LSU Women Shake Off Snow & Down Missouri > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    LSU Women Shake Off Snow & Down Missouri


    COLUMBIA, Mo. - A 9-2 run by Missouri (15-11, 4-8) in the final four minutes of regulation forced overtime, where Mizzou fell to LSU by a 78-74 final Friday (Feb. 22) afternoon at Mizzou Arena. Missouri never led in regulation, and trailed by as many as 12 points at one point in the game, but claimed their first lead of the game 50 seconds into overtime. LSU responded with a 9-0 run that spanned more than three minutes, sealing the game.
    Missouri was led by strong efforts from Liene Priede and Liz Smith, who had 18 and 15 points, respectively. Priede's outburst matched her career high for points in a game, and Smith fell just four points short of her career mark. The teams were close statistically in almost every category, although LSU won the battle of points off turnovers by a decisive 29-10 margin and got to the free throw line 23 times, connecting on 19 of those 23.
    Priede's 18 points came on 7-of-11 shooting, including a career-best four 3-pointers, marking the third game this season that she has reached double-figures scoring. She also added four assists and three boards in the loss. Smith was sensational as well with her 15 points, marking the fourth time in the last six games that she has scored in double figures. In fact, she is averaging 10.7 ppg over her last six. Bri Kulas added 17 points in the game. Mizzou assisted on 21 of 28 field goals in the loss.
    The visiting Lady Tigers started the game on an 8-2 run, as Sydney Crafton's layup was the only score for Mizzou until Lianna Doty connected on a jumper to cut the lead to four at the first media timeout. Priede then connected on a 3 after a layup from LSU, bringing the Mizzou hack to within three points before five straight points from the Lady Tigers. Two Bri Kulas free throws made the score 15-9, and another shot from Doty from distance brought the Tigers back to within two.
    Mizzou was able to tie the game at 17 on a Smith layup, and a second bucket from the paint by Smith kept the game knotted at 19. An 8-2 run for LSU then created some separation until Priede nailed a 3 to cut the lead to three with less than four minutes remaining in the first half.
    The visiting Tigers made two straight layups after the media timeout to build their lead back to seven points, 31-24. Smith made a layup to cut the lead to five, but LSU was equal to the task and made a jumper to keep a seven-point cushion. Another bucket for LSU at the buzzer gave the Lady Tigers a 35-26 lead as the teams headed to the locker room for halftime.
    LSU pushed their lead to 12 with a three-pointer to open the second half, and a layup by Crafton on the next posseession brought Mizzou back to within 10. After the teams traded buckets, making the score 40-30 favoring the road team, Priede nailed another 3 to reduce the deficit to seven. Smith's "and-one" layup then made the score 40-36, but LSU answered with a quick 10-4 spurt to hold a 50-40 advantage. Kulas ended the run with an "and-one" layup, keeping Mizzou within seven at the under-12 timeout.
    Morgan Eye got on the board with a three to answer two LSU free throws, keeping the Tigers within six. After Smith made a layup, Kyley Simmons nailed a pair of free throws to make it a four-point game. Priede answered a Lady Tiger free throw with a jumper to pull Mizzou within three, but LSU went on a 7-0 run to make the score 62-52. A Doty shot from range cut the deficit to seven, and a Crafton layup brought Mizzou within five before LSU drained two free throws for a 64-57 lead at the under-4 timeout.
    A Priede 3 after a Crafton free throw brought Mizzou within three again, but LSU answered with a two, which was promptly answered by a Kulas runner. Simmons tied the game at 66 with just over a minute remaining, capping a 9-2 run to tie the game and force overtime with a 66-66 deadlock.
    Smith gave the Tigers their first lead of the game with a layup to start overtime, and LSU claimed a 7-point lead with 1:21 remaining lead by making seven of eight free throws, and a layup sealed the deal.