SEC Cross Country Athletes of the Week (Oct. 15, 2013)
Men’s Runner of the Week: Jake Roberts, Texas A&M
• Was the top Aggie finisher over the 5,000-meter course at the Houston Baptist Invitational, as Texas A&M claimed the team title with 20 points over the host Huskies, who scored 45 points for second place.
• Roberts ran a time of 15:29 to place fifth overall and was the second finisher among runners affiliated with a complete team.
• Roberts lead a crew of five Aggies who claimed scoring places 2-3-4-5-6 for the 20-point team score.
• Currently holds the seventh-best 5K time in the SEC this season.
Women’s Runner of the Week: Meredith Mill, South Carolina
• Broke the South Carolina school record at the 5K distance with a time of 17:03.6 at the Royal Cross Country Challenge in Charlotte, N.C.
• Topped the collegiate field, besting the next runner by nearly 20 seconds.
• Leading the Gamecocks for the fourth time this fall, Mill’s time stands fourth at that distance this year.
• Beat her best 5K time from her freshman year by almost 1:40 and topped the previous-best 5K in Gamecock history by seven seconds, a time that had been set by 2012 second-team All-SEC performer Kayla Lampe last year.
Men’s Freshman Runner of the Week: Alex Reba, Texas A&M
• Was the second Aggie finisher during the 5,000-meter race at the Houston Baptist Invitational, running a time of 15:31.
• Led the A&M crew through various parts of the race and was just two seconds behind teammate Jake Roberts at the finish.
• Placed sixth overall and was the third finisher among team scorers as the Aggies totaled 20 points among their pack of five (2-3-4-5-6) who were separated by just 11 seconds.
Women’s Freshman Runner of the Week: Mary Reiser, South Carolina
• Posted a fifth-place finish at the Royal Cross Country Challenge in Charlotte with a time of 17:39.0.
• Her time ranks sixth in South Carolina school history at the 5K distance and is the fastest-ever by a Gamecock true freshman.
• Has been in South Carolina’s top-three all season, ranking second in each of the last three competitions.
• Helped the Gamecocks win the Royal Cross Country Challenge with a team score of 20.