SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 27 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Today: Friday, September 27

    Friday Soccer RESULTS
    Arkansas 3, Kentucky 0
    South Carolina 2, Auburn 1
    Georgia 1, Missouri 0
    Tennessee 1, LSU 1
    Alabama 5, Vanderbilt 2
    Florida 4, Ole Miss 1
    Texas A&M 8, Mississippi State 0


    Razorbacks Blank No. 14 Kentucky, 3-0, In SEC Road Opener

    LEXINGTON, Ky. – Highlighted by its fifth shutout of the season, the University of Arkansas (8-2, 1-1) soccer team picked up its third win ever over a ranked opponent on Friday night with a 3-0 victory at No. 14 Kentucky (7-2-1, 1-1) in its SEC road opener.

    Sophomore Ashleigh Ellenwood scored her fifth goal of the season in the 29th minute off of an assist from junior Jeriann Okoro, her first of the season. The Razorbacks would hold Kentucky scoreless throughout the rest of the first half despite facing six shots.

    The Razorbacks would keep the offense going in the second half, forcing the Wildcats to score an own goal in the 56th minute after a corner kick by junior Tyler Allen, who served the ball into the box. Okoro would add the icing on the cake in the 79th minute to bring the score to 3-0.

    This is obviously a good win,” head coach Colby Hale said. “I thought our players executed the game plan well, the backline was excellent and Carter cleaned up anything that needed cleaning up. I was happy to get the shutout for them. The midfield was great in transition and the forwards just applied so much pressure. Kentucky is a top 15 program and to win by such a convincing margin on the road really says a lot about this group and what kind of program they are committed to being. We will enjoy this win tonight and then get ready for another nationally ranked team on Sunday.”

    The win marks the second time in program history that the Razorbacks have beaten a ranked opponent on the road and the third win over a ranked opponent during coach Hale’s era. Previously, Kentucky was the Razorbacks first-ever win over a ranked opponent when the Wildcats came to Fayetteville, Ark. ranked No. 18 in the land before losing to the Razorbacks by a score of 3-2.

    With the fifth shut-out victory of the season, freshman keeper Cameron Carter is now tied at No. 8 in program history in that category.

    The Razorbacks return to the pitch on Sunday, Sept. 29, at No. 20 South Carolina. The match is slated for a noon start.  

    No. 22/20 Gamecocks Down Auburn, 2-1

    COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina (8-1-1, 1-1-0) picked up its first conference win of the season tonight, defeating Auburn (4-5-1, 0-2-0), 2-1, in the team’s SEC home opener in front of 1,778 fans, the largest crowd of the 2013 season at Stone Stadium.

    “When you’re at home, you have to take advantage of that,” South Carolina head Coach Shelley Smith said. “You have to try to get all of the points you can to make the postseason so that was huge. It’s a tough road; you always expect good competition. Auburn is a good team. I thought we did really well to get the win.”

    The Gamecocks came out flying early as a quick corner in the 2nd minute from freshman midfielder Chelsea Drennan found the head of defender Taylor Leach. The redshirt junior rose up over her marker and put a powerful header on target, forcing Auburn goalkeeper Alicen Wright to come up with a big stop early in the match.

    Just under six minutes later though, senior striker Danielle Au found the back of the net for the Garnet and Black. Standing 30 yards out, Drennan slotted a ball to right channel to Au who calmly got space from a Tiger defender and drilled a shot to the left side out of Wright’s reach.

    The pressure from the home side continued throughout the first half as the Gamecocks were continuously earning corner and corner to the tune of seven throughout the first 45 minutes.

    One shot after another came from Carolina, but time and time again, either Wright or the Tiger defense were able to get into position to keep the score at 1-0 going into the half.

    Auburn nearly leveled the game in the 51st minute as striker Cassie Ramsier forced Gamecock junior keeper Sabrina D’Angelo to come up with a crucial game-saving stop. Tiger forward Chelsea Gandy-Comer took a shot from the penalty mark that was deflected to the left side to Ramsier who hit a low shot to the right side. D’Angelo laid-out and got her fingertips on the ball as it had eyes for the far post. The junior quickly got back up and corralled the loose ball before a Tiger in the area could pounce on the rebound.

    In the 63rd minute, great one-two play from Au and midfielder Stevi Parker just outside the Tiger box got the sophomore free, but her attempt sailed high over the bar. Parker quickly put the play behind her as minutes later she doubled Gamecocks lead.

    Standing just on Auburn’s side of the field, junior defender Andie Romness sent a seemingly harmless rolling ball deep into the Tiger end, but it slipped through their backline. Parker alertly reacted to the ball and ran onto before quickly striking a low liner to the left side of the goal past Wright.
    In the 79th minute, senior midfielder Gabrielle Gilbert had a brief chance to extend the Gamecock lead as a ball fell to her just inside the six-yard box. A hard shot ensued but a Tiger defender was able to get there just in time to block it out across the end line.

    Shots kept coming in the final 10 minutes from Carolina, but none were able to find the back of the net. Auburn capitalized late and was able to cut the lead in half with just under two minutes remaining. Midfielder Samantha Solaru got to the end line and whipped a cross into Ramsier. The forward got her head onto the ball and popped it up into the air. D’Angelo faded back, but the ball was able to drop down under the bar and over her glove.

    Despite the goal, Carolina was able to dig down and keep the ball out of their end and hold on for its eighth win of the season and sixth at home. The Gamecocks held a 16-11 advantage in shots, while putting seven on frame. Au led the team with four shots, while D’Angelo produced a trio of saves.

    The Gamecocks will be back at Stone Stadium Sunday afternoon as they host Arkansas (8-2-0, 1-1-0) at 1 p.m.

    Georgia Soccer Snags 1-0 Road Win At Missouri

    COLUMBIA, Mo. - The 19th-ranked Georgia soccer team got a 60th-minute goal from freshman Marion Crowder – her eighth of the season – and five highlight reel saves from senior keeper Caitlin Woody to secure a 1-0 road win over Missouri Friday night at Walton Soccer Stadium.

    The win improved the Bulldogs to 9-1 on the season and 2-0 to start Southeastern Conference play – the first time Georgia has begun SEC play with two wins since 2007 and the first time in program history Georgia has begun conference play with two straight shutouts. Georgia’s current nine-game winning streak builds on the team’s all-time record. Missouri – which reached its first-ever NCAA Tournament in 2012 – falls to 5-5 (1-1) with the loss.

    “Wins in the SEC are tough to come by, and road wins are especially tough to come by,” said head coach Steve Holeman. “It’s another huge win for this team. Often times you talk about team wins and team effort, but you have to talk about Caitlin Woody. She played phenomenal and had some big saves for us that helped us win the game. For the first 30 minutes we looked pretty good and I thought we were going to get a couple. We limited Missouri to a low number of shots, but the chances they had were quality, and in the second half it was a back and forth game. Once we got our goal, they put us under some pressure and switched their system so we had to adjust and grind this one out.”

    The Bulldogs jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the shot column, including a great look when senior Madeline Barker beat her defender and fired a cross inside to an awaiting Rachel Garcia in the center, but the rookie’s one-touch shot was saved nearly 15 minutes in. The half continued with a similar tone, as the Bulldogs finished the first 45:00 leading 11-3 in shots but with nothing to show for it. Woody – who now ranks tied for third all-time for shutouts in a single season at UGA – made two spectacular first-half stops including one that required her to regain her positioning and dive for a shot after being beaten out of goal with under four to play in the opening frame.

    Missouri came out firing to start the second half, putting pressure on the Bulldog defense, but Crowder was able to break through for Georgia 15 minutes into the second half after receiving a perfect header from Garcia and staying just onside before finishing her 1-v-1 opportunity into the bottom left corner. It was the team-leading eighth of the season for Crowder, who tonight moved into fourth place all-time in Georgia history for goals by a freshman. The Mississippi native has now scored in four straight games with five game-winning goals.

    Woody continued her stellar play late in the second half, and when time expired on the 1-0 UGA win it marked the first time this season the Tigers had been shut out and just the second time in the their last 20 games dating back to last season.

    Georgia tonight evened its brief record vs. the Tigers to 1-1. The Bulldogs ended with a 16-12 lead in shots, while the Tigers led 9-8 in corner kicks.

    Tonight’s win ties Georgia with the 2007 squad for the best start through 10 games in program history.

    Georgia is back in action on Sunday at No. 25 Kentucky, a 6 p.m. kickoff that will be televised regionally on CSS and online at

    Tennessee, LSU Tie 1-1 in Thriller

    BATON ROUGE, La. - Caroline Brown had the equalizer in the 64th minute and Julie Eckel made spectacular save after spectacular save as UT came back for a 1-1 draw with LSU over 110 thrilling minutes in Baton Rouge.

    UT is now 6-2-2 on the year and 1-0-1 in SEC play. LSU is now 5-3-2 and 1-0-1 in conference play.

    After Eckel and the UT back line survived a frenzy of LSU shots early in the second half, Brown found the back of the net in the 64th minute firing a missile that deflected off LSU keeper Megan Kinneman and into the back of the net.

    Tennessee went on the attack quickly as Brown fired the first shot of the night just 1:24 into the match. The senior forward took the ball to the top left corner of the box and fired high and wide.

    LSU went up 1-0 in the 31st minute on Emma Fletcher's free kick from just outside the box. Fletcher booted a ball that went past the UT wall and Julie Eckel made a dive to her left, getting her finger tips on the ball as it found the back of the net.

    Tennessee tried furiously to get an equalizer before halftime. After Fletcher's score, Hannah Wilkinson tried to knock in a well-placed free kick from Megan Erskine from midfield to the front right side of the box. In the 38th minute, Wilkinson's shot was right to LSU keeper Megan Kinneman in the center of the goal. Amalie Thestrup had a shot in the 43rd minute from outside the box that Kinneman got a hold of. Thestrup had a header a minute later that was also grabbed by the Tigers' keeper.

    At the half, Tennessee had a 6-4 edge on shots and neither team had registered a corner kick.

    In the second half, LSU had a chance to go up 2-0 in the 51st minute when Fletcher broke past two UT defenders and fired a high shot.

    Eckel was outstanding during a three-minute stretch where LSU had heavy offensive pressure deep in the UT box. In the 54th minute, Eckel made a diving stop on a shot by Eckel. Following an LSU corner kick, a Tennessee clear and the Tigers re-gaining possession on the attack, Fernanda Pina fired a shot deep in the box that Eckel turned away. Summer Clarke had a shot that was blocked in the box in the 56th minute as LSU continued to hold possession in the UT third.

    In the 64th minute, Brown netted the equalizer on a rocketed shot from just outside the box that went off the keeper.

    Wilkinson had a good chance to put UT ahead in the 81st minute. Brown and Wilkinson were on a 2-on-2 breakaway and Brown found Wilkinson on the left side of the box. The LSU keeper dove and missed the ball and Wilkinson's shot was blocked by an LSU defender on an open net from three yards out.

    Eckel made another amazing save in the 88th minute. Clarke fired a shot from the far left corner of the box and Eckel made a leaping poke with her right hand to push the ball over the goal.

    Tennessee next heads to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to play Alabama on Sunday at 2 p.m. The match will be televised on CSS with Melissa Lee on the call and Tori Beeler Watson providing analysis. Fans can also watch the game live online on ESPN3. There will be live statistics via and a free live blog on

    UT's next home match is on Oct. 4 against Ole Miss at 7 p.m. The first 750 fans in attendance at Regal Soccer Stadium will receive a free Tennessee Soccer flag.

    Alabama Soccer Team Erupts For Five Goals in 5-2 Win Over Vanderbilt

    TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama juniors Pia Rijsdijk and Laura Lee Smith each scored a pair of goals to lift the Crimson Tide soccer team to an impressive 5-2 win over Vanderbilt on Friday night at the Alabama Soccer Complex.

    Junior Theresa Diederich added a goal and assist on the night, as the Crimson Tide improved to 3-6 for the year and 1-1 in Southeastern Conference play.

    Alabama’s five goals were the most in an SEC game since defeating Auburn, 6-3, on Oct. 28, 2005. The Tide also scored more goals Friday night (5) than it had scored all season entering the game (4).

    Alabama wasted no time jumping out to a lead, scoring three times in the first 18 minutes of the match. Rijsdijk, who led the team in points a year ago, scored her first goal of the year in the 7th minute. Smith scored on a header at the 13:21 mark, while Diederich scored the eventual game-winning goal on a volley from 20 yards out to give her team a three-goal cushion.

    Vanderbilt (3-5-2, 0-2) cut the lead to 3-1 late in the first half, but the Crimson Tide countered when Rijsdijk scored just over a minute into the second half.

    Vandy would cut the lead to 4-2 at the 67:13 mark, but Smith ended any hopes of a dramatic comeback with her second header goal of the night 42 seconds later (68:05) to result in the final score.

    The Commodores outshot the Tide, 18-17, but Alabama had a 7-5 edge in shots on goal.

    UA goalkeeper Emily Rusk not only had three saves, but also recorded her first career assist on Rijsdijk’s second tally. Senior Molly Atherton, who was honored in a pregame ceremony, and sophomores Katie Bourgeois and Abby Lutzenkirchen were also credited with assists in the win.
    UA is now 3-1 when playing at home this season.

    The Crimson Tide will return to action on Sunday afternoon when it welcomes the Tennessee Volunteers to the Alabama Soccer Complex. The contest, which will kickoff at 1 p.m. CT, will be televised live on CSS and ESPN3.

    No. 7 Florida Soccer Wins 4-1 at No. 24 Mississippi
    OXFORD, Miss. - Four goals by four different Gators gave the No. 7 Florida soccer team a 4-1 win over No. 24 Mississippi Friday evening in front of 1,023 fans at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium. It was the Southeastern Conference road opener for the Gators.

    Florida opened the match scoring on its first three shots to put the team up 3-0 after just 16 minutes of play. A cross from Annie Speese> into the center of the box ended with Savannah Jordan hitting her 11th goal of the season at 4:32. Then Pamela Begič put in the ball at 13:23 off the Jordan's first collegiate assist. It was Begič's third goal of the season. Then it was Begič's turn for an assist, finding sophomore Claire Falknor with space and time in the box. Falknor turned and put it for her first goal of the season at 15:10.

    The Rebels' scored their only goal of the match in the 28th minute when Bethany Bunker scored off a long throw in.

    The final Gator goal came off a scrum in front of the goal. Junior Jillian Graff hit her first goal of the season in the final minute to give UF the final margin.

    Jordan now has 11 goals, making her one of five in NCAA Division I play to turn in 11 or more goals this season.

    Aggies Coast to 8-0 Win Over Mississippi State

    COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Allie Bailey registered the second fastest goal in school history, breaking the scoring seal 28 seconds into the contest and the Texas A&M Aggies never looked back in an 8-0 win over the Mississippi State Bulldogs in SEC action at Ellis Field on Friday evening.

    After an early foul by Mississippi State, Karlie Mueller sent a free kick into the goal area from 30 yards out. The Bulldogs goalkeeper C.J. Winship was unable to corral the service and Bailey cleaned up the mess with 44:32 remaining in the first half for her second goal of the season.

    Nicky Thrasher tallied Texas A&M’s quickest goal to start a game, scoring 11 seconds into a contest against Oklahoma State in 2001.

    The eight goals marked the most for an Aggie squad in an SEC game, topping the mark they set in a 5-0 win against Alabama on October 5, 2012. The eight goals equaled a school record for most goals in a conference game. The Aggies twice scored eight goals against Texas Tech in Big 12 games, including an 8-2 win in 1996 and an 8-0 win in 2003. It also marked A&M’s highest scoring output in any game since a 13-1 drubbing against Fordham on September 18, 2011.
    Texas A&M (6-3-1, 1-1-0 SEC), who entered the contest with just five first-half goals through nine matches on the season, equaled the mark on Friday, taking a 5-0 lead into the intermission.

    In the 14th minute of action, Janau Cousineau lobbed a pass, from 40 yards out, over the defense that Shea Groom chased into the penalty box and Groom took advantage of a one-on-one opportunity against Winship to give Texas A&M a 2-0 lead.

    Meghan Streight utilized set pieces to score a pair of goals as the lead ballooned to 4-0. In the 31st minute, Bailey sent a corner kick into the six-yard box from the left arc and Streight hit it flush on a header to send it past the keeper. Three minutes later, Streight got her head on a free kick from Mueller and guiding it to the back net for the four-goal lead.

    The Aggies kept their foot on the accelerator going into halftime as Ana Cruz scored her first career goal with 3:24 remaining in the first half on an assist from Leigh Edwards.

    The cavalcade of goals continued into the second stanza with Groom scoring on a header off a free kick from Mueller in the 55th minute, Kunz launching a shot from the top of the penalty box on an assist from Bailey in the 78th minute and Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar notching her first career goal with 3:55 remaining for the 8-0 cushion.

    Groom and Streight ended the contest with two goals apiece. Mueller’s three assists was one shy of the school record of four set by Kat Krambeer against UTSA in 2006.

    Texas A&M owned decisive advantages in the offensive stats, including shots (30-8), shots-on-goal (14-0) and corner kicks (9-4).

    The Aggies’ defense impounded the Bulldogs’ offense, holding Mississippi State (3-6-0, 0-2-0 SEC) without a shot-on-goal and just eight shots for the match.

    Jordan Day and Renee McDermott each played a half as the Aggies registered their fourth shutout of the season.

    Texas A&M returns to action on Sunday with a 2:30 pm match against the Vanderbilt Commodores at Ellis Field.