SEC GOLFERS OF THE WEEK (April 10, 2013)
MEN’S GOLFER OF THE WEEK – Cory Whitsett, Alabama, Junior– Houston, Texas
• Won his second straight tournament, claiming medalist honors at the Aggie Invitational with an 8-under-par 208. He edged teammates Bobby Wyatt (-7) and Scott Strohmeyer (-6).
• Named the Golfweek National Player of the Week (second time this spring)
• He fired rounds of 69, 69 and 70 as he led the Crimson Tide to its third straight team victory, fifth of the season and fourth in five events this spring.
• Whitsett made 14 birdies in three rounds at The Traditions Club against a 12-man field that was all ranked among the top-35 teams nationally.
• Moved past Justin Thomas for the team scoring average lead at 70.96 and is 15-strokes under par for the year.
• In his last six events, he has claimed two medalist honors, lost a third victory in a playoff, posted a runner-up finish, a third-place showing and a seventh.
• In those six events, he boasts and 69.24 scoring average and is a combined 44-under par.
MEN’S CO-FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK – Taylor Moore, Arkansas – Edmond, Okla.
• Posted his best collegiate finish when he tied for eighth at the Aggie Invitational
• No. 2 freshman in the 72-player field
• Notched his second sub-par tournament of the season at two-under par, a career best score for 54 holes
• It was his third straight top 20 individual finish of the season
• Was Arkansas’ top finisher for the first time in his career
• His spring stroke average of 72.93 is nearly two strokes better than his average to end the fall (74.92) and his overall average has dropped a full stroke (73.93)
MEN’S CO-FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK – Matt NeSmith, South Carolina – North Augusta, S.C.
• Led Gamecocks to a fifth-place finish at the Insperity Augusta State Invitational ahead of eight teams in the Golfstat Top 50
• Earned fourth straight top-10 finish and sixth of the season with a tie for eighth showing with a total of 214 (-2)
• Lowered scoring average to 73.04, which ranks 24th overall and second among freshmen in the SEC
• Average also ranks fifth all-time for a freshman at South Carolina
• Recorded a career-low 67 (-5) in the first round
WOMEN’S GOLFER OF THE WEEK – Ally McDonald, Mississippi State, Sophomore—Fulton, Miss.
• Notched a school record-tying 6-under-par 210 (68-71-71) in the M&F Bank Rebel Intercollegiate in Oxford, Miss.
• Tied the school record for lowest opening round (68) and matched the third-lowest round tally overall.
• Finished third individually, her fourth Top 5 card in her last six events and ninth-consecutive Top 20 finish.
• Paced the Lady Bulldogs to a share of sixth-place along with No. 29 LSU, which tied the record for consecutive Top 10 finishes (9).
• Guided State to its second-lowest round in history (289), third-lowest 36-hole score (588) and fourth-lowest tourney total (888).
• Led the Lady Bulldogs to wins against Ole Miss and Missouri, their first victories against SEC opponents this season.
• Owns the SEC's third-lowest scoring average at 72.41, which is on pace to break MSU's all-time single-season record by nearly two strokes.
WOMEN’S FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK – Abby Newton, Ole Miss -- Katy, Texas
• Newton helped Ole Miss to an eighth-place finish at the team’s own M&F Bank Rebel Intercollegiate last week out of 18 teams.
• Newton led the team with a T14th place finish (73-71-76—220). She fired a career-low round of 71 on Saturday. The 54-hole score of 220 is also her career best.