BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Southeastern Conference on Monday announced the Community Service Team for the sport of equestrian. The conference names a Community Service Team for each of its 21 league-sponsored sports, looking to highlight an athlete from each school who gives back to her community through superior service efforts.
The 2013 SEC Equestrian Community Service Team is as follows:
Auburn – Coryn Bergenty, Sr. (Farmington, Conn.)
• Is a primary volunteer at Ogletree Elementary School.
• Volunteers at Stroybrook Farm Therapeutic Riding.
• Is a volunteer and organizer of Read Across America.
• One of her team’s leaders in organizing community service projects.
• Was a member of Auburn’s 2011 NCEA National Championship team.
• A Top Tiger Award Winner and member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.
• A Dean’s List student at Auburn.
• A member of Chi Alpha Sigma and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.
Georgia – Kelsey Thatcher, Jr. (Bluffdale, Utah)
• A participant in the UGA Relay for Life as part of the Rider Relay with the UGA Equestrian Team.
• Volunteered for Shop With A Bulldog, a fundraiser for low-income children in the Athens area in need of Christmas presents.
• Spent time as a tutor for the Boys and Girls Club of Athens, observing and tutoring fifth graders.
• Was a teacher for Campo-Cocha School in Ecuador, where she produced lesson plans and co-taught all grades of English classes on the subjects of vocabulary and grammar.
• Spent more than 100 hours teaching non-native English speaking second graders at Oasis Tutoring Center.
• Owns a 3.73 grade point average in early childhood education.
• Is a member of the Dean’s List at Georgia and a member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.
South Carolina – Alison Ceresani, Jr. (Tuckerton, N.J.)
• Has volunteered with Pets, Inc., helping care for rescued animals at a local animal shelter.
• Has worked with Habitat for Humanity.
• Volunteered with Goodwill, assisting with re-stocking stores and sorting donated items.
• Has assisted with a local soup kitchen, making meals and serving the homeless in the Columbia area.
• A 2012 NCEA Honorable Mention All-America selection in horsemanship.
• A two-year starter on the horsemanship squad for South Carolina.
• Boasts a 4.0 grade point average and has been a member of the President’s List since 2010.
• A member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll.
• An NCEA First-Team Academic All-American.
• Member of the South Carolina Exercise Science Club.
Texas A&M – Amanda Brightwell, Sr. (San Antonio, Texas)
• Programs chair of the Texas A&M Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
• Volunteered with AggiesCAN, planning and coordinating the largest student-athlete run canned food drive in the nation. Helped collect more than 6,000 pounds of canned goods in a 24-hour period.
• Worked with underprivileged children in the equine program at Still Creek Ranch.
• Part of Hard Hats for Little Heads, organizing and participating in a presentation on helmet safety for more than 2,000 Bryan/College Station second graders.
• Participated in Big Event, a community development project in Bryan/College Station.
• A 2012-13 Texas A&M team captain and 2012 NCEA Honorable Mention All-America selection. The 2011 Texas A&M equestrian Rookie of the Year.
• Went 6-6 during the 2012-13 season in horsemanship with a 72.57 scoring average with four wins against top-10 opponents, including three SEC schools.
• A two-time NCEA First-Team Academic All-American and a two-time member of the Academic All-Big 12 First Team. A Texas A&M Athletic Scholar.
For all of the latest information on SEC Equestrian, please log on to www.SECDigitalNetwork.com or follow @SEC_Sean on Twitter.
2013 SEC Equestrian Community Service Team
Auburn: Coryn Bergenty
Georgia: Kelsey Thatcher
South Carolina: Alison Ceresani
Texas A&M: Amanda Brightwell