By: Sean Cartell
SEC Digital Network
Box Score (PDF) | Photo Gallery | Texas A&M Quotes | Auburn Quotes | Highlights
NASHVILLE - Elston Turner scored a game-high 22 points and Alex Caruso added 14 as 11th-seeded Texas A&M edged 14th-seeded Auburn 71-62 on Wednesday at the Southeastern Conference Tournament at Bridgestone Arena.
Texas A&M (18-14) advances to face sixth-seeded Missouri (22-9) at 10 p.m. ET Thursday in a game that will be carried by the SEC Network.
Turner, who scored in double figures for the 52nd time in his career, went a perfect 8-for-8 from the free-throw line and connected on two three-pointers. Caruso dished out six assists to complement his 14 points, while Fabyon Harris and Kourtney Roberson each chipped in 11 points. Roberson brought down a game-high seven rebounds.
Texas A&M shot 44.9 percent (22-of-49) from the field in the game, while Auburn shot 40.0 percent (20-of-50) from the floor. The Aggies, who led 34-27 at halftime, out-rebounded the Tigers 36-24 in the game.
Auburn (9-23) was led by a team-high 19 points from Frankie Sullivan, while Chris Denson added 15.
All-Time Series: Texas A&M leads 5-2
In SEC Tournament Games: this was the first meeting
Earlier this Season: on Feb. 20, Texas A&M won 65-56 at Auburn
• Behind 13-10, Texas A&M went on a 14-0 run for a 24-13 lead. A&M held Auburn scoreless for more than six minutes during the spurt. The Aggies never trailed again.
• A&M took a 34-27 lead into halftime and is 14-2 this season when ahead or tied at intermission.
• Auburn tied the game at 47 with 11:17 remaining but Fabyon Harris responded with a three-pointer to put A&M back in the lead. That started a 9-2 run for the Aggies and A&M led the rest of the way.
• Texas A&M won the rebounding 36-24, leading to a 9-0 advantage in second-chance points.
• Auburn is 9-23.
• Senior guard Frankie Sullivan led the Tigers with 19 points.
• Junior guard Chris Denson added 15 points. He finished the season strongly, averaging 18.3 points over the last three games of the season.
Texas A&M Notes:
• A&M is 18-14.
• Four Aggies scored in double figures, led by Elston Turner’s game-high 22 points.
o It is Turner’s 10th game this season with 20 or more points, including five of the last six in which he has played.
o Over his last six games in which has he played (not including one game he missed because of injury), Turner is averaging 24.2 points per game.
• Freshman Alex Caruso tied his career high with 14 points, coming against Auburn both times. He also had a game-high six assists.
• Kourtney Roberson tallied 11 points and a game-high seven rebounds.