SEC Soccer Recap: Sunday, September 8 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Recap: Sunday, September 8

    LSU 1, Southern California 0
    Tennessee 2, Mercer 0
    Georgia 1, UNC Greensboro 0
    South Carolina 2, SMU 1
    Florida 2, Oklahoma State 0
    Kentucky 3, Dayton 1
    Auburn 3, Troy 0
    Arkansas 2, Nebraska 1
    Vanderbilt 4, Milwaukee 4 (2OT)
    Texas A&M 0, Baylor 0 (2OT)
    San Diego 2, Missouri 1
    Southern Miss 3, Mississippi St. 0
    Minnesota 2, Ole Miss 1
    Denver 2, Alabama 0



    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Senior goalkeeper Megan Kinneman turned in one of the performances of her career while making seven saves in goal and burying the deciding penalty kick in the 65th minute of play as the LSU Soccer team knocked off previously unbeaten and 13th-ranked Southern California by a score of 1-0 on Sunday afternoon.

    The Tigers (3-2-1) snapped a two-game losing skid with their first signature win of the 2013 season while wrapping up the Minnesota Gold Classic at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium.

    It marked the inaugural meeting between the Tigers and Trojans (3-1-1) on the pitch as LSU handed USC its first defeat of the season while earning its seventh win over a ranked opponent in program history. LSU took home its first victory over a nationally-ranked opponent since claiming a 3-1 road win at 16th-ranked Missouri on Oct. 21 of last season.

    The Tigers boast an impressive record of success against nationally-ranked opponents in their nine seasons under Brian Lee as they now own seven wins and nine draws against Top 25 teams in his tenure.

    “It's a big win for our team, but it really came from a great effort collectively to fight for 90 minutes and work for a result,” Lee said following the match. “It was a key for us to stay composed and organized defensively, but I also thought we created some chances for ourselves to give us a chance to win. The PK came directly from the kind of attack we like to create going forward. But certainly it's a big win for our program.”

    Kinneman made her presence felt early an often while directing a valiant defensive effort by the Tigers throughout the 90 minutes of Sunday's contest.

    The Trojans threatened to take the lead midway through the first half, but Kinneman denied the Trojans with a series of three saves on strikes by midfielder Haley Boysen in the 22nd minute, midfielder Jordan Marada in the 24th minute and striker Katie Johnson in the 25th minute of play. Johnson had perhaps the best opportunity to put the Trojans on the scoreboard when she flicked a header on frame from inside the six-yard area, but Kinneman's reaction save preserved the draw as the clock ticked down in the opening frame.

    The tide turned in favor of the Tigers in the 28th minute when Marada was sent off on a foul away from the ball as Kinneman was preparing to deliver a goal kick. That infraction gave the Tigers an advantage, and forced the Trojans to play with 10 players on the field for the remaining 62 minutes of the match following the red card.

    Kinneman made five saves on eight shots by the Trojans in the first half as the score remained level at 0-0 after the first 45 minutes of action.

    The Tigers turned up the pressure to start the second half while creating their best scoring opportunity in the run of play in the 50th minute on a combination play between freshmen Emma Fletcher and Summer Clarke in attack. Fletcher played Clarke in behind the USC back line, but Clarke's breakaway shot was forced wide of the right post as Trojan goalkeeper Caroline Stanley did not hesitate in coming off her line to defend.

    But the deadlock would only last another 15 minutes as the Tigers were awarded a penalty kick in the 65th minute when senior defender Addie Eggleston was taken down in the right side of the box by Stanley. After an outstanding service was played by Fletcher over the top of the USC defense, Eggleston beat Stanley to the ball and was fouled as the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

    Kinneman trotted out from her own goal to take the penalty and buried the 12-yard strike past Stanley for her third career goal to give the Tigers a narrow 1-0 lead at the 64:03 mark of the second half.

    Kinneman also scored two penalty kicks for the Tigers during her junior season a year ago, including a 2-1 double overtime defeat to 18th-ranked Kentucky on Sept. 23 and the game-winning Golden Goal in a 3-2 victory in overtime at Ole Miss on Oct. 19 of the 2012 season. She continues to add to her tally with three goals as the top scoring goalkeeper in the program's history.

    “I always come into a game with a plan and know which way I'm going to shoot in case I get that chance,” Kinneman said of her approach to the penalty kick. “Their keeper was jumping around and trying to distract me, but that doesn't really affect me when I'm standing at the spot. I've been on the other side of that myself.”

    The Trojans only played three defenders at the back over the final 20 minutes of the contest as they pressed for the equalizer to force overtime in the first of two Sunday matches at the Minnesota Gold Classic.

    LSU's defense stood tall and kept the Trojans off the scoreboard to preserve the 1-0 victory. Leading their efforts in the final moments were Eggleston, junior Alex Arlitt, sophomore Tori Sample and freshman Rebecca Pongetti on the back line; Fletcher, senior Alex Ramsey, junior Jodi Calloway and sophomores Gracie Campbell and Heather Magee in the midfield and Clarke patrolling the front line.

    Kinneman talked about LSU's defensive effort down the stretch that proved crucial in the team earning its first signature victory of the 2013 season.

    “At the end of the game, you always know a team is going to press when they're down,” Kinneman said. “I thought we stayed very composed and very disciplined back there to defend what they were throwing at us. I'm very proud of how we fought today to get the win. Continuing to do that is what is important for us now going forward. We couldn't be any more proud with how we bounced back from Friday's game.”

    The Tigers will wrap up their non-conference season next weekend with a road trip through the state of Texas as they head to Nacogdoches on Friday to face Stephen F. Austin at 7 p.m. CT before then making the trip to Houston on Sunday, Sept. 15, to battle Rice at 1 p.m. They will then open up the Southeastern Conference season with a trip to Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday, Sept. 21, as they battle the Vanderbilt Commodores in a final match of a five-game road swing entering the league slate.


    MACON, Ga. -- Tori Bailey scored in the 23rd minute, Hannah Wilkinson scored on a penalty kick in the 89th minute and the Tennessee defense stood its ground as UT took a 2-0 win at Mercer on Sunday.

    Tennessee improved to 5-1-0 on the year while Mercer fell to 2-3-1. Julie Eckel (5-1-0) and the UT defense posted their third consecutive shutout, surviving 19 shots and seven corner kicks by the Bears.

    Mercer had the possession advantage early as the Bears outshot Tennessee, 5-1, through the first 14 minutes.

    In the 22nd minute, Wilkinson worked the far side of the box and sent a pass out to Bailey. Bailey dribbled the ball about three yards out from the top of the box and fired a terrific shot to the center of the net past diving Mercer keeper Maggie Cropp. The score was Bailey's second on the year and her first since scoring against Oklahoma on Aug. 23. Bailey now has six goals in her Tennessee career.

    Wilkinson had a shot turned away by Cropp in the 25 minute just before a UT line change. Eckel had two big saves in the final 13 minutes of the first half, stopping Stephanie Giangiuli's shot in the 33rd minute and Maddie Clark's attempt in the 43rd minute.

    In the second half, Tennessee saw strong play from several bench players, especially Suzanne Capocaccia, who played the final 45 minutes and finished with 59 minutes of strong defensive possessions. Freshman Cali Hutson played 38 strong minutes and even had a chance at a cross deep in the Mercer box midway through the second half.

    In the 89th minute, Wilkinson had a breakaway and Cropp collided with her in the box and earned a yellow card. On the ensuing penalty kick, Wilkinson put the ball in the upper right hand of the net to give UT the 2-0 advantage. The score was her fifth on the season and the 13th of her career.

    Tennessee next plays at Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 13. UT returns to Regal Soccer Stadium Sept. 15 for a 1 p.m. match against Western Kentucky. Admission to all 2013 Tennessee regular-season home matches is free. The Tennessee soccer program will host a free youth soccer clinic on the field following the UT-WKU match on Sept. 15.

    Bulldogs Top UNCG For Fifth Straight Win

    GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Georgia soccer team came away with a 1-0 win over UNC Greensboro on the road on a hot Sunday afternoon at the UNCG Soccer Stadium, getting the game-winner from senior Madeline Barker in the second half to hand the Bulldogs their fifth straight victory and fifth straight shutout.

    The Bulldogs pick up the weekend sweep with Sunday’s win as well as Friday night’s overtime victory over Jacksonville at home to improve to 5-1 on the season, while UNCG falls to 4-2. It was the second game-winning goal of the season for Barker, whose three goals and seven points lead the team.

    “It was a grind,” said head coach Steve Holeman. “I’ll tell you what, this is a big, big win for us on the road on a Sunday afternoon in the heat against a very well organized UNCG team. They did a fantastic job of limiting our quality chances, and for us to come out of here with a win is just fantastic.”

    The Bulldogs had their looks in the first half but the teams played to a scoreless opening 45:00 with Georgia outshooting the Spartans 12-2.

    Coming out of halftime, freshman Rachel Garcia had a shot go wide, and classmate Marion Crowder had one of her own saved just moments later. The Bulldogs continued to pressure UNCG in search of the go-ahead goal as the second half waged on, and in the 58th minute it happened when Barker collected a loose ball inside and fired bottom left corner past the keeper on Georgia’s 17th shot of the afternoon.

    The Bulldogs nearly had their second goal of the day when sophomore Bria Washington placed a perfect Caroline Waters cross just barely wide on the header, and with 11:30 to play in regulation freshman Kelsey Nix had her own header saved off a Georgia free kick. UNCG finished with only five shots on the afternoon to Georgia’s 26 as the Bulldogs hung on to bring the 1-0 victory back to Athens.

    Georgia has now posted five shutouts in a row for the first time since 1999, while the current five-game winning streak is the Bulldogs’ longest since 2011. Georgia is off to its best start to a season since the 2009 squad began 7-0-1. Including today’s shutout, the Bulldogs have now kept opponents off the board for just under 485 minutes.

    Today pushed Georgia to 3-1 all-time vs. UNCG with three straight victories in the series.

    Georgia returns home for two next weekend, hosting Long Beach State on Fri., Sept. 13 and the College of Charleston on Sun., Sept. 15. Both will include live video coverage on

    Gamecocks Blank SMU 2-0

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- In dominating fashion, South Carolina (5-0-1) defeated SMU (3-3-0) 2-0 this afternoon at Stone Stadium. The Gamecocks controlled the match from start to finish, peppering the Mustang goal to the tune of 20 shots.

    “I’m very pleased with the performance,” Head Coach Shelley Smith said. “We talked about not coming out flat. It was an emotional, physically tough game Friday night. It was a great win and that’s a dangerous thing coming into a Sunday game. You know you’re going to be tired so you need to come out strong because every game matters. I’m proud of the players the way that they turned around, came back and took care of business at home. We had contributions from a lot of different players and that really helped us get through a tiring game.”

    The Gamecocks dictated the first half on the offensive end which saw them hold a 10-4 shot advantage going into the break, but without a goal, the Garnet and Black had to amp up their pressure right from the get go in the final 45 minutes.

    After nearly scoring on a diving header in the second minute of the game, sophomore midfielder Bay Daniel recorded her first career goal in the 51st minute to give the Gamecocks a 1-0 lead. Senior midfielder Elizabeth Sinclair dropped back into the center of South Carolina’s backline and sent a long ball up the left flank to surging left back Caroline Gray who hit a quick cross to Daniel who was sitting on the far post for an easy finish into the back of the net.

    The 64th minute saw a miscue from the Mustang defense that senior striker Danielle Au nearly made them pay for. A slow rolling pass back to SMU’s Shannon Maroney led the keeper to get caught in a bad position after not coming out to get ball. Au took off after the loose ball and got a touch on it before an SMU defender was able to track back and knock the ball out across the end line.

    Things got dicey less than two minutes later as SMU midfielder Rikki Clark was taken down inside the penalty box while trying to get to the end line. The sophomore stepped up and went left with the attempt, but junior keeper Sabrina D’Angelo kept the shutout alive with a diving stop to knock it away. Redshirt junior striker Shelby Redman came in and took a crack at the rebound, but the attempt was again knocked away again by the Gamecocks standout keeper.

    Minutes later, Au nearly found the top left corner on a free kick from 25 yards out after a Mustang foul, but the attempt sailed just high. Less than a minute later, great one-touch play in the Mustang box from freshmen Daija Griffin and Sophie Groff nearly led to another goal, but Maroney was able to smother Griffin’s point blank attempt.

    In the 80th minute, the Gamecocks got the insurance goal they were looking for, as freshman forward Vanessa Kovar was sitting with the ball at the top of the box and slotted a through ball to the right side of the goal to Daniel who hit a one-touch pass to the far post to midfielder Raina Johnson. The sophomore tapped in the ball past the Mustang keeper for her team-leading third goal of the season and third-straight game with a goal.

    South Carolina held SMU at bay for the remainder of the game and held a decisive 20-9 shot advantage to end the day with Au leading the team with five shots, while Daniel and junior defender Christa Neary chipped in three apiece. Aside from D’Angelo’s back-to-back stops to help preserve her fifth shutout this season and 12th of her career, she finished the afternoon with four total stops, including one on an open header from Redman in the 19th minute.

    The Gamecocks continue their homestand Thursday as they host South Florida at 7 p.m., at Stone Stadium.

    Season tickets for women's soccer, which includes admission to all home games, are currently on sale in the Gamecock Ticket Office. Fans can purchase tickets online at, or by calling 1-800-4SC-FANS. Cost for season tickets for women's soccer is $25 for adults and $10 for youth (17 and under).

    Havana Solaun scores twice as No. 10 Florida soccer defeats Oklahoma State 2-0

    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A goal in each half by junior Havana Solaun gave the No. 10 Florida soccer team a 2-0 win over Oklahoma State Sunday afternoon at the James G. Pressly Stadium. It was the third double-goal match for Solaun during her Gator career.

    Both of Solaun's goals came around 11 minutes of play for each half. Her first goal started from about 12 feet above the OSU box. Freshman Pamela Begic sent a ball left to junior Annie Speese who was making a run down the left side of the box. Speese immediately centered the ball where Solaun uses her left foot to one-touch it in for her second goal of the season.

    Speese also had the assist on Solaun's second goal. The ball dinged around between Speese, freshman Savannah Jordan and a pair of OSU defenders near the top of the box. Speese gained control of the ball in the traffic, took a couple of touches and then sent a short ball to Solaun. Her one-touch shot off her right foot scored from 18 yards.


    * Solaun now has three double goal matches as a Gator. She also turned in a pair of goals versus Florida International as a sophomore and at Mississippi during freshman season.

    * Speese turned in her second double assist match of season, with both coming against teams with initials "OSU". On Aug. 25, Speese turned in two assists versus Oregon State and today had a pair of assists versus Oklahoma State.

    * Junior goalkeeper Taylor Burke posted her third-consecutive shutout of the season and the 18th of her career.

    RECORDS: Florida (5-1, 0-0 SEC); Oklahoma State (3-1-2, 0-0 Big 12).

    THE SERIES: This was the first meeting between Florida and Oklahoma State.

    Strong First Half Lifts Kentucky to Fourth-Straight Win

    LEXINGTON, Ky. -- With two goals in the first half, and an added insurance goal in the 71st minute, the University of Kentucky women’s soccer team powered past the University of Dayton Flyers, 3-1 on Sunday afternoon, picking up Kentucky’s fourth-straight win to move to 4-1-1 on the season.

    “I am really proud,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “I watched a lot of film on Dayton. I told the team that I thought they were the best team that we have played on film. I have tremendous respect for (Dayton head coach) Mike (Tucker) and the job he does. For us to be able to win means we played well. You don’t beat a team that good and play poorly. But, tomorrow, that won’t be good enough and we have to get better.”

    UK held much of the possession in the opening half, tallying 10 shots to the Dayton’s two, and earning two corner kicks. The Wildcats broke through in the 10th minute when Conway, Ark., native Alex Carter struck for her first-career goal, by intercepting a bad pass on the Dayton back line and turning it into the 1-0 lead. Carter then quickly made a quick move to her left after receiving the pass and beat the Flyer keeper, who came out and was beat into the left corner.

    “Alex (Carter) needed that,” Lipsitz said. “Alex has been playing really well. She is not a forward. She is a fantastic midfielder, but in order to get our best technical players out there, we need her there. She’s been incredibly coachable in the process. I’m glad she got one.”

    Kentucky would double its lead in the 24th minute with freshman Zoe Swift’s team-high-tying fifth goal of the season. Swift got in behind the defense on the right side and was slipped a through ball from Stuart Pope onto her foot. Swift then drew out the keeper to challenge the ball, took a touch to the right, and then passed it into the back of the net for her fifth of the year.

    The Wildcats would add another goal in the 71st minute when Pope knocked in her fifth goal of the season. Pope was played a ball from the wide side runner, Jade Klump, who played it back central for a running Pope at the top of the box. Pope beat her direct defender to the right and knocked the ball past the keeper far post for the 3-0 advantage.

    Three minutes later, the Flyers would strike back for their only goal of the afternoon when Ashley Campbell notched her third goal of the season as she headed a corner past Kayla King.

    King, combined with freshman Ayanna Parker, has now gone the last 510 minutes only allowing two goals, a stretch spanning over five games.

    The win comes as UK’s fourth straight, with wins over Eastern Kentucky (7-0), at Toledo (2-1), Louisville (2-0) and Dayton (3-1) since the opening weekend.

    Kentucky’s next match will be on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. ET against the Texas-San Antonio RoadRunners at the UK Soccer Complex.

    For continuing coverage of UK women’s soccer, log on to

    Auburn Soccer Blanks In-State Rival Troy, 3-0

    AUBURN, Ala. -- The Auburn soccer team shutout in-state rival Troy, 3-0, on Sunday at the Auburn Soccer Complex. With the win, the Tigers move to 2-2-1 while Troy falls to 2-4. The victory also secured a weekend sweep as Auburn downed Mercer Friday night, 2-0.

    "We are really happy with the result, getting a 3-0 win on a hot Sunday afternoon against a good Troy team," said Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa. "I thought the girls played really well and did a good job of bringing energy. I was also really excited to see three goals today."

    With a team full of young players, Hoppa saw some of them step up into big roles over the weekend. Freshman Casie Ramsier recorded a goal and an assist while sophomore Haley Gerken tallied two assists, both against Troy.

    "I think our young players are getting better every game, we are starting five freshmen and that is a big part of our lineup," said Hoppa. "Casie has been really dangerous for us every game so far. She maybe hasn't got the goals, but she has created with her movement and assists, so it was great for her to get one in the net."

    Hoppa also praised the team's efforts in practice this week preparing for Mercer and Troy. With few scoring opportunities to that point in the season, she worked with her squad on their mobility and making runs at the goal.

    "We worked all week on getting more mobility in our attack," said Hoppa. "We needed our forwards making runs, we needed our midfielders running and I think that made a big difference. That mobility made a big difference because when our attacking players are running, it opens up other players to get into gaps and seams and fine goal-scoring opportunities."

    Auburn goalkeeper Alyse Scott recorded her second consecutive shutout after facing three shots from the Trojans, saving one. She faced nine shots with three saves over the weekend.

    Auburn netted what proved to be the game-winner in the 19th minute as Chelsea Gandy-Cromer scored her first goal of the season. After receiving a pass from Haley Gerken, Gandy-Cromer raced down the left side of the box before curling it past Troy goalkeeper Caitlin Buono.

    The Tigers would double their lead four minutes later as Casie Ramsier netted her first career goal. Auburn earned a corner kick, but the attempt was cleared by the Trojan defense. Ramsier regained possession just outside of the box before putting the shot past Buono.

    Ten minutes into the second half, Auburn scored its third goal as Tori Ball scored her second goal of the season. After Haley Gerken hit the crossbar, Ball was able to corral the rebound and head it in, giving Gerken her second assist of the game.

    Auburn tallied 17 shots on the match, compared to three from the Trojans. Gandy-Cromer led with five shots while Ball and Gerken added three each.

    Auburn will continue its homestand next weekend with matches against the College of Charleston and Long Beach State. Kickoff against the Cougars is set for 7 p.m., Friday at the Auburn Soccer Complex. Auburn will take on Long Beach State at 2 p.m., Sunday. Admission is free to both matches.

    Razorbacks Extend Winning Streak To Six

    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Behind a goal from senior Evan Palmer in the 103rd minute of double-overtime, the Arkansas Razorback soccer team (6-0) kept its undefeated start going with a dramatic 2-1 victory over Big Ten foe Nebraska (2-2-1) on Sunday afternoon at Razorback Field.

    Palmer’s golden goal was setup by freshman Rachel Riggs, who battled for possession of the ball on the left side of the goal box before perfectly placing a ball in front of the net to the streaking Palmer for the Razorbacks’ second double-overtime win of the year.

    “It was a good game, I thought the game went in waves,” head coach Colby Hale said. “Nebraska has so much quality in the final third of the field. I thought we managed the game well but at times absorbed a lot of pressure. I thought the golden goal was indicative of this group. It isn't always pretty but that is the way it is with this team. It was a good team effort and we will definitely take a lot from this game that we need to get better with. Winning is hard but it's a lot of fun to be part of a group that loves to put in the work.”

    Arkansas would strike first in the third minute of the game off the leg of sophomore Ashleigh Ellenwood, who would find the back of the net for the fourth time this season. Ellenwood received a pass from freshman Alexandra Fischer and on the left side of the goal box and a fired a shot past the Nebraska keeper into the bottom right corner. It marked the second time this season that Ellenwood has scored in the opening five minutes of the game.

    In the second half, Nebraska found the scoreboard with a goal from junior Hannah Dittmar in the 80th minute to tie the game at 1-1. Arkansas would be out-shot in the second half, 12-5, but had the best chance in the final seconds but Ellenwood’s bid at the game-winner from 10 yards out was turned away.

    A scoreless first overtime period set the stage for Palmer, who registered her second goal in the last three games, but her first game-winner.

    After playing four games in the last 10 days, Arkansas, who was No. 2 in last week’s NSCAA South Region poll, will now enjoy four days off from game action before embarking on a two-game road trip next weekend. The Razorbacks open the trip at Utah State on Friday, Sept. 13, at 5 p.m.

    For more information on Arkansas soccer, follow @RazorbackSoccer on Twitter.

    Vanderbilt Soccer plays to 4-4 draw despite Williams' hat-trick

    MADISON, Wisc. - The Vanderbilt women's soccer team saw a three-goal halftime lead disappear as the `Dores and Milwaukee battled to a 4-4 draw at the McClimon Complex on Sunday afternoon.

    "This was a disappointing result for us," said Vandy head coach Derek Greene. "We need to be able to hold a 3-0 lead. We took our foot off the gas and let opportunities by, we could have put this game out of reach. Give Milwaukee credit though, when we let up, they capitalized on their opportunities."

    Cheyna Williams continued her outstanding play this weekend picking up the hat trick against Milwaukee, bringing her weekend goal total to five.

    The Commodores (2-2-2) came out of the gate on fire scoring two goals in the first seven minutes of play. The scoring started when Simone Charley found Williams cutting across the back line, who then beat the keeper one-on-one.

    The scoring Vandy scoring continued when Sasha Gray used a nice spin move to beat the Milwaukee keeper from 15 yards out.

    In the 29th minute of play Jamie Kator found a gap in the back line and sent a great through-ball off the outside of her right foot to Williams on the breakaway for her second of the game.

    Vanderbilt held a 3-0 lead coming out of the half until Milwaukee's Krissy Dorre went off for three goals of her own in the second half.

    Dorre would score her first of the game in the 47th minute off a blocked shot by Melanie Coderre.

    The Commodores would answer in the 56th minute when Kator found Williams again who finished, upper-90, from 12 yards out.

    Dorre went on for two more, one from 30 yards out and her third and final goal coming off a free kick by Kelsey Holbert, in which Dorre headed it past the goalie.

    Milwaukee scored the equalizer in the 82nd minute on a Kelly Lewers goal from 25 yards out.

    Vanderbilt had two opportunities to put the game away, one late in regulation when Williams sent a rocket over the keeper and off the crossbar. The next chance came two minutes into the first overtime when Williams took a shot on the breakaway, but the Milwaukee keeper made a great save to preserve the game.

    The final 20 minutes of play were dead even, as neither team could put the ball in the back of the net for the game-winner. Milwaukee out-shot Vandy in the two overtime periods 4-3, and didn't allow a single shot in the final 10 minutes.

    "Both teams fought hard in the final 20 minutes," said Greene. "We are a young team and we probably shouldn't have let the game get into overtime in the first place. We haven't played with many 3-0 leads, so this will be a good opportunity for us to learn so that we are ready when conference-play starts."

    Vanderbilt will play its final two non-conference games next weekend, starting with a trip to Homewood, Ala., on Friday September 13 to take on Samford. Then it is back to the VU Soccer Complex on Sunday for a match with Georgia State.

    No. 24 Soccer Plays No. 9 Baylor to a 0-0 draw

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The No. 24 Texas A&M Aggies and No. 9 Baylor Bears played to a 0-0 draw through two overtime periods at Ellis Field on Sunday night action at the Texas A&M Invitational.

    The Aggies and Bears ended action at the tournament with identical 1-0-1 records, but A&M claimed the title with a +5 goal differential compared to +1 for Baylor. On Friday, A&M topped San Diego 6-1 while Baylor bested Missouri 2-1.

    With one its top scoring threats, Annie Kunz, sidelined after being taken out on a yellow card-drawing foul 10 seconds into the match, the Aggies tried to muster offense through a grizzly Bears’ defense. For the contest, Texas A&M owned the advantage in shots (15-13) and the Bears possessed the advantage in corner kicks (4-3).

    Jordan Day recorded her second shutout of the season and the 25th of her career. With the shutout, A&M has blanked Baylor in 11 of their last 12 meetings. Day made six saves on the evening, including a leaping grab as the clock struck zero in the second overtime.

    Play was chippy from the outset, as Baylor’s Vic Hoffman was issued a yellow card before the contest was 30 seconds old on a foul of Kunz. The Bears held the edge in fouls for the game, 11-9, including 8-3 in the first half. The Baylor bench was issued a yellow card in the first minute of the second overtime.

    The Aggies had the best scoring opportunity in the first half when Bianca Brinson took a pass from Janae Cousineau in the 44th minute and sent in a solid shot in from 12 yards out, but it sailed just north of the crossbar.

    Early in the second half Brinson launched a ball from the right end line that hit the crossbar to rattle the cage coming out of the intermission. Liz Keester tattooed the crossbar on a shot in the 69th minute and two minutes later forced a sprawling save from Baylor netminder Michelle Kloss on a well-driven ball from 15 yards.

    In the 88th minute, Brinson had what may have been the best breakaway scoring opportunity of the contest, chasing down a lobbed pass from Meghan Streight down the right side of the pitch, but her touch betrayed her just inside the penalty box and Baylor was able knock the ball out of danger. With under a minute remaining in regulation, Shea Groom sent a shot in from 15 yards out that would have prevented overtime, but Kloss was able to get a glove on the ball to push it wide of the frame.

    The Maroon and White nearly had a sudden-death goal in the second overtime period, but Cousineau’s sharper grounder from 12 yards out bounced inches right of the goal in the 106th minute.

    Day preserved the shutout in the game’s waning moments as she made saves on shots by Alex Klein with 3:17 remaining and Bri Campos as the final whistle blew.

    Texas A&M returns to action on Friday when the Aggies host the Massachusetts Minutewomen in a 6 pm contest at Ellis Field.

    Mizzou Suffers 2-1 Overtime Loss to San Diego

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- San Diego notched the game-winning goal with 43 seconds left in the first overtime session to take a 2-1 win over the Mizzou soccer team Sunday afternoon in College Station, Texas. The Tigers fell to 3-3 on the season, while the Toreros improved to 4-2.

    In the 100th minute, San Diego goalkeeper Michelle Craft sailed a free kick deep into the Missouri defensive end. The Toreros' Caitlin Kretzchmar tracked down the ball and tapped it past Mizzou keeper McKenzie Sauerwein, who was stationed at the top of the box. The shot dribbled toward the goal and into the back of the net for the game-winner.

    The Tigers outshot the Toreros 20-13, but San Diego had a 12-8 edge in shots on goal.

    Neither team managed to get on the scoreboard in the early going. In the 20th minute, the Tigers two close scoring chances to keep the contest scoreless. Junior Taylor Grant took a pass into the box from junior Kaysie Clark and sent shot toward the net that the Torero keeper punched over the crossbar. A minute later, senior Dominique Richardson sailed a 25-yard to the upper right corner of the net but again the San Diego goalie saved the attempt.

    The Toreros nearly got on the board in the 28th minute but Dillon's shot across the goal hit the right post.

    San Diego broke through in the 35th minute to take a 1-0 advantage. Dillon lofted an 18-yard shot past the outstretched arms of Sauerwein and into the upper right netting.

    Redshirt freshman Loudell Crumpler looked to tie the match up with three minutes left in the half. However, her 12-yard shot bounced off the left post and San Diego was able to clear the ball.

    The Tigers finally got the lid off the goal in the 64th minute to knot the score at 1-1. Redshirt sophomore Lauren Flynn played a ball into the box. A Torero defender got her foot on the ball but sophomore Reagan Russell stole it away and sent a 15-yard shot past the San Diego keeper and into the back of the net. The tally was Russell's third of the year.

    In the first minute of overtime, Russell received the ball in front of the goal and blasted a right-footed shot but her attempt flew just to the left of the goal. Sauerwein made 10 saves in net for the Tigers.

    The Tigers return home to face Eastern Illinois on Friday, Sept. 13 at 6:30 p.m.

    Bulldogs Fall To Southern Miss On Three Late Goals

    HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Mississippi State and Southern Miss played evenly for most of Sunday’s match in Hattiesburg, but three USM goals in the final 15 minutes proved the difference as the Bulldogs dropped a 3-0 decision.

    The Bulldogs return home from a four-match roadtrip 2-3 on the season. Southern Miss improved to 4-1-1.

    “It was a pretty even game through most of the match. Both teams had chances, but neither team was able to really dominate in the first half. We started well in the second half, but all the injuries and illnesses we’ve had caught up to us and they were able to score late. We tried to push forward looking for the equalizer, and unfortunately, they were able to score another one,” Aaron Gordon said. “We have to try and get healthy and get back to work to get ready for Furman and Jackson State to come to town this weekend.”

    Mississippi State’s CJ Winship made eight saves in the contest as she faced 20 USM shots. Brittany Taylor proved equally tough in goal, halting all 10 of the Dawgs’ on-goal chances.

    Both teams traded scoring chances, but neither squad could break through until the 75th minute when Danica Roberts scored her seventh goal of the season off passes from Conner McKie and Ashley Johnson.

    With the Bulldogs pushed up the field looking for the equalizer, Missy Wentz capitalized in the 80th minute to extend the lead to 2-0. Anya Koren netted the final score in the 83rd minute.

    Senior Elisabeth Sullivan paced the Bulldogs as she took three shots and put all of them on target.

    The Memphis native had a school-record six-match goal streak stopped.

    Southern Miss out-shot the Bulldogs 20-15 thanks to a 12-7 edge in the second half. MSU put 10 of its shots on frame, while USM managed 11 on-target opportunities.

    Mississippi State led 4-2 in corner kick opportunities.

    State returns home to host the Bulldog Classic in the non-conference finale. State plays the second contest each day, challenging Furman at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Jackson State at 1 p.m. Sunday.

    Fans can follow Bulldog soccer on Twitter (@HailStateSOC), Facebook (HailStateSOC) and Instagram (HailStateSOC). Mississippi State athletics can also be found on FanCred by going to

    Rebels Fall To Gophers 2-1 In Overtime

    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. -- Rafaelle Souza connected on a penalty kick in the 71st minute, but the Golden Gophers got a late penalty kick and an overtime goal to pick up the win as Ole Miss (4-1-1) fell to Minnesota (6-0-0) in the Minnesota Gold Classic on Sunday.

    A pair of penalty kicks played a role in sending the Rebels to an overtime match for the second time on the weekend as the Golden Gophers evened things up in the 87th minute following a hand ball call in the box against Ole Miss.

    Minnesota then hit the golden goal in the 98th minute when a deflected ball in the box was gathered by Josee Stiever and sent out of the crowd and into the net to end the match.

    "It was a good weekend for us on the road coming to a Big 10 area and playing two good teams," said Ole Miss head coach Matthew Mott. "We're disappointed we didn't get a result today. We had it late and started to run out of gas. The kids played hard, but Minnesota was a little fresher than us.

    "We have to get home and prepare to go back out on the road to start next weekend before we come home to host Memphis on Sunday night," Mott said. "We'll be excited to get home and play in front of our crowd, but first we have to prepare for another road match on Friday."

    It was a back-and-forth early with the first-time opponents feeling each other out in the beginning stages of the game. The Rebels got several opportunities out of the gates, but couldn't find the back of the net as shots went wide and high following the dangerous runs on offense by Ole Miss.

    The Rebels outshot the Golden Gophers 8-to-3 in the first half and posted four corners to none for home-standing Minnesota.

    The two teams again spent the early parts of the second period trading blows as they prodded each other's defense but were unable to convert on scoring opportunities. The Rebels made the first successful strike in the 71st minute.

    Olivia Harrison took the ball service in down the field and flashed down the center of the field with the ball before she was taken down from behind in the box by a Golden Gopher defender as she had only the keeper to beat. Souza lined up the PK and drilled it past the freshman keeper to put Ole Miss on the board.

    The Gophers looked to answer with pressure offensively following the Rebel goal, but Ole Miss turned away the attacks to maintain the 1-0 lead on the hosting Minnesota team.

    Minnesota continued the high-pressure attack down the stretch and got its break with a penalty kick in the 87th minute as the Rebels were called for a hand ball in the box. Katie Thyken then hit the penalty kick for the Gophers to tie the match.

    Ole Miss got its last shot in regulation with 20 seconds on the clock when Rafaelle Souza was pushed down right outside the box, resulting in a free kick for the Rebels. McCalla put the kick online, but it was deflected behind the wall and sailed wide to send the match into overtime.

    The stalemate continued through the first seven minutes of the overtime period until the Golden Gophers got a ball into the box from the near side. McCormick and the defense deflected the ball, but Stiever gathered it in as a group of players went down in the box and sent it into the net for the win.

    Ole Miss will return to action next Friday night, continuing to play on the road at Kennesaw State before returning home to host Memphis Sunday night.

    Alabama Soccer Falls At No. 20 Denver, 2-0

    DENVER, Colo. -- The Alabama soccer team fell to No. 20 Denver, 2-0, in the final game of the 2013 Denver Invitational on Sunday afternoon.

    The Pioneers improve to a program-best 6-0 record with the win, while the Crimson Tide slips to 1-4 on the season.

    The Pioneers jumped on the board in the 19th minute when Nikki Pappalardo scored the game's first goal to give her team a 1-0 lead. Kristen Hamilton then put the game out of reach with a goal at the 70:58 mark to result in the final score.

    Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Rusk, making her second consecutive start in the net for Alabama, made seven saves in the contest. She made 19 saves vs. Colorado on Friday night, which were the second-most in a game in UA program history, and finished tournament play with a total of 26 saves.

    The Denver contest marked Alabama's second match against a team ranked among the nation's top 25 and the third time the Crimson Tide has faced an undefeated team this season.

    The Crimson Tide will return to action next week when it travels to take on the Memphis Tigers on Friday at 7 p.m. CT. Alabama will then return home to square off with in-state rival UAB on Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Alabama Soccer Complex.

    Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaSoccer on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.