SEC Soccer Recap: Sunday, September 15 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Recap: Sunday, September 15

    South Carolina 1, East Carolina 0
    LSU 1, Rice 0
    Georgia 5, Coll. of Charleston 1
    Kentucky 4, West Virginia 2
    Mississippi St. 4, Jackson St. 2
    Vanderbilt 4, Georgia State 0
    Alabama 1, UAB 0
    Ole Miss 3, Memphis 0
    Texas A&M 4, Cal Poly 0
    WKU 0, Tennessee 0
    Florida 1, USF 1
    Long Beach State 2, Auburn 1
    TCU 2, Arkansas 1 (2OT)
    Portland 3, Missouri 2


    No. 18/9 Gamecocks Defeat East Carolina 1-0

    COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Despite controlling today's match for the majority of the 90 minutes, No. 18/9 South Carolina (7-0-1) narrowly slipped past East Carolina (3-3-2), 1-0, at Stone Stadium by way of junior defender Christa Neary's second-half goal. The win finishes off an undefeated non-conference campaign for the Gamecocks, the first since 2009 and marks only the third time in program history that the Garnet and Black have been unbeaten through its first eight games.

    “I think it shows that we've played very well in the first part of the season, even like today when we couldn't find the back of the net as many times as we would have liked, we found a way to win in non-conference play with another shutout,” Head Coach Shelley Smith said of the undefeated run through the early part of the season. “I'm proud of the team's effort today. We're excited to go into conference play in the position we're at.”

    From start to finish the Gamecocks appeared to be on a mission today, camping out in the Pirates end for much of the game as they dominated the shot chart 17-1 and held an 8-0 edge in shots on goal.

    In the eighth minute, freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan caught ECU keeper Saundra Baron out of position and took an attempt toward the right post but it landed just wide. Ten minutes later, freshman forward Sophie Groff had the ball land at her feet just inside the six-yard box where she ripped a shot off the right post. The attempt caromed off to the far side where sophomore midfielder Raina Johnson took a crack at the rebound, but Baron was there to rob the put back.

    In the 29th minute, freshman forward Daija Griffin got space from her defender on the right side before slipping in a cross to fellow freshman Vanessa Kovar who directed the ball toward goal from the six, but Baron was able to keep the ball from crossing the line as she fell backward toward her goal.

    Griffin's havoc wasn't done in the first half as the freshman found the ball at her feet from eight yards out, but again, the ECU defense came up with another big stop as the ball was blocked away by a defender before it could find the back of the net.

    Despite a half time stat line that was 10-1 in shots, and the ball seeing very little time in the Gamecocks end, the two sides remind knotted up at the half at 0-0. The offensive aggression remind the same in the second half for the Gamecocks as they continuously sent one probing ball after another into the Pirate penalty box.

    In the 67th minute, the pursuit finally paid off. Groff, who already found the right post earlier in the day, hit another rocket from short-range, but this time found the crossbar unkind to her attempt. The shot clanged off the bar and looked to be out of danger for ECU. Neary though, got the ball 20 yards out and looked to send a dangerous ball back into the box. The junior's ball though ended up finding the back of the net as it curled inside the far left post past a helpless Baron who was unable to find it in congested box.

    Neary looked to double her goal output two minutes later, but a long, lofted attempt narrowly found the topside of the crossbar and bounced out of play.

    With the game seemingly locked up, Johnson put in one last effort to double the lead for the Gamecocks as headed ball dropped to on her the left side of the six. The sophomore put an attempt on frame, but a Pirate defender was able knock it away before it could cross the line.

    With the non-conference season completed, South Carolina will now turn its attention toward the Southeastern Conference. The Gamecocks will open SEC play on Aug. 20 as they travel to Georgia (7-1-0) for a 7 p.m., showdown.

    Season tickets for women's soccer, which includes admission to all home games, are currently on sale in the Gamecock Ticket Office. Fans can purchase tickets online at, or by calling 1-800-4SC-FANS. Cost for season tickets for women's soccer is $25 for adults and $10 for youth (17 and under).


    BATON ROUGE -- The Tigers took advantage of one of their five corner kicks in the match in the 70th minute of play when senior Alex Ramsey’s first career goal proved to be the game-winner as the LSU Soccer team took home a 1-0 victory over the Rice Owls in its non-conference finale on Sunday afternoon at the Rice Soccer Stadium.

    After the initial service by freshman midfielder Emma Fletcher was cleared way, sophomore midfielder Heather Magee headed the ball back into the box creating a scramble in front of the net.

    While standing near the left post, Ramsey found herself on the receiving end of Magee’s header as she chipped home the game-winner at the 69:24 mark for her first career goal in LSU’s 1-0 victory. Senior goalkeeper Megan Kinneman led the defensive effort down the stretch as she finished the match with six saves for the victory in LSU’s non-conference finale.

    The Tigers (4-3-1) leveled their series with the Owls (2-3-2) at 1-1-1 and are now unbeaten in each of their last two matches after the sides played to a 1-1 draw in Baton Rouge a year ago.

    “It’s a big win for our team as we now look forward to SEC play next weekend,” said LSU head coach Brian Lee. “It was just one of those typical Sunday afternoon games on the road where you just have to fight for the full 90 minutes to grind out a result. That’s what we did today. I’m proud of our players for bouncing back from a tough game on Friday night to get the win this afternoon.”

    Freshman Megan Lee nearly gave the Tigers an early lead in the ninth minute with her effort in pressuring Rice goalkeeper Amy Czyz. As Czyz attempted to put the ball back into play, Lee charged into the penalty area and leaped high into the air to deflect the ball off the right post before following with a shot into the side netting.

    In a first half void of many chances by either side, the Owls came close to breaking the deadlock on the stroke of halftime on a scramble in the box that saw senior defender Hayley Williams fire a 10-yard strike in space directly in front of goal. Kinneman read it perfectly and charged off her line to defend as she deflected Williams’ shot out of danger as the half expired.

    The Tigers threatened to break the scoreless deadlock early in the second half even before Ramsey scored the only goal of the match in the 70th minute of play.

    Just three minutes into the second frame, the Tigers went on the offensive led by freshman striker Summer Clarke with a brilliant run into the box down the right side. Clarke played a square ball to sophomore winger Fernanda Pina running free in the middle of the area, but Pina’s one-time shot was saved brilliantly by Czyz diving to her right. Freshman Emma Fletcher followed with an eight-yard strike on the rebound, but Czyz was again up to the challenge as she leaped high into the air and punched the ball over the crossbar and out of play for a corner kick.

    Clarke again led the charge in the 64th minute while linking with senior Nina Anderson in a two-on-three attack. Clarke played Anderson through the Rice back line, but Anderson’s sliding effort from 10 yards sailed just wide of the right post as she met Czyz charging off her line to defend the attack.

    Clarke then came within inches of netting her third goal of the season in the 83rd minute following a poor goal kick by Czyz to put the ball back into play. Czyz mishit the goal kick that found the feet of Clarke open at the edge of the midfield circle. The Canadian international then sprinted past a Rice defender and pinged a shot off the crossbar from the top of the box as Czyz raced back to defend her own goal.

    Kinneman also provided the defensive heroics in the dying minutes of regulation with the Tigers clinging to their 1-0 advantage as the Owls turned up the offensive pressure.

    In the 88th minute, a failed clearance by the LSU defense found the feet of Rice’s junior midfielder Quinny Truong standing just outside the top of the box. Truong fired a curling left-footed strike that Kinneman denied initially, but was too hot for the Tiger goalkeeper to handle as it rolled toward the goal line. Kinneman raced back and slapped the ball out of play for a corner kick that the Owls would not convert.

    It was one of six saves made by Kinneman on the afternoon as she kept her sixth clean sheet of the season while moving into sole possession of second place on LSU’s all-time list with her 16th career shutout in goal.

    “It’s like a second season for our team now that we move into conference play,” Lee said. “The SEC has really taken a big step forward over the last couple of years as one of the top conferences in the country, so we’ll have to play with great effort each and every time we step onto the field to get the results we want. We have a great challenge right out of the gate playing at Vanderbilt next week.”

    With the 2013 non-conference season now in the books, the Tigers will now begin Southeastern Conference play next weekend with a trip to Nashville, Tenn., to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores on Saturday night at 7 p.m. CT at the VU Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn. LSU scored a 1-0 overtime victory over the Commodores in Baton Rouge a season ago.

    Georgia Routs College of Charleston, 5-1

    ATHENS, Ga. -- The Georgia soccer team closed out its non-conference slate with a convincing 5-1 win over the College of Charleston Sunday afternoon at the UGA Soccer Stadium, with freshman Marion Crowder becoming the first UGA player to score four goals in a game since 2003.

    Georgia snagged its seventh straight victory for just the second time in program history, as the Bulldogs improved to 7-1 on the season and dropped the Cougars to 2-6. Additionally, the 2013 team joins the 1999 and 2009 teams as the only three squads in UGA history to win seven games out of their first eight. Georgia continues to improve on its best start to a season under fourth-year head coach Steve Holeman, and the best overall since the 2009 group began 7-0-1.

    The Bulldogs scored three of their five goals down a player, as freshman Lauren Tanner was assessed a red card in the 40th minute and was sent off.

    “It was incredible to see the team set the tone like it did today,” Holeman said. “Before the game we talked to the team about how we’ve been going into halftime too many times 0-0. We wanted to score early and we did. We never thought it would all happen a player down, but a two-goal lead helped. I felt like we did a fantastic job of keeping the ball and possessing, and keeping the ball on the ground. And we certainly improved on finishing our chances.”

    Georgia and the College of Charleston played 10 minutes of scoreless soccer before Crowder broke through for her first of the day, flicking one far post off a pass from Laura Eddy at close range. Eddy and freshman Rachel Garcia earned a double assist on the play, as Garcia fed Eddy, whose second pass set up Crowder’s shot. Crowder pushed the Georgia lead to 2-0 with her second of the day and fourth of the season in the 21st minute, making good on another opportunity in the box as she finished on a through ball from Garcia.

    At the half, the Bulldogs maintained the 2-0 lead and had out-shot the Cougars 15-4 through 45:00.

    Crowder would tack on her third of the day and complete the hat trick in the 55th minute, as she received a pass up from Bella Hartley and had her shot deflected in off a College of Charleston defender to make the lead 3-0 – the first hat trick for a Georgia player since 2011.

    Crowder was back for more in the 58th minute, collecting a loose ball after an Andie Fontanetta cross was misplayed by the keeper. Georgia got its fifth goal in the 60th minute as Fontanetta lofted a corner kick service inside, where Garcia challenged her defender and Hartley was there to fire home the loose ball to make it 5-0.

    The Cougars were able to get on the board in the 78th minute, as leading scorer McCallie Jones made good on a penalty kick chance to snap Georgia’s historic shutout streak at 652:37 – the second-longest such streak in program history behind only the 1999 squad that opened its season with eight streak shutouts. The Bulldogs still have not allowed a goal in the run of play this season after allowing the PK today and a corner kick and free kick goal to Texas in the season opener.

    Georgia led in the shot column, 30-6, while Garcia finished with two assists and Eddy, Hartley, and Fontanetta each had one. Caitlin Woody picked up her seventh win of the year in goal for Georgia, making two saves. Crowder now leads the Bulldogs with six goals and one assist for 13 points.

    Georgia will open Southeastern Conference play next Friday night, welcoming 18th-ranked South Carolina to the UGA Soccer Stadium for a 7 p.m. meeting. With an Arkansas loss today, the Gamecocks are the only remaining unbeaten team in the SEC at 7-0-1.

    Gilliland’s Career-Best Match Leads UK Past No. 10 West Virginia

    MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- The University of Kentucky women’s soccer team got a career-best game from junior Arin Gilliland on Sunday afternoon, as the Lexington, Ky., native struck for two goals and two assists for a six-point match as the Wildcats rocked the No. 10 West Virginia Mountaineers in Morgantown, 4-2.

    “I learned that what we have been working on everyday, and our commitment to being a possession and attacking team are continuing to get better,” UK head coach Jon Lipstiz said. “I thought that we were ready from the opening whistle to press when we pressed, and to attack with numbers. This is a great win for our program and the goals that we have.”

    Gilliland wasted no time in scoring, as she scored just 10 seconds into the match, capitalizing on a WVU defensive miscue off the kickoff. The ball was played to Gilliland who then rifled a shot from atop the outside box past the keeper to the right. The goal for Gilliland was her second of the year in the first minute.

    Kentucky (6-1-1, 0-0-0 SEC) added to its lead in the 23rd minute when junior Stuart Pope notched her team-high seventh goal of the season, giving UK the 2-0 lead. Gilliland played Pope a ball into the central defense, in which she ran on,took a touch and split two defenders to score.

    West Virginia (4-2-2, 0-0-0 Big XII) answered in the first half and to close the gap to 2-1 on a goal from leading scorer Kate Schwindel. The ball was stolen from the UK defense and she went low-left of UK goalie Kayla King for the goal.

    After the halftime break, Kentucky came out on fire offensively, as freshman Zoe Swift rifled a ball from 25 yards out into the back of the net to re-up Kentucky’s lead to 3-1. Swift’s sixth tally of the season was a long strike in which she was played a ball from Gilliland. Swift took a few touches around the box and launched the goal to give UK the 3-1 edge.

    “I actually said at the half to (UK associate head coach) Michelle (Rayner) that we needed four goals,” Lipsitz said. “We understand that as soon as we scored the third goal in the second half, it gave us the opportunity to sit in anddefend long-range. Once we got up 3-1, we weren’t going to expose ourselves.”

    UK put the game away in the 66th minute when Swift was taken down inside the box, earning a penalty for Kentucky. Gilliland stepped up and calmly knocked in her second goal of the match and third of the season to the keeper’s right. The goal for Gilliland was her second penalty of the season, as she is now 2-2 on the year in penalty tries.

    The win for Kentucky is its first over a ranked team on the year and the first win over a top-10 team in the Lipsitz era. After starting the season 0-1-1, UK has rattled off six-straight wins leading into Southeastern Conference play.

    Kentucky ended up scoring on all four of the shots on goal it recorded, while only allowing WVU to record five shots on goal in the match.

    Kayla King continued to impress in the net, as the Louisville, Ky., native picked up her sixth win of the season to move to 6-1-1 on the year. King was only forced to make three saves on the afternoon.

    The six-straight wins for Kentucky is the most since the 2011 season, where UK started the season with six-straight wins.

    “I have said to people what (WVU head coach) Nikki Izzo-Brown and her staff have built is one of the most special things in the country,” Lipsitz said. “I think one of the things that means the most to our program is to come in and not just play well, but play well against a team that we respect so much. They’re just aren’t programs that we respect more than WVU and I know they’re going to have a great year.”

    The Wildcats will next travel to Auburn, Ala., as the SEC portion of the schedule begins on Friday night at 8:00 p.m. ET.

    For continuing coverage of UK women’s soccer, log on to

    Sullivan, Ten Broeke Combine To Lead Bulldogs Past Jackson State

    STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Elisabeth Sullivan and Annebel ten Broeke accounted for all four of Mississippi State’s goals Sunday afternoon as the Bulldogs wrapped the non-conference slate and the Bulldog Classic with a 4-2 win against Jackson State.

    Sullivan recorded the first hat trick since 2001 and added another assist to finish with a school second-most seven points.

    “It was fun to get back out here and play again after a tough game on Friday,” Sullivan said. “Honestly, Annebel did all the work. I was just there to hit it in. We are all so excited for the win today. It gives us momentum going into SEC play on Friday.”

    Ten Broeke assisted all three of Sullivan’s goals while adding her third of the season for a five-point tally that tied for sixth-most by a Bulldog.

    Like Sullivan, the Amsterdam, Netherlands, native’s three assists were the most since 2001 and tied for second-most in a game.

    “I think we had a great effort today as a team. We came back from the loss Friday, and that takes a lot of mental effort,” ten Broeke said. “Sully is a great player, and every time I play a ball to her, I know she’s going to make something of it. That happened three times today, but it’s always fun to make a goal myself also.”

    Ten Broeke was one of eight freshman starters for a Bulldog squad that improved to 3-4 overall heading into the SEC opener against Missouri Friday at the MSU Soccer Field. Jackson State fell to 0-7-1.

    “We talked about needing to have good things happen today in terms of getting prepared for conference play to start,” Aaron Gordon said. “We needed some positive things to happen, and Sullivan scoring, Annebel providing service and our team competing was good to see.”

    Sullivan and ten Broeke were tabbed to the Bulldog Classic All-Tournament Team along with sophomore defender Addie Tomlin.

    Sullivan and ten Broeke first connected 15 minutes in to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead. Starkville native Tiffany Huddleston collected her first Bulldog point as she served a ball into the box to ten Broeke, who flicked it on to Sullivan for the shot past Jackson State goalie Kylie Christian.

    “Anytime those two can pass to each other in the final third of the field, good things are going to happen. It was great to get a win and score some goals. More importantly, it was good eight freshmen started today. Usually I wouldn’t say that’s great, but we got a lot of valuable experience that we needed with our team being as ravaged by injuries as it has,” Gordon said. “We needed people to step up, and our freshmen got some opportunities today and made the most of it.”

    Ten Broeke found Sullivan again two minutes later as she had a ball deflect off Christian, who had six saves, to Sullivan for the rebound that put State in front 2-0.

    The duo combined again in the 30th minute to put the Bulldogs in front 3-0. This time, though, it was Sullivan taking a serve from Chelsi Bender and flicking it forward to ten Broeke, who made a move past Christian and tapped it home.

    Jackson State got a goal back with seven seconds left before halftime. The Tigers worked into the Bulldog final third, and Kimberlie Hernandez sent a cross into the box that deflected off MSU goalie Meara Johnson’s hands and trickled into the net.

    Johnson stopped a pair of shots in her first-career start.

    Sullivan completed the hat trick four minutes into the second half. Ten Broeke took a pass from fellow rookie Savannah Boswell and found Sullivan with a ball over the top for a strike to the near post.

    For Boswell, the assist was her first-career point in her first start as a Bulldog.

    Jackson State added a final goal in the 79th minute as Sie’Yara Wells took a failed clearance from MSU and sent a one-timer into the top shelf.

    State out-shot the Tigers 15-10, but held a decisive 10-4 advantage in on-goal chances.

    Furman and Southern Miss were declared co-champions of the tournament after playing to a 1-1 draw in the opener.

    Fans can follow Bulldog soccer on Twitter (@HailStateSOC), Facebook (HailStateSOC) and Instagram (HailStateSOC). Mississippi State athletics can also be found on FanCred by going to

    VU Soccer Shuts Out Georgia State, 4-0

    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Vanderbilt women's soccer team closed out their non-conference schedule in style Sunday, posting a 4-0 shut out over Georgia State. The shut out is the first of the 2013 season, as well as being the first win at the VU Soccer Complex since 2011.

    Vanderbilt (3-3-2) had control from the opening whistle out-shooting GSU, 23-12.

    The scoring started in the 13th minute when Cheyna Williams received the ball at the top of the 18 from Sasha Gray. Williams created space off the spin-move going to her left. She then used a powerful left foot to rifle the ball past the diving Brie Haynes into the right-hand corner of the net.

    The Commodores continued bringing the pressure in the first half. Gray was the next to get on the board for Vanderbilt. She got the ball inside the box on the through ball from Williams. Gray then beat the keeper one-on-one to give Vandy the 2-0 advantage.

    Gena Inbusch scored the final goal of the half for the Commodores on an assist from Gray. Inbusch beat the back line of GSU and took the goalie one-on-one, slipping the ball five-hole for the 3-0 lead.

    Vanderbilt got a lot of time out of their substitutes in the second-half, but that didn't mean an end to the scoring.

    Williams assisted on her second of the day when she had her shot from six yards out saved by Haynes, but the ball rolled right in front of the net for an easy tap in by Simone Charley to secure the 4-0 lead.

    Vandy would continue to hold possession for the majority of the half, staving off the few Panther shot attempts that came through.

    Olivia Liebman and Shannon Morrish combined for the shut out, picking up two saves apiece.

    The Commodores will now look ahead to conference play and will host LSU on Saturday September 21 at 7 p.m., from the VU Soccer Complex.

    Late Goal Lifts Alabama Soccer Team Past UAB, 1-0

    TUSCALOOSA, Ala -- Alabama sophomore midfielder Merel Van Dongen scored the game-winning goal at the 85:38 mark to lead the Crimson Tide past UAB, 1-0, on Sunday night at the Alabama Soccer Complex.

    With the win Alabama improves to 2-5 overall, which includes a 2-1 mark in home games, while the Blazers fall to 6-2 on the campaign.

    UA’s lone goal came off a direct free kick from senior Kendall Khanna, which found the head of Van Dongen. The Amsterdam, Netherlands, native drilled a header, which hit off the far post and ricocheted into the back of the net.

    Van Dongen has now scored all four goals on the year for the Crimson Tide. Goalkeeper Emily Rusk earned her first career shutout, making one save in the winning effort.

    The Crimson Tide was in control for most of the match, outshooting UAB, 28-8. Van Dongen and Molly Atherton led the onslaught with each recording five shots on the night.

    Alabama will next be in action when it opens Southeastern Conference play at No. 9 Florida on Friday night at 6 p.m. CT (7 p.m. ET).

    Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaSoccer on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

    Rebels Post 3-0 Shutout Of Memphis

    OXFORD, Miss. -- Junior goalkeeper Kelly McCormick posted a big save on a penalty kick to turn the momentum into the home team's favor on Sunday night and the offense picked her up the rest of the way as Ole Miss (6-1-1) posted a 3-0 shutout of Memphis (5-2-0).

    McCormick posted the save on the penalty kick in the 12th minute when Memphis' Valerie Sanderson lined up the kick after a foul in the box. The Tiger player took the shot, but McCormick made the right decision and gathered the ball up on the dive to keep Memphis off the board.

    The offense came alive from there, answering a little over five minutes later when Mandy McCalla buried a shot in the net in the 18th minute to put Ole Miss on the board. McCalla took a pass from Bethany Bunker in the middle of the box, turned and shot, driving the ball past the goalkeeper for the Rebels' first goal of the night.

    McCalla notched what proved to be the game-winner, while Rafaelle Souza added two more goals in the second half to put the game out of reach.

    Both players have seven goals on the season for the Rebels.

    "It was a great game for us against a quality opponent in Memphis," said Ole Miss head coach Matt Mott. "We were glad to be back home and it's big to get a shutout over a team like that. When Mandy and Rafaelle (Souza) get a chance, they can be dangerous and are quick to take the opportunity to put the ball in the goal."

    After out-shooting the Tigers 6-to-3 in the first half, Ole Miss came out aggressive again in the second half, but with more focus. Though the home team only took three shots, the Rebels notched goals on two of them for the final 3-0 margin of victory.

    Souza scored the first of her two goals in the 51st minute when she took a pass from McCalla on the far side of the box and drove it into the net on the near side to put Ole Miss on top 2-0.

    The senior wasn't down, however, scoring against moments later with another goal in the 53rd minute. This time, Souza took the ball on the near side as two quick tap passes from Jennifer Miller and Olivia Harrison skirted the ball around the top of the box to Souza who drove it in for the 3-0 lead.

    Ole Miss would hold the Tigers off the board the rest of the way as the defense continued to shut down opportunities on the way to the 3-0 victory.

    The Rebels will return to action on Friday night when Ole Miss opens Southeastern Conference play on the road against the Arkansas Razorbacks. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

    No. 20 Aggies Corral Mustangs in a 4-0 Win

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- The No. 20 Texas A&M Aggies exploded for four second-half goals, including three on set pieces, to register a 4-0 win over the Cal Poly at Ellis Field on Sunday evening.

    With the win, Texas A&M improved to 5-2-1 on the season. Cal Poly dropped to 4-2-0.

    After a scoreless first half, the Aggies pounced on the Mustangs early in the second half. In the fourth minute of the stanza, the Aggies reset the offense after a corner kick and Shea Groom sent the ball to Monogue at the left corner of the penalty box and Monogue sent a cross into Bianca Brinson at the top of the six-yard box. Brinson, who was decleated by a Cal Poly defender, knocked the ball to Keester and the freshman roofed a shot from the penalty spot for the 1-0 lead.

    Six minutes later, Meghan Streight launched a free kick in from 20 yards out to the right post. The shot was saved by a leaping Cal Poly netminder, Alyssa Giannetti, but she was unable to control the ball and Monogue seized the loose ball and sent it to the back of the net from six yards.

    Groom added her fourth goal of the weekend on a penalty kick in the 57th minute of action. Groom set up the penalty kick by busting out on a breakaway down the center of the pitch. Cal Poly defender Braelyn Fetsch took Groom down in the box and was subsequently issued a red card. The goalkeeper guessed one way and Groom went the other to convert on the penalty kick for the 3-0 lead.

    The cavalcade of goals ended in the 69th minute. Karlie Mueller weaved down the right side of the pitch and dumped a pass into Monogue 20 yards out. The Mustangs’ backup goalkeeper Heather Rouhier had drifted to the right post and Monogue capitalized by launching a shot from 18 yards out to the left of Rouhier for her sixth goal of the season.

    The Aggies dominated the second-half stats, posting a 21-2 edge in shots, 10-1 margin in shots-on-goal and a 7-2 advantage in corner kick opportunities.

    Monogue ended the game with 35 career goals to pass Kristen Strutz (34 -2000-03) for seventh place on A&M’s all-time goals list.

    Jordan Day made two saves in 68 minutes of action and Renee McDermott played the final 22 minutes to give Texas A&M its third shutout of the season.

    The Aggies’ backline of Mueller, Streight, Rachel Lenz, Leigh Edwards and substitutes Jackie Tondl and Grace Wright held the nation’s leading goal scorer Elise Krieghoff to just two shots and one shot-on-goal for the game. Krieghoff entered the contest with 10 goals through five matches.

    Texas A&M begins SEC play next Friday when the Aggies travel to Knoxville for a 6 pm contest against the Tennessee Volunteers.


    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Despite a 36-10 shot advantage over Western Kentucky, Tennessee settled for a 0-0 tie with the Hilltoppers in double overtime on Sunday afternoon at Regal Soccer Stadium.

    UT is now 5-2-1 on the year and Sunday's match was the team's first overtime contest of the season. WKU is now 1-3-3.

    Hannah Wilkinson registered 10 shots and two shots on goal over 106 minutes of play. Caroline Brown had five shots with two on goal and Susan Ferguson had four shots with two on goal.

    Julie Eckel (5-2-1) had one save and recorded the 21st shutout of her UT career - good for sole possession of second place on the team's all-time list behind only Vanessa Phillips-Bosshart's32. Allie Sirna and Megan Erskine had major roles in the shutout, playing the full 110 minutes.

    Western Kentucky goalkeeper Nora Abolins logged 11 saves while playing the full 110 minutes at the opposite end of the field.

    UT's best chance to score in the second overtime came in the 104th minute when Cali Hutson's header from a Wilkinson cross went right into the hands of Abolins.

    Tennessee came out firing in the first overtime period. Ferguson broke loose on a breakaway in the 91st minute but booted a ball high over the goal. In the 92nd minute, Brown fired a shot from 12 yards out on the left side of the goal but Abolins made a diving save to her right. In the 93 minute, Wilkinson had a wide header on a cross deep in the box from Ferguson.

    In the second half, Tennessee registered 19 shots to Western Kentucky's three, including several early on. Megan Erskinehad a shot saved by Abolins in the 46th minute.

    In the 57th minute, Susan Ferguson had a shot sail high over the crossbar. Three minutes later, Abolins stopped a CC Cobbshot from outside the box. In the 61st minute, Brown sent one over the crossbar. Wilkinson fired a shot in the 69th minute from outside the box that Abolins corralled for a save.

    As regulation winded down, Wilkinson had an 89th minute header off a corner kick by Cobb go high over the crossbar.

    The teams played a scoreless first half with Tennessee having a 10-3 shot advantage and a 7-1 edge on corner kicks.

    UT had a number of good opportunities to score in the first half, but could not seem to find the back of the net. In the 10th minute, Cobb had a shot from 25 yards out sail wide left. In the 18th minute, Brown had a turn and shoot from the top of the box that Abolins grabbed right in the middle. Wilkinson had a header off a corner by Cheyenne Spade go wide in the 29th minute and had another shot in the box saved by Abolins.

    After a 0-0 standoff at the end of regulation, Tennessee headed to its first overtime game of the season. UT's Eckel and WKY's Abolins both recorded a save in the first OT, but neither team was able to make a shot and the game was sent to a second OT.

    Tennessee opens SEC play on Sept. 20 against Texas A&M. The match is slated for a 7 p.m. start at Regal Soccer Stadium.

    No. 9 Florida soccer and USF play to 1-1 tie Sunday in Tampa

    TAMPA, Fla. -- The No. 9 Florida soccer team tied South Florida 1-1 2OT Sunday evening at the Corbett Soccer Stadium. It was the first overtime match for the Gators this season and the third for the Bulls.

    The Gators found themselves trailing early when USF senior Sharla Passariello slid to touch Sarah Miller's end line pass to score in the sixth minute.

    Despite many good looks at the goal, it took until the 74th minute for the Gators to find the equalizer. From deep in the USF half, sophomore Claire Falknor sent a cross that skimmed through the traffic in front the goal mouth to find junior Havana Solaun waiting just above the far post. Solaun's shot scored from six yards to knot the score at 1-all.

    Tonight's match ended the Gators' non-conference slate as they open defense of their Southeastern Conference title Friday with a home contest versus Alabama.

    Auburn Falls to Long Beach State in OT, 2-1

    AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn women’s soccer team was defeated by Long Beach State, 2-1, in overtime on Sunday afternoon at the Auburn Soccer Complex. With the loss, the Tigers fall to 3-3-1 on the season.

    After a scoreless first half, the Tigers got the first goal of the game from freshman Casie Ramsier, her third of the season, and held the one-goal lead well into the second half.

    Unfortunately, Long Beach State scored the equalizer on a one-timer in the center of the box in the 55th minute, which ended up forcing overtime. Barely one minute into the extra period, the 49ers got the winner from Ashley Webb after an Auburn defensive error.

    “We played well in the second half,” Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa said. “We outplayed them in the second half with plenty of chances, so we felt great going into overtime. Unfortunately, we made one defensive error and it cost us the game. Long Beach is a quality team. You give them a chance like that, they’re going to finish it.”

    Auburn’s first scoring chance came in the 41st minute as Haley Roberson attempted to curl one past Long Beach State’s Kaci McCain on a fastbreak, but was kicked away.

    The Tigers had another opportunity just before halftime after earning a free kick 25 yards out. With just five seconds left, senior Bianca Sierra’s attempt went below the wall, but was just left of the frame.

    Four minutes into the second half, Auburn scored its first goal of the game from Ramsier. Junior Chelsea Gandy-Cromer crossed the ball into the penalty box, which was initially deflected by junior Tori Ball. Ramsier collected the deflection and placed it in the back of the net, extending her three-game scoring streak.

    Not long after, Long Beach State responded with a goal from Eileen Maes as the clock neared the 56-minute mark. After receiving a lead pass from Mimi Rangel, Maes was able to bend one past Auburn goalkeeper Alyse Scott for her third goal of the season. The goal was the final one of the half, forcing Auburn into overtime for the second time this season.

    Long Beach State ended the match in the first minute of overtime when Ashley Webb scored off a deflection on the left side of the goal box.

    Auburn tallied 12 shots in the match, with nine coming in the second half. The Tigers also recorded five corner kicks to Long Beach State’s zero.

    “We’ve come a long way,” Hoppa said. “Dealing with the injuries from Alex Massey and Ashley Kotero, it took some time to figure out how to replace those kids with subs and rotations, so I think we’ve come a long way from opening weekend. I feel good about the way we’re playing.

    Auburn will complete its six-match homestand next weekend. The Tigers will open Southeastern Conference play with a 7 p.m., Friday match against Kentucky before hosting Southern Miss at 2 p.m., Sunday. Both matches will be at the Auburn Soccer Complex and admission is free.

    No. 25 Razorbacks Suffer First Loss Of Season At TCU

    FORT WORTH, Texas -- Sophomore Lindsey Mayo notched her first goal of the season, but it was not enough as the No. 25 University of Arkansas soccer team (7-1) fell 2-1 in double overtime at TCU (3-4-1) on Sunday afternoon.

    "If you break the season into segments, this would bring us through the non-conference part,” head coach Colby Hale said. “Overall I thought it was good. We have a lot to work on, but we feel the schedule prepared us for just about anything heading into conference. Obviously we had some good wins and the team is playing well. We'll get back, recover and get better this week in preparation for Ole Miss on Friday. Every game we ask ourselves what we did well and we'll take confidence in that. And then what areas do we need to grow in. This game is no different. This group is a special group and I couldn't be more humbled to be part of it."

    Mayo broke the scoreless tie in the 56th minute of the game off of an assist from freshman Rachel Riggs. The goal marked the first of the season for Mayo and the fourth of her career.

    However, TCU would strike back in the 80th minute with a goal from Makenzie Koch to tie the score at 1-1. The goal by TCU would force Arkansas to play extra minutes for the fourth time this season. TCU would score in the first minute of the second overtime period to win the game and give Arkansas its first loss on the season.

    The loss marked the end of the Razorbacks seven-game win streak to start the season, which was the second-longest streak in program history. Arkansas is now 3-1 in overtime contests and has played six games decided by one goal.

    The Razorbacks return to the pitch to open the Southeastern Conference (SEC) season by hosting Ole Miss on Friday Sept. 20, at Razorback Field. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start

    For more information on Arkansas soccer, follow @RazorbackSoccer on Twitter.

    No. 17 Portland Defeats Mizzou Soccer, 3-2

    PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Mizzou soccer team led for much of the match but surrendered three second half goals to fall to the No. 17 Portland Pilots, 3-2, Sunday evening in Portland, Ore. The Tigers fell to 4-4 on the year, while the Pilots improved to 5-1-1.

    For the second consecutive game, freshman Melanie Donaldson struck in the second minute to give the Tigers an early 1-0 edge. Following a corner kick, senior Alyssa Diggs received the ball, turned and took a shot that was blocked. The loose ball found the foot of Donaldson, who unleashed a laser into the upper right corner of the net. The tally was Donaldson's third of the year and second in as many games. Diggs was credited with her second assist of the season.

    The Pilots began to assert themselves offensively but the Mizzou defense and redshirt junior goalkeeper McKenzie Sauerwein were up to the challenge. Sauerwein stopped five shots in the first half and came off her line a few times to end the attack before Portland could get a shot off.

    Four minutes into the second half, Portland looked to have a clear goal as Sauerwein slipped on the wet turf. But Sophomore Candace Johnson kicked away the attempt from the goal line.

    Portland tied it up in the 59th minute as the Pilots executed a counterattack. Portland's Emily Sippel blasted a shot from the top of the box that eluded Sauerwein for a 1-1 game.

    In the 77th minute, the Pilots took a 2-1 edge. Sauerwein made a point-blank save on a short shot but the rebound trickled toward the goal line. Mikayla Elmer tapped in the loose ball from one-yard out as the Pilots took the lead.

    Six minutes later, Portland added another goal to take a 3-1 lead with less than seven minutes left in the match.

    The Tigers cut their deficit to 3-2 with 1:42 left in the match as junior Taylor Grant notched her team leading fourth tally of the season. Diggs posted her second assist of the game on the play.

    Mizzou could not muster a game-tying goal in the final minute for the 3-2 Portland win.

    Over the course of the game, Portland had a 25-10 shots advantage, including an 11-5 edge in shots on goal.

    Sauerwein made eight saves in goal for the Tigers.

    Missouri opens Southeastern Conference action on Friday, Sept. 20 with a match against the Mississippi State Bulldogs at 7 p.m.