SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 6 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 6

    Friday soccer RESULTS
    Kentucky 2, Louisville 0
    Georgia 1, Jacksonville 0
    Tennessee 2, Dayton 0
    Colorado 1, Alabama 0
    South Carolina 2, Clemson 1
    Mississippi State vs. SELA, cancelled
    Minnesota 2, LSU 1
    Auburn 2, Mercer 0
    Florida 3, Oklahoma 0
    Vanderbilt 4, Wisconsin 3
    Ole Miss 1, Southern Cal 1
    Baylor 2, Missouri 1
    Texas A&M 6, San Diego 1

    Wildcats Shutout Cards For Third-Straight Win

    LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s soccer team posted its third-straight win overall, and third-straight win over in-state rival Louisville, 2-0 on Friday night at the UK Soccer Complex behind goals from Stuart Pope in the 51st minute, and the insurance goal in the 85th minute on a penalty kick from Arin Gilliland.

    “It feels good,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “I was proud of them .They really responded at halftime. They made a very specific adjustment at halftime for what we wanted to do, and they did it. Louisville is a fantastic team. This game is going to make us a better team down the road. There is no doubt about that.”

    For the second year in a row, the Wildcats and Cardinals were scoreless at halftime, with each side recording five shots and UK goalkeeper Kayla King only called upon two times to make a save.

    The offense would pick up in the second half, as the Wildcats struck in the 51st minute when Pope beat the keeper to the far-upper post from atop the 18, giving Kentucky the 1-0 lead. The goal for Pope was her fourth in three games. The assist came from sophomore midfielder Courtney Raetzman, who played a great ball to Pope’s boot, who rifled it in the back of the net. The assist for Raetzman was her second in two games and second point on the young season.

    Gilliland would add the second goal in the 85th minute on a penalty kick, doubling the Wildcats’ lead. Gilliland got the ball from a wide back off a counter attack around the midfield stripe, and was in behind by the time she reached the top of the 18. She was pulled down in the box by a Louisville defender and earned the first Kentucky penalty kick of the year.

    Gilliland went top shelf and to the keeper’s right on the PK attempt, and laced the shot past a diving Paige Brown. Brown got a paw on it, and deflected it more to the right, but it was struck with too much pace, and Kentucky went up 2-0.

    King posted her second-straight clean sheet in the cage for Kentucky, stopping all 13 Louisville shots, and was called upon to make only five saves in the match. The senior captain and back-up keeper Ayanna Parker have only allowed one goal in the last 400 minutes on the pitch.

    Lipsitz improves to 4-1-0 all-time against the Cardinals, and has won three straight matches against the Cards.

    The UK Soccer Complex was rocking all 90 minutes with over 1,600 fans crowding the facility to see the Wildcats pick up their 12th win at home in the last two seasons. In the last 15 home matches, Kentucky is now 12-1-2, with wins over three different ranked opponents.
    The next home fixture for the Wildcats is on Sunday afternoon, as the Dayton Flyers make the visit to Lexington for a 2:30 p.m. ET match at the UK Soccer Complex. The Wildcats will be looking for their fourth-straight win, and second consecutive weekend sweep on Sunday afternoon.

    Seiler Nets Winner In Overtime

    ATHENS, Ga. --- The Georgia soccer team played nearly 100 minutes of scoreless soccer against Jacksonville before freshman Gabby Seiler picked the perfect time to score her first collegiate goal, firing home the game-winner into the top corner to lift the Bulldogs to the 1-0 overtime win over the Dolphins Friday night at the UGA Soccer Stadium.

    After a full 90 minutes plus all but 16 seconds of the first overtime period, Seiler did not miss on her shot at the upper 90 – with the assist credited to fellow freshman Marion Crowder, who fed Seiler from the sideline to set up the chance.

    “I knew I had been taking on their players and beating them, and I just needed one shot and to finish it,” Seiler said. “I didn’t even really look at the keeper – I just hit it, and I knew it was going it. I had been hitting the post, hitting other players in the goal in previous games, so this was what I wanted, and I knew it as soon as I hit it.”

    Tonight’s win handed fourth-year UGA head coach Steve Holeman the 200th of his 20-year career. The win was Georgia’s fourth in a row as the Bulldogs improve to 4-1 on the season, while it was also their fourth straight shutout. It marks the first time Georgia has shut out four straight opponents since Oct. 3-15, 2010. Goalkeeper Caitlin Woody registered four saves to pick up another blank sheet.

    Jacksonville falls to an even 2-2 on the season with the loss.

    “Credit this Jacksonville team – they are a fantastic team,” Holeman said. “They keep the ball well, they play a great system. I like the way they played within that. We obviously hoped to win that in regulation, but what a great way to win it. From our angle, we could see it bending left to right upper 90 and you knew it was going in. What a fantastic win for this team.”

    Georgia had a great chance just moments into the game as senior Madeline Barker fired a rocket of a shot just wide left. The Bulldogs had another good look with 15 minutes elapsed when Seiler’s flick on to Rachel Garcia saw the rookie’s shot saved by JU keeper Sarah Sierra.

    Georgia forward Bria Washington had her shot on a 1-v-1 opportunity just sail over the crossbar with three minutes to go before halftime, marking the Bulldogs’ last big scoring opportunity of the first frame, and the teams went into the break tied 0-0 despite Georgia’s 8-4 lead in the shot column through 45:00.

    Coming out of halftime, Garcia saw a ball hit off the outside of her foot and ricochet just wide at the near post after she took a pass from Crowder with four minutes gone by in the second frame. Garcia had another shot go off the crossbar with 38 on the clock, and with 26 minutes to go in regulation Crowder picked the ball out of the air and delivered a one-touch pass to Garcia, whose rocket in to the keeper Sierra was denied.

    Despite the Bulldogs finishing the first 90 minutes leading 23-7 in shots, the teams were still locked in the scoreless draw heading to overtime – Georgia’s first OT game of the season. The battle waged on, with the Bulldogs and Dolphins still unable to decide it as time wound down.

    But that’s when Seiler struck, taking the pass from Crowder and stepping past her defender, firing the open look at the upper 90 for the game winner with just 16 seconds to play to lift the Bulldogs to the victory.

    In all, Georgia led 26-7 in shots, with Garcia leading the way with seven. Seiler ended with five, including the one that mattered. Corners were even at four apiece.

    Georgia tonight improves to 3-0 all-time vs. Jacksonville, while the squad is now 25-0-4 vs. Atlantic Sun opponents.

    “I’m just glad I’ve been around this long doing what I love and coaching soccer,” Holeman said of his milestone. “I am excited to get another win for UGA and I appreciate everything the team did. It’s a special night for us.”

    The Bulldogs will now hit the road to take on UNC Greensboro on Sunday at 2 p.m.

    Two First-Half Goals Carry Tennessee Past Dayton, 2-0

    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. --Caroline Brown scored the match-winner in the 15th minute and Hannah Wilkinson had a goal and an assist as the Tennessee soccer team took a 2-0 win over Dayton on Friday at Regal Soccer Stadium.

    Tennessee improved to 4-1-0 on the season while Dayton fell to 2-3-0. UT enjoyed another outstanding night in goal from Julie Eckel (4-1-0), who tallied six saves and notched her second shutout of the season.

    Dayton's Elizabeth James (2-3-0) took the loss after allowing the two first-half scores and making three saves.

    Seventeen different Tennessee players saw action on Friday night. Junior back Allie Sirna played the full 90 minutes for the fifth time this season and junior Brittney Wade and sophomore Gabby Santorio also went wire to wire on the back line.

    Brown's match-winner was her second goal on the season and her first since scoring he winner in the opener against Oklahoma. She now has 13 match-winners in her career, which is just two shy of Kylee Rossi's program record of 15.

    Wilkinson scored for the third consecutive match, giving her four goals on the year. Her assist on Brown's goal was her second of the season and she leads UT with 10 points.

    Dayton out-shot Tennessee, 19-15, and enjoyed a 5-4 edge on corner kicks, but a UT-dominated first half was all the Volunteers needed to take and hold control of the match.

    Tori Bailey fired the first shot of the match in the fourth minute on a ball played into the middle of the box. James played the ball up and grabbed the ball right as it left Bailey's foot.

    Wilkinson had a breakaway in the ninth minute, broke past a Dayton defender and fired a shot past the far post after taking a wide angle in the box. Four minutes later, Brown had a breakaway but couldn't capitalize, missing wide on a low shot.

    Dayton's Ashley Campbell had a header go wide on a ball played in the box in the 14th minute. In the 15th minute, Santorio sent a ball forward for Wilkinson, who sprinted ahead of the defense and dribbled deep in to the box. Wilkinson found Brown on a short cross right in front for an easy score.

    The Flyers had good possession over the next eight minutes in an effort to respond from that early score. Juliana Libertin had a shot on goal in the 18th minute and in the 19th minute, Eckel made an outstanding diving save to her left on another shot by Libertin. Eckel turned away another Libertin shot in the 20th minute.

    In the 36th minute, Bailey played a ball forward to Wilkinson, who beat the keeper on a one-on-one to score on a low shot to the center of the goal.

    Dayton tried to apply more pressure later in the second half as Eckel made three saves from the 68th minute on, but the UT back line held.

    Tennessee next heads to Macon, Ga., to play Mercer on Sunday at 1 p.m. UT's next home match is on Sept. 15 against Western Kentucky. There will be a free coaches clinic on the field following the UT-WKU match.

    Alabama Soccer Team Falls In Overtime To Colorado, 1-0

    DENVER, Colo. – Alabama sophomore goalkeeper Emily Rusk had a night for the record books, but her efforts were not enough as the Crimson Tide fell to Colorado, 1-0, in overtime in the opening game of the Denver Invitational.

    Rusk, making her second career start, had 19 saves on the night, which were the second-most stops in a game in program history. Amy Pseja holds the record when she made 24 saves vs. Arkansas on Sept. 25, 1994.

    The Buffaloes, who are off to a school-record 5-0 start with tonight’s win, collected 39 shots in the game, compared to nine shots for the Crimson Tide.

    The game-winning goal came six minutes into the first overtime, at the 96:47 mark, by Brie Hooks off an assist from Madi Krauser.

    Alabama falls to 1-3 on the season, which now includes a pair of one-goal losses.

    The Crimson Tide will face tournament host and 20th-ranked Denver on Sunday afternoon at 2:15 p.m. CT (1:15 p.m. MT).

    Gamecocks Top Clemson 2-1 in Palmetto State Rivalry

    CLEMSON, S.C. – In a game that sprung to life halfway through the second half after physical play throughout, the South Carolina women’s soccer team walked out of Riggs Field with a 2-1 victory behind goals from freshman forward Daija Griffin and sophomore midfielder Raina Johnson.

    “It’s going to be a battle anytime you go up to Clemson. With the rivalry match you’re going to have a fight,” Head Coach Shelley Smith said. “It was a battle between two good teams and luckily we came out on top. I think in the second half we got the better of play once we settled down. We were able to win the 50-50 balls and once we did that we opened things up and gave ourselves more chances.”

    Right out of the gates, it proved to be a very physical game. The eighth minute saw Gamecock redshirt junior defender Taylor Leach get tangled up with Clemson forward Paige Reckert in front of the Tiger bench that led to both players receiving yellow cards.

    The physical play continued throughout the half as the teams left for the locker rooms at the half with 15 total fouls. In all, the teams combined for the 26 fouls, 13 apiece.

    After a dangerous cross on in free kick from Christa Neary in the 60th minute, the junior defender whipped a cross in again from 25 yards out that led to the game’s opening goal. The cross led to a shot by sophomore midfielder Stevi Parker which was saved by Clemson keeper Kailen Sheridan. Leach got onto the rebound and put a shot on from the top of the six that was saved by a Tiger defender before Griffin punched home the loose ball.

    Just over five minutes later Johnson doubled the lead by tallying her second goal of the season as fellow sophomore Caroline Gray sent a deep left to right cross into the box that was flicked on to Johnson by senior forward Danielle Au. Johnson went low across the face of the goal with the shot and found the inside of the far post.

    The Tigers nearly cut into the lead in the 80th minute, but junior defender Andie Romness threw herself in front a close-range shot from midfielder Allie Kington.

    Forward Tabitha Padgett though struck a minute later to cut South Carolina’s lead in half. After Kington’s shot from inside the box was blocked, Padgett scored on the rebound to end South Carolina’s 460-minute shutout streak.

    With under three minutes remaining, Padgett beat her defender and went one-on-one with Gamecock keeper Sabrina D’Angelo. The junior darted out of the six-yard box and made a sliding stop on the Tiger attacker to preserve the win.

    South Carolina went on to hold a 5-4 edge in shots on goal as D’Angelo came up with a pair of saves. Redshirt senior Christine Watts also came up with a key save in the first half as she stopped a certain goal off a header from Tiger defender Claire Wagner.

    The Gamecocks return to Stone Stadium on Sunday as they host SMU at 1 p.m.

    Inclement Weather Cancels Bulldogs’ Soccer Contest At SELA

    HAMMOND, La. – Mississippi State and Southeastern Louisiana played 15 scoreless minutes before heavy rains and lightning in Hammond forced the cancellation of the match at the SELA Soccer Complex.

    Both teams each fought off a scoring chance before lightning in the area sent the teams off the pitch. The match was called off after another round of storms entered Hammond an hour into the delay.

    Aaron Gordon’s squad returns to action Sunday, traveling to Hattiesburg for an in-state showdown against Southern Miss at 1 p.m.

    LSU Soccer Falls to Unbeaten Minnesota, 2-1

    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – A game-tying goal by junior striker Jodi Calloway in the 31st minute of play was not enough for the visitors as the LSU Soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision to the unbeaten Minnesota Golden Gophers in Friday’s nightcap to kick off the Minnesota Gold Classic being held this weekend at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium.

    It marked the inaugural meeting between the two sides on the soccer pitch as the Tigers dropped their second-straight match to fall to 2-2-1 and the Golden Gophers improved to a 5-0 on the season.

    The Tigers nearly struck first blood a mere 90 seconds into the match when Calloway played freshman forward Summer Clarke in behind the Minnesota defense with a through ball. Clarke ran free on a breakaway, but Golden Gopher goalkeeper Tarah Hobbs denied the Tiger rookie her third goal of the season with a two-handed save on a 10-yard strike.

    Sophomore striker Haley Helverson broke the ice for the Golden Gophers in the 16th minute of play after slipping past the LSU defense on a through ball by freshman midfielder Simone Kolander and finishing from just outside the six-yard box inside the right post. Helverson opened her account with her first goal of the season at the 15:48 mark of the first half.

    The Tigers struck back in the 31st minute when Calloway netted her second goal of the season as the Gophers found themselves exposed in the left side of defense.

    After receiving a pass from senior defender Addie Eggleston down the left flank, junior defender Alex Arlitt split the Minnesota defense with a run to the end line and centered to Calloway standing alone at the top of the six-yard box. Calloway’s one-timer drew the Tigers level at the 30:57 mark as the teams played to a 1-1 draw at the break.

    With both teams looking to break the deadlock midway through the second half, senior midfielder Alex Ramsey came within inches of giving the Tigers the advantage in the 68th minute while rifling a 25-yard strike over Hobbs’ outstretched arms and off the crossbar. Sophomore midfielder Fernanda Pina was in position for the rebound, but her header from outside the six-yard box was denied by Hobbs.

    The Golden Gophers then turned up the pressure on the other end, sparked by a Helverson free kick in the 79th minute that was taken from 20 yards directly in front of the LSU goal. Helverson’s effort was denied by a diving Megan Kinneman in goal for the Tigers and deflected off the right post to preserve the deadlock.

    But Minnesota only had to wait another two minutes to take the lead for good when freshman Ashley Pafko scored her first career goal in the 81st minute when burying a loose ball from about eight yards out.

    While Minnesota held a 14-9 advantage in the final shot count in the match, both teams attempted five shots on goal and two corner kicks during 90 minutes of action on Friday night.

    The Tigers will wrap up this year’s Minnesota Gold Classic on Sunday morning when they face 13th-ranked Southern California in the first of two matches on the day that is set to kick off at 11 a.m. CT. Like Friday’s event with Minnesota, Sunday’s match marks the inaugural meeting between the Tigers and Trojans. USC played Ole Miss to a 1-1 draw in the first match of the Minnesota Gold Classic on Friday afternoon.

    Auburn Soccer Shuts Out Mercer, 2-0

    AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn women’s soccer team (1-2-1) defeated the Mercer Bears, 2-0, on Friday night at the Auburn Soccer Complex, giving the team its first win of the 2013 season. Redshirt freshman Alyse Scott earned her first career victory in goal as the Marietta, Ga., native faced six shots, making two saves.

    “This is a quality win,” said Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa. “Mercer is a very good squad and they came out and gave a lot of effort. They got a big win over Alabama last week, so we knew they were very dangerous, but this is just what the doctor ordered for us.”

    The two teams played to a scoreless first half with Auburn putting four shots on frame. Auburn controlled possession for much of the half, but was not able to find the net.

    “I thought we had a great first half, but we were disappointed we did not get a goal,” said Hoppa. “Unlike last week at Samford, I thought we came back out with a lot of composure and energy, and picked it up in the second half.”

    Auburn junior Tori Ball gave the Tigers their first goal of the game after receiving a pass from freshman Casie Ramsier inside the 18-yard box. Ball’s goal was her first of the season and 11th of her career. For Ramsier, it was her second assist on the season.

    With 15 minutes remaining in the match, the Tigers doubled its lead after Sophie Simantel headed in a rebound off the post. Freshman Haley Gerken sent in the corner which was met by Kala Faulkner’s head, but hit the crossbar. Simantel headed in the rebounded to score her first goal of her career.

    The Tigers put 18 shots on goal, a season-high, and held Mercer to six shots. Scott earned her first career shutout with two saves while Mercer’s Maggie Cropp took the loss, picking up seven saves along the way.

    Samantha Solaru led the Tigers with five shots while Ball and Brooke Ramsier tallied three each.

    Auburn will take Saturday off before returning to the field at 2 p.m. CT, Sunday against in-state rival Troy at the Auburn Soccer Complex. Admission is free.

    No. 10 Florida soccer defeats Oklahoma 3-0 Friday

    Goals from a trio of players gave No. 10 Florida a 3-0 win over Oklahoma Friday evening at the James G. Pressly Stadium. Weather delayed the start of Friday’s match one hour.

    When play did begin, the Gators scored quickly. Sophomore Pamela Begić headed in Florida’s first goal at 8:55, marking her second consecutive match with a goal. The next two goals were the first of their Gator careers for sophomore Lauren Smith and freshman Brooke Sharp. Smith picked up the ball just above the box after a Sooner deflection off Lindsey Cooper’s cross. She took three touches and then hit a left-footed diagonal ball to the far post at 59:05. Florida’s third goal started when freshman Savannah Jordan danced along the end line to bring the ball toward the Sooners’ goal. Three OU players tried to clear the ball, but the final touch put the ball just above the six-yard box. Sharp took a step and then used her left foot to place the ball in the far post netting.

    Vanderbilt Stuns No. 23 Wisconsin, 4-3

    MADISON, Wisc. - The Vanderbilt women's soccer team upset the 23rd-ranked Wisconsin Badgers in front of 700-plus Friday night at the McClimon Complex, by a score of 4-3. Cheyna Williams scored the game-winner for the Commodores in the 67th minute to seal the game, and hand the Badgers their first loss of the season. This was the Commodores' first win against a ranked opponent since October 7, 2011.

    "This was a really great college soccer game," said VU head coach Derek Greene. "Wisconsin is a tremendous team and they play great in their system. I have to give the whole team credit, this was a gutsy win for us to beat a ranked opponent on the road. Looking at the scouting report we knew we could expose their back line, so we weren't afraid to play the ball direct. As a result we scored three goals off breakaways. "

    Vanderbilt (2-2-1) got on the board first early in the first half when Jamie Kator converted on the penalty kick in the fourth minute of action. The Badgers (3-1-1) were able to pick up the equalizer in the 14th minute when McKenna Meuer scored from the six yard box off the corner kick.

    The Commodores would retake the lead in the 21st minute when Kator sent a through ball to Williams 15 yards out. She picked up her first goal of the game on a slick finish past the keeper.

    The Badgers knotted the game up, just before the half, at two when Kinley McNicoll sent the ball high to the near post from 25 yards out.

    Wisconsin scored their third of the game six minutes out of the half on a Marisa Kresge goal.

    "Rose Lavelle was giving us a lot of problems in the first 50 minutes," Greene said. "She has such great speed that she was getting too much space and creating a lot of good chances for them. We decided to man mark her with Grace Stumb and Kendra Hendrix, and give those two a ton of credit, they shut her down."

    Two straight goals from Simone Charley (assisted by Andie Lakin) in the 65th minute and Williams (unassisted) in the 67th minute were enough as Vanderbilt held on for the final 13 minutes, allowing only one shot, to pick up the win.

    "Cheyna was phenomenal tonight," said Greene. "She was such a handful for the Wisconsin defense and she created so many opportunities for us."

    The Vanderbilt defense fought of 28 shots en route to the win. Freshman goalie Oliva Liebman saved five shots, and picked up her second win of the season.

    "Our back line was fantastic tonight. Though the stat sheet shows a ton of shots, most of those were from 25-30 yards out," Greene said. "We did a really good job giving their leading scorer Cara Wells trouble and ultimately not giving them many good looks."

    Vanderbilt will be back in action on Sunday, once again from the McClimon Complex, when they take on Milwaukee at noon.

    Rebels Play No. 13 Southern Cal To 1-1 Draw

    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - Rafaelle Souza scored the only goal of the match, but a big defensive performance by the Rebels saw the squad remain undefeated as Ole Miss (4-0-1) and No. 13 Southern California (3-0-1) played to a 1-1 draw Friday night.

    Souza delivered her goal off a pass from Mandy McCalla in a quick answer to the Trojan goal as both teams scored within three minutes of each other on an afternoon that saw solid play by both keepers. Ole Miss' Kelly McCormick posted six saves on the afternoon, while the USC keeper posted three saves.

    "Our team really battled today and gutted it out," said Ole Miss head coach Matt Mott. "Our effort and intensity level was awesome. It was a high-level competition with two very talented teams going at each other. We played so hard, especially with our back line and defense of Kelly (McCormick) in goal."

    "We came out in the second half committed to playing better than we did in the first," Mott said. "We came out determined that we would not lose this match. We came out flying around and carried that through the overtime. We were going to find a way to win this match if we could today."

    It was a defensive first half with both teams pushing back and forth looking for a weakness. Neither team was able to capitalize on opportunities, however, as the teams went into halftime with no score.

    The second half saw an aggressive Rebel team out of the gates, pressing advantages offensively as Ole Miss sought to get on the board. Ole Miss got one of its best shots in the early stages of the second half when Rafaelle Souza took a shot from the near corner of the box that was stopped by a diving keeper for USC.

    The Trojans then turned the stop into an attack, converting on a goal in the 57th mark to break the stalemate. Kayla Mills notched the goal from the far side, taking the pass from Jamie Fink to set up the score.

    The Rebels responded almost immediately, taking the ball down the field and answering with a goal in the 65th minute from Souza. The senior took the ball on the far side of the box and made a move on the defender after receiving the ball from McCalla, beating the Trojan with a fake before drilling the shot into the far side of the net to tie the match at one.

    The two teams battled from there, trading body blows but neither getting the knockout punch down the stretch. Ole Miss had a chance with 10 seconds remaining, sending a free kick into the box and getting a flurry of shots off, but the Trojans deflected each one to send the game into overtime.

    The defensive struggle continued through the first overtime period with both defenses coming up with big stops on limited opportunities to keep the score knotted after the 10-minute frame.

    The second overtime period was more of the same with neither team able to capitalize on limited chances on the way to the draw.

    The Rebels will return to action on Sunday afternoon when Ole Miss faces off against host Minnesota at 1 p.m.

    Mizzou Soccer Falls to No. 9 Baylor, 2-1

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Despite a 16-9 edge in shots, the Mizzou soccer team suffered a 2-1 loss to No. 9 Baylor in the Texas A&M Invitational Friday afternoon in College Station, Texas. The Tigers fell to 3-2 on the season, while the Bears improved to 5-0.

    After the two teams traded scoring chances early on, the Bears managed to break through to go up 1-0 in the 28th minute. Redshirt junior keeper McKenzie Sauerwein made a diving save to give Baylor a corner kick. On the ensuing play, Bri Campos lofted a kick into the box that Kat Ludlow placed in the upper right corner of the goal and out of the reach of Sauerwein.

    In the 53rd minute, the Tiger defense held to keep it a 1-0 game. The Bears gathered the loose ball while Sauerwein was on the ground. Sophomore Candace Johnson stepped up and blocked a shot in front of the open goal.

    Two minutes later, senior Dominique Richardson just missed getting the Tigers on the scoreboard. Junior Taylor Grant lofted a corner to the top of the box. Freshman Melanie Donaldson flicked the ball toward net, where Richardson unleashed a 15-yard shot that flew just left of the goal.

    The Bears countered immediately as Baylor's Natalie Huggins dribbled down the left side of the field and sent a shot to the far post. The ball went past the outstretched arms of Sauerwein and into the net for a 2-0 Bears advantage.

    Baylor's keeper made a great save on another Mizzou scoring chance. Junior Kaysie Clark played the ball into the box to Richardson, who passed to senior Alyssa Diggs in the left side of the box. Diggs unleashed a shot on net but the Bear goalie punched the shot away.
    Junior Kaysie cut Mizzou's deficit in half, 2-1, with a tally in the 79th minute. The midfielder received a pass from Richardson and sent a laser to the lower left corner and into the back of the net. The goal was the third of the season for Clark, while Richardson picked up her first assist of the year.

    Mizzou continued to press offensively but Baylor's defense held. Sauerwein made a season high six saves in goal for Missouri.

    The Tigers continue play at the Texas A&M Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 8 with an 11 a.m. contest against San Diego.

    A&M Topples San Diego, 6-1

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Kelley Monogue’s two goals sparked a five-goal, second-half explosion by the No. 24 Texas A&M Aggies as they gored the San Diego Toreros, 6-1, at Ellis Field on Friday evening.

    The six goals are the most for the Aggies since a 6-1 win over Drake at Ellis Field on October 14, 2011. Monogue also scored two goals in that victory. The five second-half goals was the most in a half for the Aggies since tallying eight in the second half of a 13-1 win over Fordham at Ellis Field on September 18, 2011.

    The score was tied 1-1 in the 63rd minute when Annie Kunz worked the ball up the right touchline and sent a pass to Bianca Brinson outside of the penalty box on the end line. Brinson knocked a cross to Monogue who unleashed a shot from four yards right of the penalty spot into the left side netting to start a roll that would find A&M scoring five goals in the final 28 minutes of action.

    In the 73rd minute, Leigh Edwards lobbed a pass into the penalty box from 30 yards out. Her offering found Monogue eight yards out and the junior toed a shot over goalkeeper Michelle Craft, who made a lunge for the ball after wandering off her line. It was fourth goal of the season for Monogue, all in the last three games. With the two goals, Monogue passed Yvette Okler (1993-96) for eighth place on A&M’s career goals list with 33.

    Texas A&M (3-2-0) struck again 79 seconds later when Edwards boomed a shot in from 25 yards out that fit between the cross bar and a leaping Craft to give the Maroon and White a 4-1 margin.

    Janae Cousineau scored her first career goal with 4:48 remaining in the contest. Liz Keester ripped a shot from just outside the penalty box to the left of the arc that found the right post, but Cousineau pounced on the carom, unmarked inside the six-yard box, and found the back of the net with ease for the 5-1 lead.

    The parade of goals concluded with 46 seconds remaining in the second half as Karlie Mueller charged into the penalty box and dumped a pass to Keester at the penalty spot. Keester sent a shot to the right of a diving goalkeeper for the 6-1 advantage.

    Texas A&M drew first blood in the 31st minute. Mueller sent a free kick in from 40 yards out finding Kunz in the arc. Kunz launched a missile from 20 yards to the right of the netminder as A&M staked claim to a 1-0 lead.

    With the Aggies leading 1-0 at the intermission, San Diego answered quickly in the second half, scoring 23 seconds in. Mariah Butera sent a through ball to Emily Dillon who rumbled through the A&M defense to the right corner of the six-yard box and beat Jordan Day to the left to knot the game at 1-1.

    The Toreros thought they had a go-ahead goal in the 60th minute, but they were flagged for being offside and three minutes later A&M started its cavalcade of goals.

    Jordan Day went the distance in goal for the Aggies and picked up her 35th career victory to tie Kelly Dyer (2007-10) for fifth place on A&M’s all-time goal wins list.

    Despite not registering the shutout, Day had a terrific game between the pipes with three key saves for the Aggies. With 10 seconds left in the first, Day got a boot and then a glove on a shot from Dillon eight yards out to keep the Aggies in the lead going to the intermission. With A&M in front, 2-1 in the 69th minute, Butera ripped a shot from the left corner of the penalty box that Day was able to save, but not control. Taylor Housley came in to clean up the mess ripping a shot from six yards out, but Day collected it between the wickets to keep the Aggies in the lead.

    Texas A&M owned a 24-11 advantage in shots, including a 16-6 edge in shots-on-goal.

    Monogue led the Aggies with four points on two goals. Edwards, Keester and Kunz each had three points with one goal and one assist. Cousineau had two points with a goal and Mueller notched two points with two assists.

    Texas A&M returns to action on Sunday to play the No. 9 Baylor Bears in an 8 p.m. contest at Ellis Field. Baylor beat the Missouri Tigers, 2-1, on Friday afternoon. San Diego and Missouri play in an 11 a.m. game on Sunday.