Player of the Week
Nik Scholtz • Ole Miss
Sophomore • Caledon, South Africa
• Went 7-0 in singles and doubles last week to help the Rebels to three wins, including No. 14 Tennessee and No. 10 Mississippi State at the ITA National Team Indoor.
• Against Georgia defeated the No. 5 ranked doubles team.
• Clinched the doubles point against Tennessee and then won in straight sets against No. 11 ranked Mikelis Libietis to set up the clinching match at No. 6.
• The Rebels avenged an earlier loss to Mississippi State in the River Hills Cup and snapped a four-match losing streak to the Bulldogs. Won 8-4 against 13th-ranked team at No. 1 doubles setting up clinching match at No. 2.
• Defeated 19th-ranked Romain Bogaerts in straight sets, after losing to him in three sets in the previous match, to give the Rebels the lead for good.
• Improved to 13-3 overall, 5-1 at No. 1 singles and 6-1 at No. 1 doubles with Jonas Lutjen.
2/13 Ratan Gill, Portland W 7-5, 6-4
2/15 #21 Nathan Pasha, Georgia DNF
2/16 #11 Mikelis Libietis, Tennessee W 7-5, 6-3
2/17 #19 Romain Bogaerts, Mississippi St. W 6-4, 6-2
Doubles (with Jonas Lutjen)
2/13 #17 Narayana/Schnur, Portland W 8-4
2/15 #5 Pieters/Wagland, Georgia W 8-1
2/16 #26 Libietis/Chaplin, Tennessee W 8-6
2/17 #13 Stropp/Angus, Mississippi St. W 8-4
Freshman of the Week
Kevin Lai • Kentucky
• Lai stepped in to compete in his first ever singles competition against ranked teams this weekend at the ITA Indoors, and won two matches, both in matches that Kentucky went on to win.
• Is now 4-0 on the season in singles and has not dropped a set all season at the two and six slots.
• Also teamed with Tom Jomby for the No. 1 doubles slot to knock off No. 13 Jordan Angus/Malte Stroppe 8-3 to give Kentucky the doubles point in the Wildcats 4-0 win over No. 10 Mississippi State.
• Overall on the week, Lai went 3-0 in singles, and 2-1 in doubles, as he was responsible for five UK points this week.
2/12 Juanjo de la Llera, E. Kentucky W 6-3, 6-7, 6-1
2/15 Pedro Dumont, Mississippi St. W 6-3, 6-4
2/17 Eric Diaz, Georgia W 6-2, 6-3
Doubles (with Tom Jomby)
2/12 Talmadge/Andrews, Notre Dame W 8-6
2/15 #13 Angus/Stroppe, Mississippi St. W 8-3
2/16 #48 Sarmiento/Hanfmann, Southern Cal L 5-8
2/17 #5 Pieters/Wagland, Georgia DNF 7-7