SEC Sunday Soccer Headquarters > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Sunday Soccer Headquarters

    Sunday Soccer RESULTS
    Utah 0, Kentucky 0
    Wake Forest 3, Alabama 0
    Florida State 4, Auburn 1
    Georgia 2, Houston 0
    Mississippi State 4, Arkansas State 0
    Memphis 2, Mizzou 1 (OT)
    Arkansas 3, SMU 2 (2 OT)
    Vanderbilt 2, Oklahoma State 2
    South Carolina 1, Duke 0
    Florida 3, Oregon State 1
    Samford 1, Tennessee 0 
    Ole Miss 5, UAB 2
    Texas A&M 1, UTSA 0

    Kentucky and Utah Play Scoreless Draw in Home Opener

    LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s soccer team played to a 0-0 draw in the home opener of the 2013 UK Athletics season on Sunday afternoon after dominating the shots and corners in the match with the Utah Utes.
    “Today went very poorly and it simply wasn’t good enough,” UK head coach Lipsitz said after the match. “We got dominated on 50/50 balls, and we didn’t put in the work necessary to play good soccer,”
    The Wildcats remain brilliant at home over the last two seasons, as Kentucky moves to 10-1-2 in the last 13 home games played at the UK Soccer Complex. In that span of games, UK has won games over two ranked teams, and played to a draw with No. 6 Texas A&M a season ago. 
    Kentucky had several chances in the first half, with its best chance coming in the fifth minute when freshman Zoe Swift got in behind the Utes’ defense and had a 1v1 opportunity with the keeper from the top of the 18. After a few touches, Swift fired a rifle to the keeper’s left paw, and it was saved and hung on to, preventing the goal.
    Swift was one of three freshmen who comprised the top line for the Wildcats, as Kentucky started three freshmen up top in the match with Swift joining Laura Connor and Alex Carter in the starting 11.
    “Zoe is obviously a very special player,” Lipsitz said. “The thing that I like about Zoe, is that as good as she is, she is constantly coming and asking ‘What can I do better? Can I see film? Can I see this? Can I do that?’ She was an amazing second half player for the Wake Forest match. It makes it easy for me to coach because she can be her own critic.”
    After no team could score in the match after the 90 minutes of regulation, the game moved to overtime, where Kentucky would outshoot the Utes 5-1 in the overtime sessions. 
    The Wildcats best chance in the extra session came from Kelli Hubly in the 94th minute. Hubly was making a far-side run down the left flank and had a ball played to her from the midfield in stride about 20 yards from goal. Hubly fired the shot, and it sailed high, resulting in a goal kick.
    Hubly had another opportunity to punch through in the 103rd minute when she was served a ball in and volleyed it into the arms of Utes’ goalkeeper Lindsey Luke, who played it out and cleared the chance.
    The Wildcats draw pushed their season record to 0-1-1 on the year, with UK’s next opportunity to pick up its first win of the season, coming on Friday night at 5:00 p.m. ET against in-state foe Eastern Kentucky at the UK Soccer Complex. 
    For continuing coverage of UK women’s soccer, log on to 

    Alabama Falls at No. 15 Wake Forest

    WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Alabama soccer team dropped its season-opening contest, falling by a final score of 3-0 at No. 15 Wake Forest on Sunday afternoon.
    All three Wake Forest goals were scored in the opening 45 minutes of play, with all three coming on breakaways. All-American senior forward Katie Stengel finished with a pair of goals, which came in the 19th and 44th minutes of play. Ally Berry scored the other goal for Wake in the 34th minute.
    The Crimson Tide had a great opportunity to take an early lead in the 10th minute when senior Molly Atherton ripped a shot from 22 yards out, but it ricocheted off the cross bar and was cleared away.
    Alabama regrouped after intermission and outshot Wake Forest, 6-5, over the final 45 minutes, but failed to find the back of the net.
    UA goalkeeper Shelby Church finished with three saves in the contest.
    The Tide will play a pair of home matches next weekend, when it welcomes Georgia State on Friday and Mercer on Sunday. Both contests begin at 7 p.m. at the Alabama Sports Complex.

    Auburn Falls to No. 3 FSU in Tallahsee

    TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Auburn soccer team suffered its first loss of the season Saturday, taking a 4-1 loss at No. 3 Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla. The Tigers fall to 0-1-1 on the season while Florida State improves to 2-0-0.
    “We got beat by a better team today,” said head coach Karen Hoppa. “Credit to Florida State. They lost a lot from last year, but they re-loaded, came out and played really well today.”
    Even with the loss, playing the third-ranked team in the country is something Hoppa thinks will benefit her team down the road.
    “It is early in the season and we are going to learn a lot from this match,” said Hoppa. “Playing this match today is going to make us better. With being such a young team, there is so much that we can take away from today.”
    Florida State struck early, taking a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute of the match. Bergland Thorvaldsdottir scored on a diving header at the left side of the goal off a cross from Marta Bakowska-Mathews.
    The Seminoles struck again before the half as Nora Kervroedan scored on a penalty kick in the 41st minute, giving FSU a 2-0 lead. The kick occurred after AU’s Chelsea Gandy-Cromer and an FSU player got tangled on the end line in a battle for the ball.
    FSU got on the board early in the second half, taking a 3-0 lead in the 53rd minute. Jamia Fields found Thorvaldsdottir in front of the goal, about 12 yards out, setting up the redirect shot.
    Thorvaldsdottir returned the favor in the 60th minute as she crossed a pass in from the left corner, setting up a header for Fields that gave FSU a 4-0 lead.
    Auburn killed the shutout in the 86th minute as freshman Haley Roberson scored her first career goal. Senior Bianca Sierra set up the scoring situation with a corner kick. Casie Ramsier received the kick and headed it to the left post, but Roberson was there to finish off the play for the goal. The goal was the first scored on the third-ranked Seminoles this season.
    Alyse Scott and Alicen Wright split time in the goal for Auburn with Scott getting the start and playing the first half. Scott totaled two saves while Wright, who played the entire second half in the goal, saved three.
    Auburn will return to the field at 7 p.m. CT, Friday as the Tigers travel to Samford. The next home Auburn match will be on Friday, Sept. 6 as the Tigers host Mercer to open a six-match homestand.

    Georgia Downs Houston to Earn Weekend Split

    HOUSTON --- The Georgia soccer team posted a 2-0 win over Houston on Sunday afternoon at the Carl Lewis International Complex, with a pair of first half goals from senior Nikki Hill and freshman Rachel Garcia making the difference.
    The Bulldogs return home from their tour of the Lone Star State with weekend the split, starting the 2013 season with a record of 1-1 as they were able to avenge Friday night’s 2-0 loss to Texas. Houston also sits at 1-1 to start the year after today’s loss.
    Defensively, Georgia limited Houston to just one shot, which didn’t come until the 89th minute. It marks just the fifth time in program history a Bulldog opponent has been held to one shot in a game. Georgia has twice kept an opponent from taking a shot and nearly did so Sunday.
    “It feels great,” said head coach Steve Holeman. “We challenged the team to respond from Friday night’s loss and we came on the road against a good Houston team. Our team did incredibly well – it was nice to get the two goals in there and our defense did a phenomenal job holding them to one shot. We certainly wanted to come in here and get on the board today. We know we have some dangerous weapons. This is a good road win and it was a pretty complete game for us.”
    Georgia had a good look at the goal just seconds into the game when sophomore Andie Fontanetta got a head on one in front, but the keeper was able to break it up. Freshman Gabby Seiler then had a good long-range left-footed shot with 10 minutes gone by that was saved, setting up a Bulldog corner that was covered up by the Houston defense.
    The Bulldogs broke through the scoreless tie in the 24th minute when Hill tallied UGA’s first goal of the season and the third of her career, sending a free kick into danger that bounced past the keeper to give Georgia the 1-0 lead. The rookie Garcia was there to finish up but didn’t have to, as Hill’s service made its way in on its own to give the Bulldogs the early advantage on the road.
    Georgia added its second goal less than a minute before halftime on a play that started when the senior Madeline Barker freed up Gabby Seiler for a shot in front. Seiler’s chance bounced back out to an awaiting Garcia to send it in, and she didn’t miss, tallying her first career score to lift Georgia in front 2-0 heading into the break.
    At intermission, UGA led in the shot column by a count of 10-0, holding Houston without a good scoring opportunity through the first 45:00.
    The Bulldogs opened the second half on a tear, seeing several early chances including a good look for the freshman forward Bria Washington, whose flick off a rolling ball in front sailed just wide of the frame and was controlled by the keeper six minutes in. Moments later, Seiler had a strong shot batted down by the keeper, and Seiler continued her strong afternoon with a good run inside and a pass back to Laura Eddy, whose shot went just high as the clock approached 22:30 to go.
    A good sideline run for Marion Crowder opened up the freshman for a shot on the right side, but her offering went high with 11 minutes to play. Crowder had a cross over to Barker with nine minutes to play, but the senior’s header was stopped nearing nine minutes on the clock. Georgia continued to pressure but couldn’t find the net again, as the final shot tally ended 27-1 in UGA’s favor and Houston mustering that shot with under two minutes to go in desperation from well outside on the left. 
    Seiler and Barker paced Georgia with five shots each on the day, while Seiler had the assist on Garcia’s goal. The Bulldogs also had five corners to UH’s one. A pair of Houston keepers in Sydney George and Cami Koski combined to make 10 stops in goal.
    Georgia is now 2-0 all-time vs. the Cougars. 
    The Bulldogs will open the home schedule next weekend vs. Mercer and Furman on Friday and Sunday, respectively. Live video coverage will be available for both games on 

    Mississippi State Sprints Past Arkansas State

    STARKVILLE, Miss. – Elisabeth Sullivan became Mississippi State’s all-time points leader as she and freshman Annebel ten Broeke scored two goals each to lead the Bulldogs to a 4-0 win against Arkansas State Sunday afternoon at the MSU Soccer Field.
    The Bulldogs redeemed a 3-2 setback at South Alabama on Friday to even the 2013 mark at 1-1. Arkansas State fell to 0-1-1.
    “I think we responded (from Friday), but we still have a ways to go to get better. We needed a response, and Dana Forbes gave us one early. She had to make a great tackle and she made it. She put in a great pass, and Annebel was there to take it down nicely,” Aaron Gordon said. “We had the desire and belief that we needed.”
    Sullivan scored her second goal of the season in the 15th minute, then set the points record with her third goal of the year less than two minutes later. The Memphis native claimed the 64th point of her career, breaking the previous standard of 62 held by Jessi Moore since the 2002 campaign.
    “(Elisabeth) Sullivan is a proven goal scorer not only for this program, but for our league,” Gordon said. “As she and Annebel build some chemistry, (Elisabeth) will have an opportunity to smash the all-time scoring record. Annebel has great vision and is a great passer of the ball, and Sully will be the benefactor of that.”
    Sullivan’s pair of scores clinched the contest after freshman Annebel ten Broeke, who collected five points on the afternoon, scored her first collegiate goal in the 2nd minute. 
    The Amsterdam, Netherlands, native took passes from Dana Forbes and Addie Tomlin, made a step past the keeper and put the ball into the empty net for the third-fastest goal in MSU history.
    The Bulldogs pushed the lead to 2-0 in the 15th minute as Sullivan struck the first of her two goals. Shannon Palmer connected with ten Broeke, who slotted a pass through the defense that Sullivan ran onto and delivered to the far post.
    Sullivan set the career points standard moments later as she dribbled between a pair of Arkansas State defenders and put a shot just inside the back post.
    “We knew that we had to come back strong today. We really started connecting some passes, and that created a momentum to the game that helped us,” Sullivan said. 
    “It feels really good and I’m honored,” Sullivan said of setting the career points mark. “The first (goal) was a through pass that I ran on to and hit in the right corner. The second one I had two defenders on me and I beat them and hit it in the right corner again.”
    The Bulldogs made the lead hold as they took the 3-0 advantage to halftime. 
    Ten Broeke capped the scoring at the 58-minute mark off a 19-yard free kick. Sullivan was fouled on a run toward the ASU goal, and ten Broeke beat Arkansas State starting keeper Michaela Supple with a low shot into the right side of goal.
    “We all agreed that we had to do better than Friday. Our chemistry was much better today knowing we had to win the game,” ten Broeke said. “We started great. When we had the ball we immediately scored, and we were able to build off that. Some parts of the game were better than others, but we are improving.”
    Senior CJ Winship stopped one shot in the opening half and freshman Meara Johnson added four second-half saves as the two combined for the blank sheet.
    Supple stopped six shots in 64 minutes for Arkansas State. Amanda Lee played the final 26 minutes, making five stops.
    The Bulldog offense posted double-digit shots in each half to take a 26-18 advantage. State put 15 of its opportunities on goal, while the Red Wolves managed to put just five attempts on frame. 
    Gordon’s side opens a four-match road swing next weekend, traveling to Fort Myers, Fla., for the Embassy Suites Classic. The Dawgs face Florida Atlantic at 3:30 p.m. CST on Friday before wrapping the weekend with a noon Sunday opening kick against host Florida Gulf Coast. 

    Memphis Notches Overtime Goal to Down Mizzou

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Memphis scored in the seventh minute of overtime to record a 2-1 win over the Mizzou soccer team on Sunday afternoon in Memphis Tenn. The loss dropped Missouri to 1-1 on the year, while Memphis improved to 2-0.
    The home squad got behind Mizzou's defense to tally the game-winning goal. Memphis' Christabel Oduro caught Missouri redshirt junior goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein off her line and sent a 20-yard shot from the right side of the box into the right netting.
    Memphis opened scoring early in the seventh minute. The home team sent a free kick into the box that Diamond Simpson headed back toward the far post and past Mizzou Sauerwein.
    Junior Kaysie Clark equalized the score at 1-1 in the 26th with her first tally of the year. Senior Danielle Nottingham sent a ball across the box to Clark, who was stationed 10-yards in front of the net. Clark took a dribble and easily punched her shot past Memphis' goalie. The assist was already Nottingham's third of the season.
    Mizzou nearly took the lead in the 55th minute after senior Alyssa Diggs was fouled deep in the Memphis defensive half. Clark sent a ball toward the far post but could not connect with sophomore Candace Johnson to head it home.
    In the 60th minute, Memphis sent a cross to the far post but redshirt sophomore Brittany Conley cleared the ball from the goal line to thwart the opportunity. The home squad also had a chance in the 82nd minute but Christabel Oduro's chip over Sauerwein clanged off the crossbar and the Mzizzou defense was able to clear. 
    Missouri was on the offensive early into the overtime session. Less than a minute in, Diggs sent a cross into the box but junior Taylor Grant's shot sailed over the crossbar. Clark also unleashed a shot on net that flew just wide. Memphis recovered from Mizzou's early onslaught and began to pressure the Tiger defense, leading to the winning goal.
    The two squads each had 11 shots in the game, while Mizzou had a 6-4 edge in shots on goal.
    Sauerwein made two saves in goal.
    The Tigers return to action at home on Friday, Aug. 30 with a 6:30 p.m. contest against SEMO. 

    Arkansas Takes Care of SMU Thanks to Goal in Double-Overtime

    FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas soccer team scored three goals in just over 100 minutes of play. Sophomore Ashleigh Ellenwood picked up a golden goal off of her head in the 101st minute to lift the Razorbacks (2-0) over the SMU Mustangs (1-1) in the second overtime. 
    “It was a pretty typical Sunday game,” head coach Colby Hale said. “It was a grind, it was back and forth. We scored three goals and even had a couple called back on offsides but we were pleased with the effort. No one is going to outwork us, no one is going to out grind us, no one is going to out fight us. We know this is who we are and anyone who comes to play us is going to have to put up a full 110 minutes.”
    After a quiet first 45 minutes of play from both sides, both the Arkansas and SMU offenses erupted to score a total of five goals in the second half and overtime. The Razorbacks picked up 13 shots with 8 on goal while out shooting the mustangs in both categories with SMU tallying 11 shots and 6 on goal. 
    SMU would start the scoring in the match when junior Shelby Redmman scored in the first minute of the second half. However, Arkansas would respond with two goals of its own to make the score 2-1. Junior Jeriann Okoro found the back of the net in the 60th minute off of the assist from junior Allie Tripp at midfield. Later in the half, senior Taylor Green would score on a penalty kick after a foul in the box from SMU. Not but twenty seconds later, SMU would quickly tie the match with 20 minutes remaining in the second half. 
    “Before we went into overtime we talked about grinding out the rest of the game and leaving everything out on the field,” Okoro said. “We knew we needed to work hard, and the team that was going to work the hardest was going to win. I am proud of all of my teammates and we all really worked hard for the win.”
    In the first overtime, SMU would put up one shot attempt but could not find the back of the net. The Razorbacks would have a few chances but could not find the goal and force a second overtime period.
    Just one minute into the second overtime, Ellenwood had the chance for a one-on-one opportunity with a breakaway but was pulled down from behind by an SMU player for which she was awarded a yellow card. Arkansas would get the chance to run a set piece from thirty yards out where Tripp lofted the ball into the box where Ellenwood connected with her head to score the golden goal and pick up the second win on the season. 
    The Razorbacks return to action on Friday Aug. 30, to play host to St. Louis. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m. (CT) kickoff at Razorback Field.
    For more information on Arkansas Soccer, follow @RazorbackSoccer on Twitter.

    Vanderbilt and Oklahoma State Play to 2-2 Draw

    NASHVILLE - An equalizer in the 70th minute prevented the Vanderbilt women's soccer from beating visiting Oklahoma State Sunday, as the two teams played for the full 110 minutes in a 1-1 draw despite the Commodores holding a 24-16 advantage in shots on the afternoon.
    Freshman Krystina Iordanou and senior Abby Carr tallied goals for the Commodores. Iordanou's goal came off a Vanderbilt free kick in the 21st minute. Sophomore Erin Myers served a ball from near midfield, and Iordanou rose at the top of the six-yard box to slash a header inside the near post.
    Eleven minutes later, Carr would notch the 'Dores second tally of the day. After sophomore Cheyna Williams was pulled down inside OSU's penalty box, Carr stepped up and calmly finished a penalty kick less than a minute after she had subbed into the game.
    The Commodores held a 12-6 advantage in shots during the second half, and a 5-3 lead during the two overtime periods. OSU goalkeeper Rosa Medina was credited with 11 saves. The Cowgirls also recorded a team save on a header from VU freshman Simone Charley in the 93rd minute. Freshman Olivia Liebman, making her first career start, stooped eight OSU shots.
    The Cowgirls took a 1-0 lead in the game's eighth minute when Courtney Dike took a through ball from Madison Mercado and chipped over an attacking Liebman. Trailing 2-1 in the second half, OSU would tie the game when Dike headed home a corner kick from Allie Stephenson. 
    Vanderbilt Commodores Mobile App 
    Vanderbilt will play its first road contest of 2013 on Friday, August 30, traveling to face Memphis at 7 p.m. CT. The Commodores will then return home to play host to Rice on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. CT.

    Samfrod Edges Tennessee

    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Tennessee soccer team played a physical match for 90 minutes on Sunday, but Samford's goal in the 10th minute was enough to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 win over the Volunteers at Samford Track and Soccer Stadium.
    Tennessee (1-1-0) played with better intensity in the second half, but an early surge by Samford (1-1-0) and Malcanisha Kelley's score in the 10th minute proved to be the difference.
    Junior Hannah Wilkinson led the UT attack with six shots, including three on goal. Senior Caroline Brown had four shots and two shots on goal.
    Eckel (1-1-0) took the loss for Tennessee after allowing one goal and making one save.
    Kelley proved to be Samford's most dangerous offensive player, recording four shots.
    Samford pulled ahead early in the first half. In the 10th minute, Kelley sprinted into the box and broke past the UT back line to slide in a goal from a few yards out. Jordan Johnson had the assist on the play. Throughout the rest of the first half, Samford had shots ricochet off the posts and maintained strong offensive pressure until the break.
    Tennessee had several crosses into the box in the first half but could not capitalize. In the eighth minute, Wilkinson fired a shot inside that was deflected past the right post. Wilkinson had a breakaway on the far side in the 13th minute and fired a strong shot on goal. Samford keeper Katie Peters made a great diving save to her left to prevent the score.
    Wilkinson stayed aggressive in the box, firing wide left from the top corner of the box in the 28th minute.
    In the final 10 minutes of the first half, Amy Neal had some nice crosses inside the box. In the 36th minute, she arced a nice ball in to the top center of the box, but Katie Lenz swung and missed on an attempt for a rocket shot aiming for dead center. 
    In the 38th minute, Neal played another nice ball inside the box for Brown, who shook a defender and had a shot go wide left on the ground. Brown had another shot go wide right with under six minutes left in the half.
    Samford took its 1-0 lead into halftime. Tennessee had a 7-6 edge on shots and a 7-1 advantage on corner kicks at the half.
    Tennessee next heads to Orlando, Fla., to face UCF on Aug. 30 at 7 p.m. ET. The Orange and White returns to Regal Stadium on Sept. 1 to host James Madison at 1 p.m. ET.

    Ole Miss Blazes Past UAB with 5-2 Victory

    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – It was a tale of two halves on Sunday night as what started as an offensive match turned into a defensive struggle in the second half between the Rebels and Blazers. 
    Ole Miss (2-0) got all the offense it needed in the first half, though, and added two goals in the closing minutes of the game to grab a 5-2 victory over UAB (1-1) on the road. The Rebels got all five goals from different players to snatch the win.
    “It was a great first half to get out to a quick lead,” said Ole Miss head coach Matthew Mott. “They responded and put us back on our heels a little bit, but I’m proud of the way we answered in the second half. It’s never easy to win on the road and we played well in a hostile environment in front of a great crowd.”
    “We moved the ball really well again tonight and five goal scorers tells you all you really need to know,” Mott said. “We’re making it hard to know who to key in on offensively. Now we have to go home and spend the next week getting ready for Northwestern State in front of a rowdy home crowd.”
    Five minutes into the game, the Rebels got on the board with a fast break that saw Olivia Harrison send the ball to Rafaelle Souza at the top of the box on the far side. Souza then sent the ball in past a leaping keeper to put Ole Miss on top of the Blazers 1-0.
    The Rebels continued to build on the lead in the first half when Jennifer Miller scored her third goal of the season in the 20th minute. Souza took a shot that was blocked by a UAB defender. Miller gathered the deflection and lined it up, putting it in over the head of the goalkeep to give Ole Miss the 2-0 advantage.
    Ole Miss added a third goal in the 25th minute when Souza took the ball on the far side and sent a cross to Bethany Bunker on the near side. The wide open Bunker buried the ball in the back of the net to give the Rebels the 3-0 lead.
    The Blazers responded in the 33rd minute with a goal of their own. UAB took the ball off a throw in and went down the far side of the field, sending the ball forward to Megan Collins. Collins then sent a cross to Paige Hanks on the near side who scored to put UAB on the board.
    Four minutes ticked off the clock before the Blazers took a defensive stop and turned it into an attack, driving down the field and converting on a second goal to cut the lead to 3-2 with another goal from Hanks.
    Olivia Harrison put the lead back out to two goals in the 82nd minute when she took the ball in the box from ?, turned and drilled it past the keeper to make it 4-2 in favor of the Rebels. 
    Mandy McCalla then capped the scoring for the Rebels in the 87th minute, taking the ball on the far side of the box and dribbling past a defender before squaring up and nailing the shot to take the lead out to the 5-2 final margin of victory.
    The Rebels will return to action on Friday night, hosting the Northwestern State Demons at 7 p.m. at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium.

    TAMU Turns in Clean Slate vs UTSA

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Junior Shea Groom broke a scoreless tie in the 79th minute of action and sent No. 12 Texas A&M to a 1-0 win over the UTSA Roadrunners in collegiate soccer action at Ellis Field on Sunday evening.
    With the Aggies struggling to break the scoring seal despite 11 shots-on-goal through 78 minutes, freshman defender Grace Wright controlled the ball on the left touchline at midfield and boomed a pass towards the far post with Groom in pursuit. The mercurial forward collected the ball in the goal area to the right of the right post and sent a shot left of the Roadrunners’ goalkeeper and into the back net for the 1-0 lead with 11:33 remaining in the second half.
    UTSA nearly evened the score 30 seconds later. The Roadrunners launched a ball into the box and a UTSA forward wiped out A&M goalkeeper Jordan Day to leave the net unattended for the Aggies. Kaytee O’Brien collected the ball in the scrum 10 yards out and sent in a shot, but Karlie Mueller, playing solid defense, kept the ball from crossing the line for the team save.
    Texas A&M owned decisive advantages in shots (26-7), shots-on-goal (14-2) and corner kicks (7-1), but were unable to create separation in the contest.
    Day made one save and picked up her first shutout of the season and the 24th of her career. With the shutout, Day tied Kati Jo Spisak for second place on A&M’s career shutout list. The duo trails only Melanie Wilson who registered 32 from 1996-99.
    Bubba Makela made 13 saves for UTSA, including eight in the second half.
    Coming out of the intermission tied 0-0, the Aggies threw numbers into the attack to try to get the offense rolling. In the first 10 minutes of the half, defender Mueller took a pair of shots and midfielder Meghan Streight added a shot, but Makela came up with saves all three times.
    Day’s lone save of the game was a valiant one, diving to her left to get a glove on a shot from Happy Orere-Amadu in the 57th minute.
    Texas A&M’s pressure returned for the next 12 minutes with five corner kicks and six shots, but Makela made five saves before Groom finally found the net.
    The Aggies had 10 different players uncork shots, including eight with multiple shots. Groom led the attack with five shots, including three shots-on-goal. All three of Allie Bailey’s shots were shots-on-goal. Kunz, Kelley Monogue and Mueller each had two shots-on-goal.
    With the victory, Texas A&M improved to 19-0-3 against in-state foes since 2008.
    The Aggies return to action on Friday when they host the Arizona State Sun Devils in a 7:30 pm contest at Ellis Field.

    South Carolina Knocks Off No. 7 Duke

    COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina women’s soccer team earned its first win since 2010 over a top-10 opponent as they upset No. 7 Duke 1-0 at Stone Stadium behind a first half goal from Danielle Au.
    “It’s huge to come here and beat such a tremendous team,” said Head Coach Shelley Smith of the win over Duke. “They’re a great team, they’re going to go far this year, so much talent, but I’m so proud of our girls. They showed that they wanted to win. That was a tough road trip for Duke and we took advantage of having momentum at the start of the game and we kept it going. It was a huge team effort. The seniors down through the freshmen, they all played a huge role in keeping the play up for the entire 90 minutes so credit goes to the entire team.”
    The win was South Carolina’s first over a top-10 opponent since defeating No. 10 UNC-Greensboro 2-1 in the NCAA Tournament on Nov. 12, 2010. The last time Carolina downed a top-10 team at home was No. 7 Clemson on Sept. 15, 2004.
    The Gamecocks had their first scoring threat of the match in the 11th minute, when sophomore defender Caroline Gray brought the ball out of the midfield to find freshman forward Sophie Groff on the left side.  Groff hit a one-time cross into the path of freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan, but the pass was just out of reach and rolled out of bounds for a goal kick.
    Carolina continued to hold possession, and senior forward Danielle Au drew the first Gamecock free kick of the match 25 yards from frame.  Senior midfielder Elizabeth Sinclair and Au stood over the ball, with a strike from Au just over the crossbar to hold the contest scoreless with 27 minutes to play in the first half.
    D’Angelo was challenged with consecutive saves with under 20 minutes remaining in the half.  The first from Duke midfielder Kaitlyn Kerr, before another from forward Kelly Cobb on a free-kick opportunity just outside of the box in the 32nd minute.
    D’Angelo saved a sure goal moments later on a header from Blue Devil forward Kim DeCesare.  DeCesare hit the attempt to the near post off another Duke free-kick, which D’Angelo blocked before collecting the rebound steps from the end line.
    Au tallied her second goal of the season just two minutes later for a 1-0 Carolina lead.  Freshman forward Daija Griffin battled a Duke defender for a loose ball and found Au on the left side.  The senior forward located Duke goalkeeper Meghan Thomas and hit a well-placed shot to the side of frame for the Gamecock advantage.
    Duke defender Lizzy Raben hit an attempt high of the crossbar near the end of the half, but the Gamecocks held a 1-0 advantage entering the locker room for the break.
    Both teams had their chances through the first part of the second half.  Duke drew a corner kick with 23 minutes remaining in the half after a shot from forward Laura Weinberg, which D’Angelo blocked across the end line.
    Griffin hit a shot directly towards Duke goalkeeper Ali Kershner in the 70th minute and the freshman striker placed a through-ball into the six-yard box just beyond the foot of senior midfielder Gabrielle Gilbert moments later, but the contest continued to hold at 1-0 Gamecocks with 15 minutes to play.
    The South Carolina defense played stellar in the second half, several times in the later minutes clearing attempts from the Blue Devils.  Carolina was called for a foul with one minute remaining in the contest, but the Gamecock defense cleared the ensuing free kick, and Carolina closed the 1-0 victory.
    D’Angelo recorded her 9th career shutout to tie for fourth on the all-time list at South Carolina as she tallied four saves on the night.
    South Carolina continues non-conference play when it travels to Boston University next Friday for a 7:30 p.m. ET match.  Visit throughout the week for match details.
    Season tickets for women's soccer, which includes admission to all home games, are currently on sale in the Gamecock Ticket Office. Fans can purchase tickets online at, or by calling 1-800-4SC-FANS. Cost for season tickets for men's soccer is $25 for adults and $10 for youth (17 and under).

    Hat-Trick from Freshman Pushes Gators Past Beavers

    Three goals by freshman Savannah Jordan gave the No. 9 Florida soccer team a 3-1 win over Oregon State Sunday evening at the James G. Pressly Stadium. Florida finishes its opening weekend of 2013 action 2-0 while the Beavers leave the state 0-2.
    Two matches into her collegiate career and Jordan now owns five goals – the highest goal total for any Gator through a season’s opening two contests.
    Jordan’s hat-trick in the second match of the season is the earliest ever by a Gator freshman. Two others posted hat-tricks in their freshman seasons – Andi Sellers (two in 1997) and Abby Wambach (one in 1998).
    Jordan scored twice in the opening half and pushed the Gator lead back to two goals with her final strike in the 84th minute.
    In the 19-year history of the Gator soccer program, the only other freshmen to score in the opening two matches of their collegiate careers were a pair of players in the first season of Florida soccer in 1995: Aimee Wagstaff – two goals in each of first two matches and Melissa Pini – one goal in each of the first two matches.
    Only one other Gator had a hat-trick in the second match of a season – then redshirt sophomore Andi Sellers had three goals in Florida’s 5-0 win versus UCF in the second match of the 1999 season.
    RECORDS: Florida (2-0, 0-0 SEC); Oregon State (0-2, 0-0 Pac-12).
    THE SERIES: Now even at 1-all. In the only other meeting between the two teams, OSU defeated Florida 1-0 OT in the 2009 NCAA Second Round play in Columbus, Ohio.