SEC Volleyball Blog – Week 2 – 9/26/2013
By: Phil Bush
SEC Digital Network
It’s Conference time.
We are ready for conference play, and it is going to be interesting.
Topics for this week:
• Conference strength and power rankings
• Key matches this week
• Compelling statistics
Conference Strength and Power Rankings
The current power ranks for SEC teams – out of 300+ Division I schools is:
27. Texas A&M
89. Ole Miss
118. South Carolina
120. Mississippi State
The average is 65.1. What that means in most directed terms:
1. The only conferences with higher average power ranks are:
a. Big Ten
b. Pac 12
2. Matches inside the conference will be VERY, very had to prepare for- especially for road teams. You will have to be prepared to go way above and beyond to win in the conference. I expect the translation of this will be a HUGE number of matches going four and five sets. Speaking of which:
Key Matches for the Week:
• Arkansas at Ole Miss – This match will be likely decided by defenses on both sides
• Kentucky at Auburn – Big match both ways. Auburn vs. yet another ranked team
• Georgia at LSU – Similar statistically, it is hard to go to Baton Rouge and win
• South Carolina at Tennessee – Hard road trip for South Carolina – coming from Missouri to play at Knoxville will hard – Tennessee’s defense could prove the difference
• Arkansas at Mississippi State – Can the Bulldogs shake off the notorious Gator Effect?
Watch these matches and see how the teams start up their First Conference Matches of the year. I will be interested to see which teams have prepared themselves well for the season by playing very tough pre-conference opponents and how that translates into conference play.
We will look at these matches next week to see how things played out.
• Missouri and Florida have two high powered offenses – opposing teams be aware.
• LSU is blocking balls at a big rate! It will be tough to put a ball down on these Tigers
• Mississippi State is using a combination of good serving and good back row play as the season starts up, and their record so far reflects that.
As I will always say, if you have questions or suggested topics for The Rotation, please let me know.