Nov. 3, 2013
Box Score |
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky begins its 40th season of varsity women’s basketball.
- Matthew Mitchell enters his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats. He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 144 and winning percentage (.699).
- This was the first meeting between the Wildcats and Tritons.
- The Wildcats are 6-1 in exhibition games under coach Mitchell.
- Today’s attendance was 2,314.
- Next up: UK will travel to New York for a two-game road trip. The Cats will visit Marist in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., on Friday, Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. ET and Wagner in Staten Island, N.Y., on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 1 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kastine Evans, Bria Goss, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- Samarie Walker scored the first point of the game with a free throw (1-of-2).
- Azia Bishop, Linnae Harper and Jelleah Sidney were the first UK players off the bench at the 16:22 mark in the first half.
- Kentucky never trailed the entire half.
- UK began the game on 23-0 run covering 10:43.
- Eckerd scored its first basket with 9:17 remaining in the first half.
- UK was 14-for-43 (32.6%) from the floor led by Stallworth who scored a team-high eight points and was 4-of-8 from the field.
- Kentucky owned the turnover battle 21-10, including nine steals.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five who started the game.
- UK outscored the Tritons 50-20 in the second half to win by a final score of 83-35.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 49 points.
- Kentucky’s largest run in the second half was a 16-0 spurt midway through the half.
- The Wildcats shot 30-of-81 (37%) from the field.
- UK converted on just 4-of-27 (14.8%) from beyond the arc.
- All 12 available Wildcats scored, pulled down at least two rebounds and played at least nine minutes.
- Three UK players scored in double-figures.
- Kentucky won the turnover battle 41-17, with 16 steals.
- UK scored 43 points off the 41 turnovers, while holding Eckerd to just two points off turnovers.
- The Wildcats outrebounded Eckerd 55-35, while outscoring the Tritons 44-14 in the paint.
- UK’s bench outscored Eckerd 40-1 for the game.
- Senior DeNesha Stallworth scored a game-high 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting to go with six rebounds and two steals.
- Senior Samarie Walker scored 12 points and pulled down six boards.
- UK’s frontcourt of Stallworth, Walker and Azia Bishop combined to score 36 of the team’s 83 points.
- Freshman Makayla Epps scored 10 points in her first game in a Wildcat uniform. Epps knocked down a game-high two 3-pointers on 2-of-6 shooting.
- Freshman Linnae Harper notched eight points to go with four rebounds and four assists.
- Senior Kastine Evans dished out a game-high six assists.
- Junior Jennifer O’Neill tied Walker for the team-high in steals with three.