SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 13 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 13

    Friday Soccer RESULTS
    Texas A&M 3, UMass 1
    Arkansas 3, Utah State 2
    Stephen F. Austin 4, LSU 0
    Georgia 1, Long Beach State 0
    Middle Tennessee 1, Tennessee 0
    Florida 2, Minnesota 0
    Kentucky 1, UTSA 0
    Memphis 6, Alabama 0
    Auburn 3, College of Charleston 0
    Furman 4, Mississippi State 0
    Ole Miss 2, Kennesaw State 1
    Missouri 3, Eastern Illinois 0
    Samford 3, Vanderbilt 2

    Groom’s Hat Trick Leads Aggies to Win Over UMass

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Shea Groom registered her first career hat trick to lead the No. 20 Texas A&M Aggies to a 3-1 win over the UMass Minutewomen at Ellis Field on Friday evening.

    Groom netted the Aggies’ first hat trick since September 18, 2011 when Annie Kunz and Kelley Monogue both did the deed in a 13-1 pasting of the Fordham Rams at Ellis Field.

    Bianca Brinson supplied assists on each of Groom’s first two goals and Liz Keester offered the assistance on the third tally.

    Groom delivered a one-two punch scoring two goals in 59 seconds to stake the Aggies to a 2-0 lead with 27:34 remaining in the first half. On her first goal, Groom took a feed from Brinson at the arc and worked her way to the penalty spot where she delivered a shot to the right of the keeper to break the scoring seal. Her next goal came when UMass goalie Danielle Kriscenski was unable to corral a shot from Brinson. Groom collected the carom just inches from Kriscenski’s mitts and sent it to the back of the net.

    The Minutewomen trimmed the A&M lead in half in the 33rd minute of action. UMass took advantage of a poor clearance by the Aggies and Rebekka Sverrisdottir delivered a pass to Brittany Moore at the top of the penalty box. With A&M netminder Jordan Day off her line, Moore lobbed a shot over the leaping goalie to cut the lead to 2-1.

    Groom added an insurance goal in the 80th minute. Keester worked the ball into the penalty box and sent a pass to Groom eight yards out on the left post. The junior completed the hat trick sending a shot past a diving goalkeeper into the right side netting for the 3-1 advantage.

    Texas A&M dictated the terms of play throughout the contest, logging a 32-8 edge in shots, including 14-2 in the opening half. The Aggies also owned a 13-2 advantage in shots-on-goal and a 7-2 margin in corner kicks for the contest.

    Day made two saves in goal for the Aggies, both in the second half, to pick up her 36th career win in goal.

    Kriscenski made 10 saves in goal for UMass in the losing effort.

    The Aggies return to action on Sunday when they host the Cal Poly Mustangs in a 7 pm match at Ellis Field.

    No. 25 Razorbacks Win With Third Golden Goal Of The Season

    LOGAN, Utah – Freshman Rachel Riggs picked up two goals. Including the game-winner just 41 seconds into overtime, to extend No. 25 University of Arkansas soccer team's record start to 7-0 with 3-2 comeback win at previously unbeaten Utah State (4-1-1) on a rainy Friday night.

    The overtime win is the third of the season for the Razorbacks, who overcame a pair of one-goal deficits in the second half. Riggs is the sixth different player to record a game-winner.

    Just into the first overtime period, sophomore Ashleigh Ellenwood collected her second assist of the game by serving a ball into the box to find the head of Riggs for the golden goal. Riggs has three goals on the year, while Ellenwood leads the team with 11 points thanks to having at least one point in five of seven contests.

    "That's a big win,” head coach Colby Hale said. “Utah State are a very good team and are fantastic at their home field. We weren't at our best in many regards so to come from behind twice, fight through some stuff and get the result on the road speaks volumes of this group."

    It marked just the second time this season the Razorbacks have trailed in the second half. Arkansas also remains unblemished on the road.

    Utah State would find the back of the net for the second time in the 55th minute to take the lead, 2-1, over the Razorbacks for the second time in the match. Arkansas would follow up with a goal of its own from Riggs to tie the game at 2-2 with an assist from Ellenwood. The score would remain tied to force an overtime period.

    Just four minutes into the second half, senior Evan Palmer came up with the equalizer, her second goal in as many games, to tie the score at 1-1. The goal came from an assist off the foot of fellow senior Yvonne DesJarlais.

    In the first half, the Razorbacks fell behind on the scoreboard with a goal in the 35th minute by Mari Miyashiro of Utah State to trail for the first time this season on the road. Arkansas would out-shoot Utah State 7-5, but the Razorbacks would be held off the scoreboard.

    The Razorbacks return to the pitch this weekend for their final non-conference matchup at TCU on Sunday Sept. 13. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest (FSN).

    LSU Drops Non-Conference Road Match at Stephen F. Austin, 4-0

    NACOGDOCHES, Texas – The Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks took control early with two quick goals inside of 10 minutes from the opening kickoff before pushing the final score line to 4-0 as the LSU Soccer team suffered a setback to the home side to open their final weekend of non-conference play on Friday night at the SFA Soccer Field.

    Friday’s result marked LSU’s (3-3-1) first defeat to Stephen F. Austin (5-1-1) in five meetings all-time between the two sides as they play their final weekend of non-conference action.

    The Ladyjacks struck twice inside of 10 minutes from the opening kickoff as junior striker Zuri Prince and senior midfielder Melissa Gaudet found the back of the net to give the home side an early 2-0 lead.

    Following a failed clearance in the box by the LSU defense in the ninth minute, the ball popped out to Prince standing just beyond the penalty spot as she buried her effort inside the left post at the 8:51 mark. Stephen F. Austin added to its lead just 56 seconds later on Gaudet’s successful penalty kick after senior midfielder Brenda Salazar was fouled inside the area on the first of two corner kicks by the Ladyjacks in the first half.

    The Ladyjacks then pushed their lead to 3-0 before the break on a cracker from distance by freshman striker Amanda Doyle as she pulled up from 25 yards and fired a shot underneath the crossbar at the 31:51 mark.

    The Tigers threatened to pull one back late in the first frame with the likes of sophomore Fernanda Pina and freshmen Summer Clarke and Emma Fletcher leading the attack.

    Clarke created LSU’s best opportunity in the run of play as she was played through the Ladyjack back line by sophomore Lexi Gibbs, but after pulling back to elude one of the recovering Stephen F. Austin center backs, her shot was picked out of the air by the SFA keeper. Less than a minute later, Fletcher fired a header from eight yards on an end-line cross by junior Alex Arlitt that sailed just wide of the right post.

    The Tigers were unable to find an answer into the second half before Ashton Norman provided the final margin in the 84th minute with another long-range effort that found the back of the net with 6:07 to go. Stephen F. Austin earned its first victory over the Tigers in the series while improving to 5-1-1 on the year for its best seven-game start in the team’s history.

    The Tigers outshot the Ladyjacks by a 14-13 count on the final scoresheet while also holding a slight 5-4 edge in corner kicks over the course of 90 minutes. Stephen F. Austin held a 6-3 advantage in shots on goal.

    The Tigers will wrap up their non-conference season on Sunday afternoon when they make the trip to Houston, Texas, to face the Rice Owls with kickoff set for 1 p.m. CT at the Rice Soccer Complex. They will then kick off the Southeastern Conference season next weekend with a match against Vanderbilt on Saturday, Sept. 21, with kickoff set for 7 p.m. in Nashville, Tenn.

    Crowder Paces Georgia Over LBSU

    ATHENS, Ga. - The Georgia soccer team used an 80th minute goal from freshman Marion Crowder to post a 1-0 win over Long Beach State on Friday night at the UGA Soccer Stadium – the Bulldogs’ sixth straight win and sixth straight shutout.

    Georgia improves to 6-1 on the season, good for the best start under head coach Steve Holeman and the best start for the program since the 1999 squad started at 7-0-1. The six-game winning streak is Georgia’s longest since 2007, while the six straight shutouts is the longest such scoreless mark for the Bulldogs since 2009. Tonight Georgia moved its shutout streak to 574 minutes and 57 seconds, second-longest in program history behind only the 1999 team that posted eight consecutive shutouts to begin its season. The Bulldogs have not given up a goal since the season opener vs. Texas.

    “What another great victory for us,” Holeman said. “It would’ve been nice to get one in the first half to breathe a little easier, but we made a very good Long Beach State team look pretty average tonight. That is a result of us and our ability to keep the ball well and move the ball well. We had some nice combinations and had a lot of good chances. We do need to finish some more of opportunities and we will work on that. I loved the way we finished the game after we scored. We managed the clock well and I thought overall it was a fantastic effort.”

    Less than two minutes in, the senior forward Madeline Barker had a corner kick that set freshman Gabby Seiler up for an open look, but her shot hit the crossbar. Just moments later, senior Nicole Locandro had a shot slide just wide left as the Bulldogs set the tone early.

    With the first-half clock hovering over 28 minutes to play, Rachel Garcia threaded one inside to Seiler, but her shot was wide. Georgia maintained the possession for the majority of the first half, limiting LBSU’s quality looks at the goal. The Bulldogs had another one of their own with just over seven to play before the break, when Seiler settled in for a free kick in 49ers territory, but her initial shot was blocked and her second-effort look was wide left.

    Freshman Hannah Edwards had a shot go wide after another UGA corner just before halftime, and the teams went into the intermission still scoreless despite Georgia’s convincing 9-3 lead in the shot column.

    The Bulldogs had three shots within the first minute of the second half and continued to control the run of play in search of the go-ahead. With 24 minutes left in the second, Caroline Waters served a perfect cross inside and Bria Washington’s subsequent header hit the post, Georgia’s second attempt off the woodwork on the night. As the Bulldogs continued threatening, freshman Lauren Tanner had a shot blocked inside with 10:20 to play, but that’s when the game-winner came, as seconds later Crowder took a pass inside from Cara Smith and fired it bottom right corner past the keeper for the 1-0 lead, and it would be all Georgia needed to secure the victory. Smith and senior defender Nikki  Hill – who took a far side throw-in to set up Smith’s serve inside – earned assists on the play. It was the first career point for the redshirt freshman Smith.

    Georgia ended the game leading in the shot column 22-4, with Crowder’s second goal of the season and second game-winner all the Bulldogs needed to post the victory. Madeline Barker had five shots for Georgia to lead the way, followed by Seiler’s four and three apiece for Garcia and Crowder. Caitlin Woody made the one save she was forced to, posting her sixth straight clean sheet.

    Tonight the Bulldogs earned their first win all-time over LBSU, with the teams playing their inaugural contest.

    The Bulldogs are home again on Sunday to take on the College of Charleston at 2 p.m. Live video coverage will be available on

    Middle Tennessee Edges Tennessee, 1-0

    MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- The Tennessee soccer team could not bounce back from Emily Jorgenson's goal in the third minute, falling to MTSU, 1-0, on Friday in Murfreesboro.

    Tennessee (5-2) came out of the second half very aggressive, but still could not find the back of the net while the MTSU (1-3-2) back line held its ground.

    Hannah Wilkinson had four shots, CC Cobb had three shots and Julie Eckel (5-2) made four saves in the loss.

    In the 55th minute, Wilkinson had a shot in the box that went high and wide. In the 59th minute, Cheyenne Spade took a free kick from 10 yards outside the right side of box, but the Blue Raider defense cleared the ball quickly.

    There was a questionable call in the 64th minute as Brouwer slid over her own back line to clear the ball to her right. UT was given a throw-in instead of a corner kick.

    In the 68th minute, Wilkinson had shot from about 15 yards outside the box that Brouwer grabbed to her right.

    With under seven minutes left, Michele Christy sent a good cross deep into the box, but Brouwer skied to snatch it out of the air before any UT players could get a header.

    In the 88th minute, Cobb had a shot from the top of the box that went right to the center where Brouwer was there waiting for it.

    Christy had another shot in the closing seconds that went wide of the goal.

    In the first half, MTSU pulled ahead with a very quick score in the third minute when Emily Jorgenson punched in a ball right in front of the net. Amalie Anderdal took a free kick from the right side of the UT third and the ball bounced about three yards in front of the goal. With a Tennessee defender on her, Jorgenson knocked the ball past Eckel's right.

    Tennessee scrambled down the field immediately after MTSU's goal with Brittney Wade sending a high cross in the box from the left side that went over the crossbar.

    UT remained aggressive for the rest of the first half, trying to punch in the equalizer. In the seventh minute, Susan Ferguson had a header shot that MTSU keeper Kelsey Brouwer grabbed. Later in the seventh, Wilkinson had a shot go wide.Cheyenne Spade had corner kicks in the ninth and 12th minutes, but Tennessee was unable to register a shot on either attempt.

    Eckel made a good save in the 15th minute and with under nine minutes left, she collided with an MTSU attacker and covered the ball on the ground.

    At the half, UT had a 5-4 edge on shots and a 5-1 advantage on corner kicks.

    Tennessee returns to Regal Soccer Stadium on Sunday for a 1 p.m. home match against Western Kentucky. The first 100 kids at the UT-WKU match will receive a free hot dog and drink. There also will be a free kids soccer clinic on the field following Sunday's match.

    No. 9 Florida soccer hands Minnesota first loss of season
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. - A pair of second half goals from freshman Savannah Jordan gave the No. 9 Florida soccer team a 2-0 win over previously undefeated Minnesota Friday evening at the James G. Pressly Stadium.
    After a scoreless opening half, Jordan needed just two minutes and a tick to put the Gators up 2-0. The first goal started when junior Lauren Silver, from in the Florida half, sent the ball to just above the UM box. Then it was a foot race between Jordan and a Gopher defender. Jordan won control and sent the ball to the far post corner just before a second UM defender looked to end the play. Then passes from sophomore Lindsey Cooper to senior Maggie Rodgers resulted in Jordan receiving the ball inside the right side of the box. The shot she took to the far post was touched by the diving Gopher goalkeeper Tarah Hobbs, but the momentum of Jordan's right-footed shot carried it on where it kicked off the far post into the goal at 65:07.

    Pope’s Magic Moment Lifts Kentucky Past UTSA

    LEXINGTON, Ky. - Junior Stuart Pope scored her team-high sixth in the 62nd minute to lift Kentucky to its fifth-straight win, as the Wildcats outlasted the University of Texas at San Antonio RoadRunners, 1-0 on Friday night at the UK Soccer Complex.

    "UTSA was a very tough team," UK associate head coach Michelle Rayner said. "In the first half, we didn't quite get enough out of the team as far as what we were looking for in game management and how we were trying to break them down. We were not doing what we needed to do in the final third. We had a chat about that at halftime, fixed some things, got the ball out wide and I think we succeeded with that in the second half."

    Kentucky dominated possession and shots all night long, only allowing UTSA to record six shots in the game, with all six tallies coming in the first frame. The RoadRunners were able to muscle out two second-half corner kicks to push their game total to three corners in the match.

    Kentucky outshot UTSA 8-6 in the first half, before stepping up in the second half to claim 14 shots, with eight of them being on goal.

    The UK goal came from Pope in the 62nd minute as she was on the receiving end of an Arin Gilliland service ball that came from the left flank. Gilliland got the ball from the midfield and snatched open space on the left of the penalty area before serving a ball across the face of goal, which was headed in by Pope, who was to the far side of the keeper.

    The goal for Pope was her team-high sixth of the season, and her sixth goal in the past five matches. She now leads the team in points with 14.

    Kentucky has now won a season-high five-consecutive games, all while outscoring their opponents 15-2 in those five games.

    King kept a clean sheet for the third time this season, as she has now only allowed two goals in the past 670 minutes on the pitch.

    "Kayla is a rock star back there," Rayner said. `She leads our back line, she is very talkative, communicative, and really helps organize us in the back. Every game is a learning experience with this back line and I think they got better in some areas. Every game is a plus and they are only going to get better."

    Kentucky will next travel to Morgantown, W. Va., to face the No. 19/10 West Virginia Mountaineers on Sunday afternoon. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 p.m. ET at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.

    Alabama Soccer Team Tripped Up At Memphis

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The Alabama soccer team began its final weekend of non-conference action with a 6-0 loss at Memphis on Friday night at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex.

    The Tigers improve to 5-1 with the win, while the Crimson Tide slips to 1-5 on the year.

    Memphis' Christabel Oduro accounted for two goals, while Valerie Sanderson and Carly Cassidy each had a goal and assist en route to the victory.

    Alabama had 14 shots in the match, just two fewer than Memphis, and held a 9-8 edge in shots on goal. But the Tigers made the most of their opportunities, accounting for three goals in each half.

    Memphis goalkeeper Marys Bard-Martel made nine saves on the night, while sophomore goalkeeper Emily Rusk and senior goalkeeper Shelby Church combined to make only two saves.

    The Crimson Tide played without its leading scorer, sophomore midfielder Merel Van Dongen due to a red card suspension. The Amsterdam, Netherlands, native has scored all three of UA's goals on the year.

    Alabama's offensive struggles continue as it has now gone 303 minutes (three-plus games) without scoring a goal.

    The Crimson Tide will look to end that streak when it squares off against in-state rival UAB on Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Alabama Soccer Complex. It will mark Alabama's first home match since Sept. 1.

    Auburn Tops College of Charleston, 3-0, For Third Shutout

    AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn women’s soccer team extended its winning streak to three matches after the Tigers shutout the College of Charleston, 3-0, Friday night at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

    “We were trying to create urgency in the box,” Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa said. “We talked about it a lot at halftime and I thought the girls responded really well. I thought Casie’s goal was a great near-post run. Overall, I thought the adjustments we made for the final product was really good in the second half.”

    Auburn controlled possession in the first half, but could not find the back of the net. The Tigers, however, did not waste any time getting started in the final 45 minutes of the match, though.

    Auburn scored its first goal of the night from freshman Casie Ramsier in the fifth minute of the second half. Ramsier received a cross from Tori Ball before heading it in from six yards out. The goal was Ramsier’s second on the season.

    Fifteen minutes later, her twin sister Brooke Ramsier netted her first goal of the season to give Auburn a 2-0 lead. After receiving a center cross from Ball on the right sideline, Ramsier collected the deflection off of the Cougar defender and placed it in the back of the net.

    “It was a great effort by both twins with the adjustments made at halftime,” Hoppa said. “We hope there is a lot more twin power to come.”

    Auburn extended its lead to 3-0 with 11:58 remaining as Chelsea Gandy-Cromer earned her second goal of the season. Senior Bianca Sierra sent in the corner, which was initially deflected by College of Charleston’s goalkeeper, Eli Sarasola, but was corralled by Gandy-Cromer at the goal line and kicked it.

    The Tigers tallied 28 shots in the match along with 12 corners. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Alyse Scott collected her third shutout on the year, making one save on the lone shot from the Cougars.

    The Auburn defense of Bianca Sierra, Kala Faulkner and Kiana Clarke anchored the shutout performance, limiting the Cougars’ looks at the goal.

    Auburn returns to the pitch at 2 p.m. CT, Sunday as the Tigers host Long Beach State. Admission is free. Fans can listen locally on WEGL 91.1 FM or follow online with Web streaming on

    Bulldog Soccer Battles Hard Before Bowing To Furman

    STARKVILLE, Miss. – Mississippi State put in a spirited effort in front of a school record-tying crowd of 875, but a roster depleted by injuries to four starters hampered the Bulldogs down the stretch as Furman claimed a 4-0 win in the opening game of the Bulldog Classic.

    Friday’s MSU Soccer Field crowd tied the record set against Ole Miss in 2010, and the Bulldogs responded with a tough, physical effort. After going to half 0-0, State’s depleted roster was unable to overcome two early second-half goals from Stephanie DeVita, the 2012 Southern Conference Player and Freshman of the Year.

    Mississippi State fell to 2-4 with the setback, while Furman improved to 3-2.

    “First, I want to thank all of the fans that came out and supported us tonight,” Gordon said. “It was a great crowd, and I thought our team really fed off the excitement of being back at home.

    “I thought we came out and played hard in the opening half. It was a great first half that saw both teams create some scoring chances,” Gordon said. “Unfortunately having four starters out of the lineup hurt us, and we lost our legs in the second half. We had some young players step in and give us some minutes, and hopefully that will help us as we get on into the season.”   

    Both teams created some chances in opening half, but neither squad was able to capitalize on seven combined on-goal opportunities.

    Furman came out pressuring on offense in the early going, with Kristen Baker and DeVita each having two shots denied by CJ Winship in the opening 14 minutes.

    The Paladins missed another scoring chance in the 17th minute as Ali Simpson headed a corner that banged off the crossbar.

    In the 29th minute, Halee Heltsley made a run from the left side and hit a shot that Furman keeper Rose Hull just managed to deflect around the far post.

    Elisabeth Sullivan was unable to break the deadlock with shots in the 39th and 43rd minutes, and the squads took the 0-0 score to halftime.

    Winship stopped a Jamie Alexander shot early in the second half, but moments later DeVita broke the deadlock as she worked right past the MSU defense and put a ball low past Winship just inside the near post.

    Heltsley had a shot stopped by Maggie Grisell in the 63rd minute, and the Paladins countered seven minutes later as DeVita took a cross from the right side and put it into the far side of the net.

    Sullivan tried to cut into the two-goal deficit, but Grisell turned back her 70th-minute strike with one of her six second-half saves.

    Alyssa Althoff headed in a corner kick in the 72nd minute to make it 3-0, and Sheehan Delaney capped the scoring on a breakaway with six seconds remaining.

    Furman took a 23-17 shots advantage, but the two squads tied with nine on-goal opportunities each.

    Senior Elisabeth Sullivan paced State with nine shots, six of those coming on target.

    Winship ended the night with five saves, while Paladin starter Rose Hull made three stops before giving way to Grisell.

    Mississippi State wraps the pre-SEC slate Sunday, hosting Jackson State at 1 p.m. in the Bulldog Classic finale. The first 100 fans receive free ice cream as part of Sundae Sunday, and fathers are encouraged to bring their daughters to the first Daddy-Daughter Day.

    Rebels Down Kennesaw State 2-1

    KENNESAW, Ga. - Mandy McCalla converted her first penalty kick of the season, putting the go-ahead goal in the net in the 68th minute to give Ole Miss (5-1-1) a 2-1 win over Kennesaw State (2-4-0) Friday night.

    "We played really well in the first half, but unfortunately didn't get a goal," said Ole Miss head coach Matthew Mott. "We really battled in the second half to go down a goal and then respond with two goals of our own. I'm proud of the character of this team for getting down and then continuing to fight and come back.

    "We're ready to get home on Sunday night against Memphis," Mott said. "We're excited to get home after four straight weeks on the road and five of our first seven matches away from home - especially the last four straight."

    The Rebels got some great looks early in the match with most of the contest played on the Owls' side of the field through the first 25 minutes. Ole Miss got a handful of shots on goal, but all missed the mark before Kennesaw State would get a pair of shots off that hit the crossbar to keep the game scoreless.

    Despite the distinct difference in possession time and out-shooting the Owls 6-to-3, the Rebels were unable to convert on the shots or seven corner kicks and at halftime the teams remained scoreless.

    The stalemate continued early in the second half until a foul in the box against the Rebels set up a penalty kick for the home-standing Owls in the 57th minute. Suzanna Arafa took the kick for the Owls, hitting it to give Kennesaw State the lead.

    It was short-lived, however, as moments later Olivia Harrison dribbled through four defenders into the box and scored with a shot from the near side that evened things at 1-1 in the 58th minute.

    The Rebels moved in front 10 minutes later when McCalla converted on a penalty kick to put Ole Miss on top 2-1. The senior captain took a free kick from the far side that almost went in the net. One of the Rebel players making a run was pushed down in the box, however, setting up the penalty kick off the foul that gave Ole Miss the lead.

    Souza then appeared to extend the lead for the Rebels with a corner kick in the 86th minute. Souza took the corner on the near side and bent the ball in over the head of the keeper on the far side, seeming to give Ole Miss the 3-1 lead.

    The goal was waved off, however, after the officials conferred and left the Rebels with a one-goal lead on the Owls with four minutes to play. It was ruled that following a sub prior to the corner kick, the official had signaled the ball in-play before all the players involved in the substitution had made it off the field.

    Ole Miss would hold off Kennesaw State from down the stretch and pick up the 2-1 win.

    The Rebels will return to action Sunday night when Ole Miss plays host to Memphis at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

    Mizzou Soccer Dominates Eastern Illinois to Record 3-0 Shutout

    COLUMBIA, Mo. - The Mizzou soccer team recorded its third shutout of the season in a dominating 3-0 win over Eastern Illinois Friday night at Walton Stadium. Missouri had a 29-6 shot advantage in the game, including an 11-4 edge in shots on goals. The Tigers improved to 4-3 on the season with the victory, while the Panthers fell to 0-6.

    With her second solo shutout of the year, redshirt junior goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein now ranks tied for second on Mizzou's career shutouts list with 14. Tasha Dittamore holds the Tiger record of 17.

    The Missouri offense wasted no time as the Tigers scored on their first shot of the game just 1:49 into the match. Junior Kaysie Clark played a ball into the box to sophomore Reagan Russell, who passed back to freshman Melanie Donaldson. Donaldson ran onto the pass and blasted a 20-yard rocket into the upper right corner of the back of the net. The tally was the second of the year for Donaldson, while Russell picked up her first career assist.

    Senior Dominique Richardson notched her second goal of the season in the 21st minute to put the home team on top 2-0. Clark dribbled the ball into the box and found Richardson stationed by the left post. The senior one-timed a two-yard shot past the Eastern Illinois goalie and into the net. The goal was the 15th of Richardson's career, which ties her with senior Alyssa Diggs as tops among current players. Clark tallied her second assist on the season and is now tied for the team lead with eight points.
    Missouri continued to put pressure on the Panther defense but could not breakthrough again until the 59th minute of play. Sophomore Candace Johnson gave the Tigers a 3-0 edge after receiving a ball from Richardson, dribbling around a defender and blasting a low shot past Eastern Illinois' keeper. The goal was the first of the year for Johnson, while Richardson posted her second assist on the season.

    Sauerwein made four saves in goal for the Tigers.

    Missouri next travels to Portland, Ore., for a match against the No. 17 Portland Pilots on Sunday, Sept. 15 at 2:30 p.m. PT (4:30 p.m. CT).

    Vanderbilt drops a heartbreaker to Samford in 2OT

    HOMEWOOD, Ala. - After netting the equalizer in the 69th minute, the Vanderbilt women's soccer team fought hard for the next 39 minutes until Samford put one in the back of the net off the foot of Michelle Moll to secure the 3-2, double overtime, win.

    "We knew going into the game it'd be a battle with Samford. They are a great team and they are very well coached," said VU head coach Derek Greene. "They did a good job of putting a lot of numbers behind us making it tough on our forwards to get open looks. We also should have played more direct in the first half, we did in the second half and it payed off."

    The with the loss the Commodores drop to 2-3-2 on the season, with their final non-conference game against Georgia State coming up on Sunday.

    Samford got on the board first, but Vanderbilt answered in the 34th minute. Simone Charley took the first of her two shots on the night but it was deflected out but Claire Romaine was there from seven yards out to clean up and put the ball in the back of the net.

    The Bulldogs would go up right before the half when Trine Taule got to a loose ball in the box and finished from 10 yards out over the head of Vandy keeper Olivia Liebman.

    Vanderbilt held Samford scoreless in the second half of play and scored the equalizer in the 69th minute to tie the game at two. Cheyna Williams scored her seventh of the season when she gathered the ball from 12 yards out and rifled the ball into the back of the net beating the Samford keeper.

    Both teams would go back and forth for the remainder of the half into the first overtime, neither team able to capitalize on their opportunities.
    "We didn't create as many opportunities to scores as we would have liked, but when we did create them we weren't able to capitalize," Greene said. "They [Samford] worked hard all night to get back and defend us."

    Then with just two minutes remaining in the game Samford was awarded a free kick from 25 yards out. The shot was sent deep into the box and glanced off a Vandy defender before Moll snuck the ball past Liebman, handing the Commodores a heartbreaking loss.

    The `Dores will travel back to the friendly confines of the VU Soccer Complex for their final non-conference game against Georgia State. The game gets underway at 1:00 pm.