SEC Volleyball Blog – Week 3 – 10/04/2013
By: Phil Bush
SEC Digital Network
It’s conference time.
Conference play is underway.
Topics for this week:
• Conference Strength and Power Rankings
• Significant Wins and Losses
• Key Matches This Week
Conference Strength and Power Rankings
The current power ranks for SEC teams – out of 300-plus Division I schools is:
31. Texas A&M
109. Ole Miss
116. South Carolina
134. Mississippi State
Significant Win and Losses include:
• Florida has beaten Stanford and Florida State. They have only dropped three sets all year - keep that in mind. The Texas A&M match should be very interesting.
• Missouri is undefeated. Keeping with the “sets” theme- they have only lost three sets all year, and dropped only one at Arkansas on Wednesday. They host Auburn this week and that will be interesting.
• Alabama beat Auburn at Auburn 3-1 - big win for the Tide.
• Kentucky has played a very challenging early-season schedule. Six teams that are way up the Power Ranking tree - including beating then No. 4 Minnesota
• LSU has also played a great schedule, including back-to back matches at a very tough Miami (FL) team. Not to mention that the defending national champion and No. 4-ranked Texas comes to Baton Rouge on Saturday. Win or lose, LSU’s power ranking will go up from here.
• Texas A&M had the distinction of playing three ranked teams in a row: Florida State, Michigan and Colorado State, including a win over Florida State.
• Georgia is also hot - with an 11-3 record, with the only losses coming at Nebraska, at Kansas, and at Texas A&M. Another challenging schedule has led to a big rise in Power Ranking.
Key Matches for the Week:
Two have already taken place with Alabama and Missouri winning on the road at Auburn and Arkansas, respectively.
• Auburn at Missouri – Can the Mizzou keep it going?
• Texas A&M at Florida – This is always hard to prep for, but the Aggies get to start their road trip at Gainesville.
• No. 4 Texas at LSU – Not a conference match, but what a great one for the Tigers to play.
• Florida at Alabama – The Tide is much improved - how much? We will find out.
• Auburn at Arkansas – back part of a tough road trip for the Tigers.
As I always say, if you have questions or suggested topics for The Rotation, please let me know.