Feb. 3, 2013
AUBURN – Auburn women’s tennis opened its home 2013 dual match season with a pair of victories Sunday, defeating Georgia Southern 7-0 and Alabama A&M 7-0 in a doubleheader at the Yarbrough Tennis Center to move to 3-1 for the season.
“I was happy with our performance today,” Auburn women’s tennis head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner said. “It was an opportunity to give our four freshmen a chance to step up and see what they can do. They all did great. I think we got the job done as a team. We worked on some things that we have needed to work on. We are continuing to improve and I’m looking forward to a great week of practice before a tough test next weekend.”
Auburn opened the day with a sweep of Georgia Southern in doubles. The dynamic duo of Jackie Kasler and Emily Flickinger defeated Georgia Southern's Natalie Maffett and Stephanie Woods, 8-2, on court two. At number one, the freshman twosome of Pleun Burgmans and Michala Kucharova clinched the doubles point with an, 8-2, victory over Mary Phillips Smith and Paola Garrido.
Also winning 8-2 were Burgmans and Kucharova over the GSU duo of Mary Phillips Smith and Paola Garrido.
In singles, the Tigers put together several dominating performances to sweep the first three matches and clinch the win.
Freshman Maria Cardenas Conti kicked off singles on court five beating out Natalie Maffett, 6-1, 6-0. Fellow freshman Burgmans continued her success from doubles defeating Paola Garrido, 6-1, 6-1, at the top spot. Senior Paulina Schippers clinched the match for the Tigers with a decisive 6-1, 6-1 victory over Francisca Norregard.
Auburn came back in the evening to post a dominant 7-0 win over Alabama A&M.
In doubles, Kucharova and Kurteva started off the night defeating Qwanda Jarret and Kara Kennemore on court three, 8-0. The tandem of Cardenas Conti and Schippers clinched the doubles point with an 8-0 win over Denise Cherry and Shannon Warner on court one.
Also winning 8-1 were Burgmans and Ashley Kitchen over the Alabama A&M duo of Morgan Shaw and Jessica Taylor.
In singles, the Tigers continued their success sweeping the first three matches and clinching the win. Kitchen started off singles with a dominating 6-0, 6-0 win over Kara Kennemore. Cardenas Conti maintained the momentum with a 6-0, 6-0 victory of her own.
Pfeifler clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Morgan Shaw.
Auburn will return to action Saturday, Feb. 9, with a doubleheader home match against Georgia State at 12 p.m. CT and Samford at 6 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Admission is free.
For the latest on Auburn women's tennis follow @AUWomensTennis on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AUWomensTennis.
Auburn Women’s Tennis Results
February 3, 2013
Yarbrough Tennis Center – Auburn, Ala.
#68 Auburn University 7, Georgia Southern University 0
1. Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Jordana Klein (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ashley Kitchen (AU) def. Stephanie Woods (GSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Maria Cardenas Conti (AU) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Francisca Norregaard (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Pleun Burgmans/Michala Kucharova (AU) def. Mary Phillips Smith/Paola Garrido (GSU) 8-2
2. Emily Flickinger/Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Natalie Maffett/Stephanie Woods (GSU) 8-2
3. Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Alexis Prickett/Jordana Klein (GSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,1,6,4,3,2)
#68 Auburn University 7, Alabama A&M 0
1. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Denise Cherry (AAMU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Shannon Warner (AAMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Morgan Shaw (AAMU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Jessica Taylor (AAMU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ashley Kitchen (AU) def. Kara Kennemore (AAMU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maria Cardenas Conti (AU) def. Qwanda Jarret (AAMU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Maria Cardenas Conti/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Denise Cherry/Shannon Warner (AAMU) 8-0
2. Pleun Burgmans/Ashley Kitchen (AU) def. Morgan Shaw/Jessica Taylor (AAMU) 8-1
3. Michala Kucharova/Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Qwanda Jarret/Kara Kennemore (AAMU) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,3,4,1,2)