PLAYER OF THE WEEK
A.J. Reed • Kentucky
Sophomore • LHP/1B • Terre Haute, Ind.
• Drove in 15 RBI during the week, belting three homers and adding a double … Hit .526 (10-for-19) during the week, with a 1.053 slugging and a .609 on-base percentage.
• Went 4-for-5 in the opener vs. the Zips, with five RBI and his second homer of the week … Also started the opener vs. Akron on the mound, tossing six innings and allowing only two runs on six hits and two walks, striking out four.
• On the year, Reed leads UK with 22 RBI on four homers, a double and a triple, batting .409 (18-for-44) with 11 runs scored … On the mound, as UK’s Friday-night starter, Reed has a 2-1 record.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Kevin Ziomek • Vanderbilt
Junior • LHP • Amherst, Mass.
• Pitched his first career complete game with a one-hit shutout of Illinois-Chicago on Friday night on a cold and snowy night in Nashville... His 15 strikeouts set a new career-high and are the most by a Vanderbilt pitcher since Sonny Gray struck out 15 against Brown in 2011.
• Struck out at least one batter in eight of nine innings and struck out two or more in six innings, including the ninth. Eight of the 15 strikeouts were looking. He did not allow a hit after the first inning.
• Retired the final 10 batters he faced and 22 of the last 23 batters.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Jonathan Moroney • Texas A&M
OF • Houston, Texas
• Named to the All-Tournament Team of the talent laden Astros Foundation Houston College Classic. The freshman hit .556 (5-for-9) at the tournament with one double, one home run, two runs scored and four RBI on the weekend.
• He went 3-for-3 with one run, one walk, one double, one home run and three RBI in the tournament opener vs Houston. On Saturday, he went 2-for-3 with one double and one home run in the Aggies’ 8-3 win over No. 12 Rice.