SEC Soccer Roundup: Sunday, September 1 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Roundup: Sunday, September 1

    Kentucky 2, Toledo 1
    Tennessee 2, James Madison 0
    South Carolina 3, Northeastern 0
    Georgia 2, Furman 0
    Arkansas 3, Missouri State 0
    Florida 4, FIU 0
    Missouri 3, UMKC 0
    Ole Miss 2, Saint Louis 0
    Florida Gulf Coast 2, Mississippi State 1
    Pepperdine 3, Texas A&M 1
    Mercer 2, Alabama 1
    Rice 3, Vanderbilt 2


    UK Women's Soccer Sweeps Weekend With 2-1 Win Over Toledo

    TOLEDO,Ohio. -- The University of Kentucky women's soccer team dominated every statistical category en route to a 2-1 win over the Toledo Rockets on Sunday afternoon, completing a weekend sweep for the first time this season, bumping its record to 2-1-1 on the year.

    “We are a very young team,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “We challenged them at halftime to continue to be active in the attack, make dynamic runs and keep pushing forward. We obviously were not happy with the way we played last week, and they all understood that, and responded with a great weekend of soccer. Toledo presented some challenges that we haven't faced all season, but we came through in a big way and got a solid road win.”

    Kentucky broke through in the 55th minute after leading the Rockets 14-0 in the shots category before Stuart Pope tucked away her third goal on the weekend, giving the Wildcats the 1-0 lead. Pope got a great centering ball from Arin Gilliland at the top of the six-yard box, who then beat the keeper to her left, piercing the back of the net for the goal. The ball from Gilliland came from the wide side run of Zoe Swift, who then served the ball to Gilliland to give the Cats the scoring chance.

    Less than three minutes later, UK doubled their lead to 2-0 when Swift punched through her fourth-career goal, and fourth goal on the weekend in the 57th minute. Senior Caitlin Landis played a ball from the far side into the box just above the penalty stripe, and it was buried by Swift, who continued her stellar weekend. The ball to Landis on the far side came in from sophomore Courtney Raetzman, who played the ball out of midfield to a running Landis down the left flank.

    The game for Swift comes directly after she recorded the first hat trick by a UK player since 2006 on Friday night in a 7-0 win over Eastern Kentucky. Between the attacking duo of Gillland, Pope and Swift, the three combined for 21 points on the weekend.

    Kentucky dominated the stat categories, outshooting the Rockets 25-4 in the 90 minutes, and earning 11 corner kicks to Toledo's two. The Rockets managed just two shots on goal in the match.

    The next match for the Wildcats will be on Friday night with the Louisville Cardinals coming to the UK Soccer Complex for a 7:30 p.m. ET fixture. Last year, the Wildcats toppled the Cardinals 2-0 at Cardinal Park thanks to twogoals in the second half.

    For continuing coverage of UK women's soccer, log on to


    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Hannah Wilkinson beat the keeper for a first-half goal and booted an open-net score in the second half to lead Tennessee to a 2-0 victory over James Madison on Sunday at Regal Soccer Stadium.

    Tennessee improved to 3-1-0 on the season, sweeping its weekend matches. James Madison fell to 2-2-0. UT goalkeeper Julie Eckel (3-1-0) recorded her first shutout of the season. Wilkinson scored in the fourth minute and the 77th minute to push her weekend goal total to three (one at No. 17 UCF, two vs. James Madison).

    Tennessee enjoyed a 17-9 edge on shots while James Madison had five corner kicks to UT's two. The Volunteers played very aggressive throughout the match as they were called offsides eight times to the Dukes' one. Wilkinson and freshmen Amalie Thestrup and Amy Neal each had three shots on goal. Sophomore Susan Ferguson had two shots on goal.

    UT and Wilkinson wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard. In the fourth minute, junior Cheyenne Spade found Wilkinson on a breakaway. The junior New Zealand native muscled her way past two defenders and surged past the goal keeper Ellen Forrest (2-2-0) for a score from the right side. The assist gave Spade three helpers on the weekend.

    In the 17th minute, Thestrup fired a shot on the ground to the left post directly to Forrest.

    James Madison had numerous crosses through the box that the Dukes could not capitalize on. JMU fired its first shot in the 30th minute when Becky Sparks sailed a free kick outside the box high of the crossbar.

    In the 35th minute, Forrest denied Wilkinson with a diving save to her right and bounced back up to cover the rebound shot by Neal.

    In the 40th minute, JMU missed out on a chance to even the game before halftime when Rachel Ivey's header off a corner kick went wide of the goal. Two minutes later, JMU's Haley Miller had a shot off a throw in go high over the cross bar.

    Eckel made two big saves in the final minutes before halftime. In the 43rd minute, Eckel stopped Jennie Sroba's shot from outside the box. In the 45th minute, Eckel made a save to her right after Kelly Abt fired from outside the box.

    Tennessee came out aggressive after the halftime break. Thestrup had a shot on the ground stopped in the 58th minute and Ferguson missed out on a great breakaway in the 59th, kicking the ball right to the keeper in a one-on-one.

    Ferguson nearly collided with Forrest in the 65th minute on a shot taken near the front left side of the JMU box.

    Neal had a shot turned away in the 76th minute. The rookie fired diagonally through the box from the left side, but Forrest was there to make a save once again.

    The Volunteers found the back of the net in the 77th minute when sophomore Suzanne Capocaccia played a ball forward toCC Cobb on the near side. Cobb sent a beautiful arcing pass down the field for a streaking Wilkinson. After shaking the keeper, Wilkinson had an open net from about three yards out for the easy score.

    Tennessee will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 6, to host Dayton at 7 p.m. at Regal Soccer Stadium.

    Gamecocks Fly Past Northeastern With 3-0 Win

    BROOKLINE, Mass. -- Despite a half hour delay due to lightning in the area and driving rain throughout the morning, South Carolina used a second half onslaught to put away Northeastern 3-0 at Parsons Field this afternoon.

    “We made some better choices in our offensve third, the passing was more clean,” Head Coach Shelley Smith said of the play up front. “I thought the first half took us a bit to get adjusted. Northeastern came out with good pressure and we had to figure out how we were going to get behind. I thought we showed glimpses of the attack in the first half, but I think in the second half we made some better choices and put some good pressure on them and created some good goal scoring opportunities.”

    Striker Sophie Groff tallied the game's opening goal in the 23rd minute, scoring the first goal of her career from six yards out. Freshman Daija Griffin sent a low cross into the box to Groff who held off a Huskie defender, turned to her left and fired a shot to the left side past Northeastern keeper Paige Burnett.

    Just over 10 minutes later, Griffin nearly doubled the lead as freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan hit a low cross from the left side that first skipped past a sliding attempt from senior forward Danielle Au before finding the foot of Griffin whose attempt was grabbed by Burnett.

    Nearly three minutes later, junior Christa Neary sent in a cross that Groff brought down in the middle of the Northeastern box, tapped to Au who slipped past a defender and ripped a clean shot to the right side that was knocked out of play.

    The Gamecocks stormed out of the half on a mission, looking to the put the game away. Drennan beat her defender down the right flank and sent in a low cross to Au who turned right and hit a shot to the low left corner past a diving Northeastern keeper to double the lead and record her third goal of the year. Au led all Gamecocks with four shots, including three on frame.

    Less than seven minutes later, Raina Johnson got herself into the scoring column as the sophomore midfielder found space just outside the edge of the right side of the 18-yard box and hit a liner over the Huskies' keeper which found the top corner of the net to close out the Garnet and Black's scoring output.

    After only a two shot advantage in the first half, the Gamecocks recorded nine shots in the second 45 minutes to post a 16-7 edge in the shot column, putting 13 on frame.

    South Carolina junior goalkeeper Sabrina D'Angelo continued her shutout streak to start the season after recording three saves today. She increased her scoreless streak to 380 minutes and is currently fourth all-time in shutouts at Carolina with 11.

    The Gamecocks will take a 3-0-1 record into Clemson on Sept. 6 for the annual Palmetto State clash. Kickoff is slated for 5:30 p.m. ET.

    Season tickets for women's soccer, which includes admission to all home games, are currently on sale in the Gamecock Ticket Office. Fans can purchase tickets online at, or by calling 1-800-4SC-FANS. Cost for season tickets for women's soccer is $25 for adults and $10 for youth (17 and under).

    Barker's Goals Push Georgia Over Furman

    ATHENS, Ga. -- After a two-hour weather delay, the Georgia soccer team used two goals by senior forward Madeline Barker to defeat visiting Furman by a score of 2-0 Sunday afternoon at the UGA Soccer Stadium.

    The win was Georgia's third in a row and the team's third consecutive shutout effort behind senior keeper Caitlin Woody. It also moved fourth-year head coach Steve Holeman to 199 career victories in his 20 seasons, leaving him just one shy of the 200-win milestone. The Bulldogs improve to 3-1 on the season, with Furman falling to 1-2.

    “Once again we had a complete effort,” Holeman said. “We talked to the team after our win on Friday and told them that to be a great team, we need to be able to compete on Sundays. We beat a very good Furman team that was picked to win its conference. I think we did a good job of making them look not as good as they really are. Great job by Maddy Barker finishing those two goals, and great job by the defense limiting Furman to just six shots. This was a great effort.”

    Barker's first goal came in the 21st minute when she took a pass up from defender Torri Allen and beat her player on the wing, firing the shot far post and into the bottom left corner to give Georgia the 1-0 lead. It was the first of the season for the senior, who entered Sunday's game with an assist and nine shots on the season. Allen earned the assist on the score.

    Georgia had several more good chances in the first half, including with two minutes to play before intermission when redshirt sophomore Bella Hartley stripped a Furman defender of the ball and fired a long-range shot at keeper Maggie Grisell, but Grisell knocked it down and no Georgia players could catch up to the loose ball before it was handled. With just over a minute to go, Bria Washington screened her defender off the ball to set herself up for a shot, but Grisell was able to make a diving stop to keep it just 1-0 heading into the break with UGA leading 16-4 in shots.

    Just two minutes into the second frame, Barker blasted a corner kick into the box and the freshman Rachel Garcia got a head on it, but new keeper Rose Hull was able to make the stop.

    Barker would then add her second goal of the day to make it 2-0 in the 56th minute, stealing the ball and burying the strike into the top left corner to give the Bulldogs some insurance.

    Hull came up with two big saves late in the game to keep it at a two-goal deficit for the Paladins, first stopping a Lauren Tanner near-post shot before diving to stop an Andie Fontanetta shot with 12 minutes to play. Nearing the end of regulation, Barker had a final opportunity at a third goal when she fired one just wide with two left, but it would remain 2-0 with Georgia leading Furman 32-6 in shots as time expired on the team's third straight victory.

    Barker ended her career day – and first multiple-goal game – with eight shots to lead Georgia, while Madeline Crowder and Gabby Seiler had four apiece. Woody made all three saves she was faced with, while Grisell and Hull combined for 15 at the other end. The Bulldogs took nine corners on the afternoon, limiting the Paladins to just two.

    Georgia improves to 6-0-1 all-time vs. Furman.

    Georgia will go for win No. 4 in a row next Friday night vs. Jacksonville, as Holeman will try for his 200th career victory in front of the home crowd. The Bulldogs will then head to take on UNC Greensboro on the road on Sunday.

    Razorbacks Improve To 4-0 For First Time In Program History

    Springfield, Mo. – The University of Arkansas soccer team picked up its fourth win on the season with a 3-0 shutout victory over Missouri State. The Razorbacks (4-0) tallied one goal in the first half of the match and then followed with two more goals to hold off Missouri State (0-4) by a score of 3-0.

    “It was a complete team effort tonight, this team is relentless,” head coach Colby Hale said. “Their work rate is pretty remarkable. Missouri State is a fantastic defensive team but overall I thought we were able to create some chances. We have a lot to work on to reach our potential but I am pleased with where we are.”

    The Razorbacks waited till the 40th minute of the match before finding the scoreboard. Senior Yvonne DesJarlais found the back of the net from an assist off of freshman Rachel Riggs. Arkansas outshot Missouri State 14-2 in the first half as well as accumulated 8 corner kicks to only 2 for Missouri State.

    In the second half of play, senior Evan Palmer scored off of an assist from sophomore Ashleigh Ellenwood in the 58th minute, who collected her first point of the day with an assist. Ellenwood would also add to the scoreboard with her third goal of the season, off of an assist from Margaret Power.

    This is the first time in program history that the Razorback soccer team has started off the season with a 4-0 record. The Razorbacks combined for a total of 24 shots while holding Missouri State to just 3 shots in the first half.

    The Razorbacks return to action on Wednesday Sept. 4, when they play host to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. (CT), at Razorback Field.

    For more information on Arkansas Soccer, follow @RazorbackSoccer on Twitter.

    No. 8 Florida soccer posts 4-0 win at FIU

    GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Goals from four different players gave No. 8 Florida a 4-0 win at Florida International Sunday evening at the FIU Soccer Complex.

    Three scored their first goals of the season - with two posting the first of their Gator careers Sunday. Senior Caroline Triglia provided the only score of the opening half, putting in her right-footed shot in the 36th minute. Savannah Jordan put in a spinning shot in the 52nd minute to up the freshman's total to six goals through four matches. Then two headers off corner kicks in a five-minute span pushed the lead to 4-0. First Pamela Begic put in a score at 53:24 and then Meggie Dougherty Howard headed in a ball from almost the same spot at 58:21.


    * Junior Taylor Burke faced the Gators' first penalty kick of the season early in the second half and made the stop.

    * Florida's final three goals all came from freshmen. It was the first collegiate goals for Begic and Dougherty Howard.

    * Tonight's goal was the fifth for Triglia. She has scored at least one goal in each of her four seasons as a Gator.

    Tigers Post 3-0 Shutout Over UMKC

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Mizzou soccer team posted its second consecutive shutout as the program recorded a 3-0 win over UMKC Sunday evening in Kansas City. The Tigers improved to 3-1 with the victory, while the Kangaroos fell to 2-2.

    The Mizzou offense waited no time with a tally in the second minute off a set piece. Junior Taylor Grant sailed a corner kick into the box that UMKC's goalie could not clear. Freshman Melanie Donaldson headed the ball back into the upper right netting for her first career goal and a 1-0 Missouri advantage. Grant earned her second assist of the season on the play.

    Sophomore Candace Johnson nearly tacked a Tiger goal off a free kick in the 42nd minute. However, her header flew just wide of the goal.

    Missouri had another near miss on a corner kick 10 minutes into the second half. Freshman Lauren Selaiden headed Grant's kick to the front of the box, where Russell one-timed a two-yard shot right at the UMKC keeper. The Roos' goalie stopped the point-blank shot to thwart the scoring chance.

    The Tiger offense began to click in the second half. After pinpoint passing around UMKC's defensive end, junior Kaysie Clark fed Grant, who was stationed just outside the box. Grant unleashed a laser past the Roo goalie and into the upper left netting for her third goal of the year. Her eight points already tie her freshman season's career best total of eight just four games into 2013.

    Senior Alyssa Diggs notched her first tally of the season in the 82nd minute for a 3-0 Tiger advantage. Freshman Erin Webb sailed a free kick near the top of the box to Donaldson, who headed a pass into the right side of the box. Diggs ran onto the ball and uncorked a shot past UMKC's goalie and into the net. Webb tallied her second assist of the year on the play, while Donaldson recorded the first of her career. Mizzou had an 8-5 advantage in shots.

    Redshirt junior goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein recorded her 13th career shutout in win.

    The Tigers travel to College Station, Texas, next weekend to play in the Texas A&M Tournament. Mizzou faces Baylor on Friday, Sept. 6 at 4 p.m. and San Diego on Sunday, Sept. 8 at 11 a.m.

    Rebels Blank Saint Louis To Pick Up Road Win

    ST. LOUIS -- Mandy McCalla and Addie Forbus both notched goals on the night as Ole Miss (4-0) posted its second shutout of the weekend with a 2-0 win at Saint Louis on Sunday.

    The win was the third shutout of the season and second of the weekend for the Rebels. Ole Miss also defeated Northwestern State on Friday with a 5-0 victory.

    Through four games this season, the Rebels have scored 16 goals.

    “It was a very physical match again on a Sunday,” said Ole Miss head coach Matthew Mott. “Saint Louis really gave us everything we wanted in the first half. I think we started to take over more in the second half. Their goalkeeper played fantastic and had several excellent saves. I think they will do well.”

    Ole Miss got on the board in the 19th minute when McCalla took the ball on a back tap from Bethany Bunker in the box and put it in the net. The Rebels, which had possessed the ball on the Saint Louis side of the field for most of the early part of the half, passed the ball around in the box for several seconds looking for an opening before Bunker found McCalla with the opening to make it 1-0.

    Moments later, the Billikens returned with an attack and got off a solid shot that goalkeeper Kelly McCormick punched over the goal for the save. The ensuing corner kick came into the box and was delivered into the net, but the Saint Louis goal was waved off as a foul was called when a Billiken player pushed McCalla to the ground on the play in the box.

    The Rebels cleared the ball on the goal kick and pushed the ball back to the other end of the field, continuing to apply pressure to the Billiken defense for much of the rest of the half.

    McCalla, who went down on a hard challenge on a corner kick late in the first half, did not come back into the game as a precaution due to a shoulder injury.

    The two teams battled early in the second half, but the Rebels in an adjusted lineup turned the first stop into an attack and did not relent from there. Ole Miss possessed the ball and pressured the Billiken defense, outshooting Saint Louis 9-to-1 in the second half.

    The Rebels converted that pressure into a goal when freshmen connected in the 72nd minute of the match. Heather Lacy picked the ball from the SLU midfielder and attacked the Billiken goal. She dribbled into the box and dumped the ball off to a waiting Addie Forbus who drilled her second goal of the season to give the Rebels the 2-0 lead.

    Ole Miss kept the pressure on the rest of the way and turned away several attempts by the Billikens to get back in the match on the way to preserving the shutout win.

    The Rebels will continue to play on the road next weekend with a pair of matches at the Minnesota Gold Classic in Minneapolis, where Ole Miss will face Southern California and Minnesota.

    No. 19 Aggies Drop 3-1 Decision to Pepperdine

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- The No. 19 Texas A&M Aggies dropped a 3-1 decision to the Pepperdine Waves in non-conference soccer action Sunday afternoon at Ellis Field.

    Texas A&M held a 22-14 edge in shots for the game, including an 11-6 advantage in shots-on-goal, and owned a 9-1 margin in corner kicks, but were unable to capitalize in the loss. Pepperdine's goalkeeper Hannah Seabert made 10 saves on the afternoon and the Aggies settled on a fair amount of shots from outside of striking range.

    Lynn Williams led the Pepperdine attack with two goals and one assist while Kristen Rodriguez tallied a goal and an assist.

    The Aggies controlled the action in the first half, logging a 12-6 edge in shots and a 6-1 margin in corner kicks, but were unable to break the scoring seal as Seabert made six of her saves in the stanza.

    Pepperdine struck quickly coming out of the intermission, scoring two goals in the first four minutes of the second half.

    Rodriguez worked the ball into the penalty box from the left corner and served up a pass to Williams on the far side of the six-yard box. In an enviable position, Williams was able to send a shot to the left of Aggie goalkeeper Jordan Day into the back of the net for the 1-0 advantage with 43:01 remaining in the second half.

    The Waves struck again with 41:20 left in the second half. This time Ally Holtz slotted a thru ball down the center of the pitch from 30 yards out. Her pass found the feet of Williams who split the Aggie defense for a one-on-one situation with Day at the penalty spot and connected for her second goal of the game.

    Texas A&M cut the lead to 2-1 in the 55th minute as Kelley Monogue wrangled the ball from a Pepperdine defender and launched a shot from the arc of the penalty box to the right of Seabert for her second goal of the season.

    Monogue nearly tied the contest in the 62nd minute as she fired a rocket from 15 yards out, but it sailed inches north of the crossbar.

    The Waves added an insurance goal in the 71st minute as Williams skirted a pass, right-to-left, across the top of the six-yard box through the A&M defense to Kristen Rodriguez who shot to the left of Day for the 3-1 lead.

    Trailing by two goals, Liz Keester sent in two shots in the waning moments that sent Seabert to the deck for saves, but the Aggies were unable to narrow the gap.

    Texas A&M returns to action on Friday as the Aggies host the San Diego Toreros in an 8 pm contest at Ellis Field.

    Sullivan's Goal Not Enough As Bulldogs Fall 2-1 To Florida Gulf Coast

    FORT MYERS, Fla. – Senior Elisabeth Sullivan scored her fifth goal of the season and CJ Winship made seven saves, but a goal seconds before halftime and another in the final moments of regulation propelled host Florida Gulf Coast to a 2-1 win in the Embassy Suites Classic championship game Sunday afternoon in Fort Myers, Fla.

    Mississippi State (2-2) struck first for the third-straight match as Sullivan took freshman Annebel ten Broeke's pass, beat a defender and struck her 28th-career goal low past FGCU keeper Brittany Brown.

    Senior CJ Winship made four of her seven saves in the first half to keep MSU in front the majority of the opening half.

    Sullivan, ten Broeke and Winship were all named to the Embassy Suites Classic All-Tournament Team.

    “It was very hot out there today. Annebel and Elisabeth continue to show that they are a dangerous combination as they connected for another goal,” Aaron Gordon said. “Florida Gulf Coast created a lot of opportunities, but CJ Winship made some fantastic saves that kept us in the game.”

    Ten Broeke, an Amsterdam, Netherlands, native, collected the third assist of her young career. For Sullivan, it was her school-record sixth-straight game with a goal.

    Florida Gulf Coast (2-1-1) went back on the attack, but MSU managed to fight off their offensive chances. MSU countered with a pair of shots from sophomore Mary Kathryn Taylor, but both were stopped by FGCU goalie Brittany Brown.

    Winship and a Bulldog back line that was playing together for just the second time, made the lead hold until Florida Gulf Coast's Kaitlin Parker knocked in a rebound, her first goal of the season, to equalize with 40 seconds left before halftime.

    Mississippi State came out looking to break the tie early in the second half, but ten Broeke had a pair of early on-goal opportunities turned away by Brown, who ended the afternoon with six stops.

    Florida Gulf Coast had a chance to take the lead in the 60th minute on a Tessa Burger penalty kick, but Winship stopped it and a follow-up from Shannen Wacker.

    Mississippi State created a pair of scoring opportunities in the final 30 minutes, but a try from sophomore Halee Heltsley was saved by Brown and a shot from Sullivan moments later banged off the crossbar.

    “We sorted some things out at halftime and played much better in the second half. We played hard, but maybe the heat got to us at the end and we didn't clear a corner far enough out. I don't think CJ saw the ball in time, or else she probably makes the save,” Gordon said of the winning goal. “We fought to the very end. It was a slow start in the first half, but we played better in the second half and maybe deserved a better result. Unfortunately, we didn't play well enough to get the result.”

    FGCU netted the winner in the 86th minute when Paulina Speckmaier beat Winship top shelf with the winner.

    FGCU out-shot the Bulldogs 25-10, but the Eagles only held a 9-7 edge in on-goal chances. State earned five corner kicks in the contest to 10 from Florida Gulf Coast.

    Alabama Falls To Mercer, 2-1

    TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Mercer scored two first half goals and held off a valiant comeback effort by Alabama en route to a 2-1 win on Sunday night at the Alabama Soccer Complex.

    Mercer improves to 2-1-1 with the win, while the Crimson Tide falls to 1-2 on the young season.

    Mercer jumped out to an immediate lead, scoring in the fifth minute to take a 1-0 lead. The Bears added another goal at the 26:45 mark to stretch the lead to 2-0.

    Merel Van Dongen, who has accounted for the Tide’s three goals this season, scored on a header from a corner kick by freshman Mia Jahr at the 56:27 mark to cut the lead to 2-1. But Alabama could not complete the comeback in the end.

    UA outshot Mercer 21-7 for the game, including 8-3 in the second half alone, and had seven corner kicks to the Bears’ four.

    The Tide will return to action next weekend, when it competes in the Denver Invitational. Alabama will open the event on Friday vs. Colorado at 5:30 p.m. CT (4:30 p.m. MT) and will play the tournament-host Denver on Sunday at 2:15 p.m. CT (1:15 p.m. MT).

    Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaSoccer on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

    Vanderbilt falls to Rice, 3-2

    Nashville, Tenn. -- Rice scored three goals in the first half of play, which proved to be too much for the Commodores they fell by a score of 3-2, Sunday night. Vanderbilt slides to 1-2-1 on the year, while Rice picks up their first win of the 2013 campaign and sits at 1-1-1.

    Vanderbilt put pressure on the Rice goalie from the opening whistle, sending in nine shots in just the first 25 minutes of play. Simone Charley and Cheyna Williams each had chances in the early going but couldn't quite finish. They finished with five and six shots, respectively on the night.

    Down 3-0 early in the second half the Commodores flipped the switch. They closed out the final 40 minutes of play allowing only one shot and corner kick, while picking up nine and five, respectively of their own.

    The first Vanderbilt goal of the night came in the 72nd minute when Krystina Iordanou sent a missile into the box off a free kick. The shot appeared to trickle past the Rice keeper but all doubt was set aside when Claire Romaine came in and put the ball into the back of the net.

    The second and final goal for the Commodores also came off a free kick this time off the foot of Erin Myers. Myers played the ball into the box where Iordanou jumped up and headed it into the upper left corner of the net.

    Rice held off the Commodore attack in the early going before staging one of the their own. Lauren Hughes picked up her first of two goals on the night for Rice in the 33rd minute, converting off a corner kick. It was only a matter of 10 minutes before Hughes got on the board again, this time getting fed into the box by Holly Hargreaves.

    Freshman netminder Olivia Liebman had three saves on the night for the Commodores and took the loss.

    Vanderbilt will get back to action next weekend as they travel to Madison, Wis., for a Friday evening matchup with the Wisconsin Badgers and a Sunday afternoon game with Milwaukee.