Jan. 27, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – No.68 Auburn women’s tennis upset No. 65 DePaul 4-0 in the consolation match at the 2013 ITA Kick-Off Weekend hosted by North Carolina to move to 1-1 for the season.
"I thought we executed our plays really well in doubles," Auburn head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner. "We had good energy and combined that with playing very methodical and smart tactically. In singles, our top three came out ready to play and win the first sets fast giving our team a boost of confidence. For us to beat a good indoor team like DePaul gives us great confidence going into February. We have all home matches in February and looking to keep getting better and better each match."
In doubles, the dynamic duo of junior Jackie Kasler and sophomore Emily Flickinger continued its strong play with an 8-3 win over DePaul’s Matea Cutura and Zaina Sufi. Jen Pfeifler and Paulina Schippers secured the critical doubles point defeating Jarret Fisher and Kelsey Lawson, 8-5.
Flickinger was also solid from beginning to end in singles play, beating out Ana Vladutu, 6-2, 6-2, on court three to keep the momentum going from doubles.
Pfeifler struggled early in her singles match, but she once again settled in, defeating No. 119 Jarret Fisher at the No. 5 spot, 6-3, 6-3 for her first ranked win of the season.
Freshman Michala Kucharova came out hot winning the first set 7-5 in her match, but got herself in a tough situation during the second set being down 1-4. Kucharova battled back to win the second set at the No. 2 spot, 7-5, over Patricia Fargas to clinch the match for the Tigers.
Fellow freshman Pleun Burgmans split sets at the No. 1 spot, 2-6, 6-3, against No. 112 Matea Cutura before match play was concluded.
The Tigers are in action next on Feb. 3
for their first home doubleheader of the spring season at the Yarbrough Tennis Center against Georgia Southern and Alabama A&M.
For the latest on Auburn women’s tennis follow @AUWomensTennis on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/AUWomensTennis
1. #112 Matea Cutura (DU) vs. Pleun Burgmans (AU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
2. Michala Kucharova (AU) def. Patricia Fargas (DU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Ana Vladutu (DU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kelsey Lawson (DU) vs. Jackie Kasler (AU) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
5. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. #119 Jarret Fisher (DU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Zaina Sufi (DU) vs. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-5, 4-5, unfinished
1. Patricia Fargas/Ana Vladutu (DU) vs. Pleun Burgmans/Michala Kucharova (AU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Jackie Kasler/Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Matea Cutura/Zaina Sufi (DU) 8-3
3. Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Jarret Fisher/Kelsey Lawson (DU) 8-5
Auburn 1-1; National ranking #68
DePaul 0-2; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,5,2)