the Verizon Center. No player scored more than eight points for either team.

    Jordan McRae and Skylar McBee each missed 3-pointers in the final four seconds, as they were unable to convert for the Vols (4-2).

    Georgetown's game-winning basket -- the final one of the game -- came with 4:09 left in regulation as Markel Starks hit a jumper for the 37-36 lead, and eventual final score.

    The Hoyas (5-1) were led by 8-point scorers Greg Whittington, Mikael Hopkins and Otto Porter.

    Against the taller Hoyas, the Vols owned the glass, outrebounding Georgetown, 35-25 with Jarnell Stokes leading the way with nine boards. Trae Golden grabbed a career-high eight rebounds to go with eight points, tying with McBee for the team-high in points.

    Tennessee took possession of the ball for the final shot after Georgetown threw the ball out of bounds with 20.9 seconds left in regulation. McBee missed a 3-pointer with 3.4 seconds and McRae missed one as time expired.

    With six minutes left in regulation the teams traded buckets for a two-minute span as Kenny Hall and Golden sandwiched a layup by Greg Whittington as the Vols led 36-35 coming down the stretch. Starks answered with 4:09 left to regain the lead for Georgetown at 37-36 with 4:09 left in the game. That was the final hoop of the game.

    The game was the lowest combined score in a Tennessee game since the Vols' 11-6 win over Temple on Dec. 15, 1973. That was the last time the Vols held a Division I opponent to as few as 37 points.

    In holding, Georgetown to 37 points, it was UT's best defensive scoring effort since holding Ohio Northern to 33 points in a 40-33 Vols' win on Nov. 25, 1983.

    For Tennessee, the 36 points are the second-lowest for the shot-clock era and lowest since the Vols had 35 vs. Auburn on Jan. 15, 1997 in a 43-35 loss.

    The teams combined to shoot 31-of-89 overall for 34.8 percent and 4-of-24 from 3-point land (16.7 percent).

    Georgetown went on a 13-4 rune early in the second half as Jabril Trawick knocked down a 3-pointer with 15 minutes left in the second half putting the Hoyas up 27-20.

    Josh Richardson's swooping layup brought the Vols within four at 31-27 with 10 minutes left in the second half and forcing the Hoyas to call timeout. The 9-0 run continued on a runner by Golden making it 31-29.

    McBee gave the Vols a brief lead at 32-31 on a long-range 3-pointer as the shot clock was expiring with 8:14 left in the second half.

    The first half ended with Golden's 17-foot bank shot at the buzzer which gave the Vols an 18-16 halftime lead. McRae had tied the game at 16 with one minute left in the first half on a 3-pointer. Tennessee scored the final seven points of the half, all in the last 1:38 to grab the lead.

    The Hoyas were held without a field goal for the final 10:17 of the first half.

    Tennessee scored seven consecutive points and held Georgetown scoreless for a span of 6:19 to pull within 12-11 after falling behind 12-4. Georgetown's Mikael Hopkins ended the drought by making a free throw with 3:58 left in the half.

    The teams combined to shoot 13-of-48 in the first half for 27 percent and just 2-of-13 from 3-point range for just 15 percent. No player scored more than six points in the first half.

    The Vols continue play in the Mid-Atlantic Region at Virginia of the ACC on Wednesday at 7 p.m. That game will air on ESPN3 and be available on The Vol Network carries the game over the airwaves.

    Razorbacks unable to upset No.6 Orange
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. –  Sophomore BJ Young scored 25 points for the University of Arkansas basketball team on Friday night against No. 6/5 Syracuse in a nine-point loss, 91-82, at Bud Walton Arena in front of a season high 19,259 fans.
    Arkansas (3-3) played in front of its largest home crowd since the 2009 season which included more than 4,000 students.
    “It was an awesome environment tonight with the White Out,” head coach Mike Anderson said. “We are certainly happy with our fans. Over 19,000 people were treated to a tremendous game. We just came out on the short end.”
    Young finished the game with 25 points off 10-of-23 shooting to lead Arkansas on the court. Junior Marshawn Powell also finished with a double-digit scoring game with 19 points. Powell and junior Coty Clarke would both lead Arkansas with seven rebounds each.
    “Our guys gave maximum effort tonight,” Anderson said. “It was a great ball game and a great atmosphere. I’m proud of our guys. There was no quit in them. They’re starting to believe.”
    To start the game the Razorbacks played toe-to-toe with the Orange, going on a 6-0 run early to make the score 6-2 at the 18:09 mark in the first. Three different Razorbacks would contribute to the run as sophomore Hunter Mickelson took the first, followed by Young and sophomore Rashad Madden.
    The Orange would recover from the early Razorback scoring and go up by as many as 15 in the first, but the Hogs would fight back thanks to Syracuse turnovers and the rowdy Bud Walton Arena fans.
    With 7:21 left in the first Arkansas began to chip away at the then-14 point Syracuse lead beginning with a defensive rebound by Powell and a layup by Young. Seconds later the Razorbacks would capitalize off a steal by Coty Clarke with another layup by Young, who would draw a foul on the play and sink his extra shot for a three-point basket. Young’s 5-0 run would begin to close the gap to 33-24 and cut the Syracuse lead to single digits.

    However, Young and the Razorbacks weren’t done yet as he would score one point off another foul and sink a three-pointer with 5:30 remaining in the first to send the crowd to its feet. That would close out a 9-0 Arkansas run, which was the largest of the game at that point, and brought the Razorbacks within five, 33-28.
    With 1:29 remaining the Razorbacks would catch a breakaway as Young brought the crowd to its feet after a momentous dunk to bring the Razorbacks within four. Arkansas would close the half down by five, 43-38.
    Leading Arkansas on the floor in the first was Young who went 7-of-14 from the floor for 19 points. Powell led the Razorbacks in rebounding with six and Madden accumulated two assists in the first.
    In the second half, Powell would head to the line two consecutive possessions, connecting on 3-of-4 of his shots, to bring Arkansas within two, 43-41. The comeback would end there for now, as the Hogs would commit two fouls and four turnovers and allow a 14-1 run by the Orange putting the score at 57-42. Arkansas would respond by holding Syracuse scoreless over 1:51 and racking up 10 points to close the gap to five. Syracuse would successfully hold off any Arkansas run for the remainder of the game.
    Arkansas would make another run late in the game beginning with a layup by Young with 1:59 on the clock. Clarke would steal the ball on Syracuse’s next possession and take it down the court for two, drawing a foul to make it three and bringing the Razorbacks within seven, 84-77.
    The Razorbacks return to the court on Tuesday night for a border showdown with the Oklahoma Sooners.

    Auburn Falls to DePaul, 80-76

    AUBURN, Ala. – Frankie Sullivan had career highs of 28 points and five assists while Rob Chubb added a season-high 17 points and 13 rebounds, but Auburn fell 80-76 to DePaul in the SEC-Big East Challenge on Friday in Auburn Arena.

    “I think as frustrated as we all are as a group, players, coaches, as a team, as a family, we’re getting closer,” Auburn head coach Tony Barbee said. “We’ve just got to put it all together on the floor. There’s a lot of positive out of this game, we just didn’t come out with a win.”

    Auburn (2-5) battled back from a six point second half deficit, and Noel Johnson’s second 3-pointer tied the game at 72 with 3:30 left. Sullivan’s layup with a minute left closed the Tigers to within 78-76.

    Auburn made a defensive stop on the next possession, setting the stage for a shot at a game winner. The Tigers couldn’t get a good look and Noel Johnson lost the ball at the top of the key while the Blue Demons’ Cleveland Melvin was fouled and converted two free throws for an 80-76 lead with 13.1 seconds remaining to seal the win.

    Sullivan had 20 points in the first half alone for his fifth game of 20 or more points in eight games this season.  Melvin led DePaul (4-3) with a double-double of 21 points and 10 rebounds while Brandon Young added 19 points.

    Asauhn Dixon-Tatum added nine points, five rebounds and three blocks off the bench.

    Sullivan’s third 3-pointer in as many tries gave Auburn a 22-18 lead with 12:37 remaining. He had previously left the game with a sprained left wrist following a hard foul, but returned with it taped and promptly connected on a pair of treys.

    A back-and-forth game continued with five ties and six lead changes in the first half, but the Tigers held a 46-42 lead at the break. Auburn’s 46 points in the first half were a season high. There were a total of seven ties and nine lead changes on the night and the largest lead by either team was seven points by Auburn over a minute to go in the half.

    DePaul opened the second half with a 7-0 run and Auburn didn’t connect on its first field goal after the intermission until more than three minutes into the half when Allen Payne scored a fast break layup. Sullivan followed with another transition basket, and the Tigers were back on top 50-49 with 16:11 to go.

    The Blue Demons answered with a 9-0 run to take their largest lead at 58-52 with 13:26 on the clock. A three-point play by Donnavan Kirk widened DePaul’s advantage to 67-62 with nine minutes to go, but a pair of Noel Johnson treys tied it at 72 with 3:35 to go.

    Auburn now has a 10-day break for finals and will play next on December 11 against Grambling State in Auburn Arena.