Sec Blog #11
If there was any doubting Missouri, their straight set victory at Florida on Friday answered any remaining questions. Never mind that this team is now 31-0 on the season. Never mind that they just beat Florida in their home arena in front of a record crowd.
The Tigers are No. 4 in the country now and have put the SEC Championship race pretty much out of reach. If Missouri stumbles three times that would be the case, but I don’t see that happening - does anyone?
SEC Offensive Player of the Week Lisa Henning hit .500 against the Gators, and when you add in the ongoing work of setter Molly Kreklow, Carly Kan and Whitney Little, you have performers playing lights-out volleyball for an entire season.
Based on National Rankings, the top-three SEC teams are:
It’s also worth looking at the team stats and how Missouri stacks up there. Remember these are team stats, with 300+ schools being ranked:
Category Missouri National Rank
Assists Per Set 1
Blocks Per Set 17
Hitting Percentage 1
Kills Per Set 2
Record - 1 - Colorado State is the only other undefeated team at 25-0
Slice it up any way you want to, and Missouri’s work is very impressive!
Despite having a very tough year, Tennessee continues to play hard, and libero Ellen Mullins leads the Lady Vols with a No. 7 national rank in digs per set.
I should have mentioned that Florida’s Chloe Mann is one of only 10 nominees nationwide for the Senior Class Award. All nominees must excel in all four areas: Community, Classroom, Character, and Competition.
The finalists were chosen by a media committee, and we encourage all SEC Fans to support Chloe by voting at www.seniorclassaward.com.
The RPI is updated again.
4. Florida – Florida played a more difficult pre-season slate so holds on to that spot
5. Missouri – Moves up again- the world is beginning to believe!
9. Kentucky – Will fight a battle this weekend to keep working on their positioning
31. Georgia – Continues to show improvement
33. Alabama – Keeps edging up week by week
34. LSU – Dropped a little but not too much
35. Texas A&M – Moving up nicely in the rankings
40. Arkansas – Were off last week, and will be looking to get back in the winner’s circle
62. Auburn – Small drop, but the improvement in these Tigers this season is tremendous
I know I keep saying it, but the notion of SEVEN SEC teams in the NCAA Tournament is not only reasonable, it is the right thing to do!
Big matches for this week:
- LSU at No. 7 Florida – Tough trip for these Tigers, but they will fight hard. Sometimes it is not about winning and losing, it is about making a statement
- Texas A&M at No. 16 Kentucky – Should be a great match and the Aggies are looking to make a statement of their own!
- Ole Miss at Auburn – Every match will matter for these Tigers now
- No. 4 Missouri at No. 16 Kentucky – Rough weekend for the Wildcats with A&M coming in, and then Missouri follows
- Texas A&M at Georgia – Vastly improved Georgia side will try to solidify their standing in the SEC
It is coming down the wire, and I hope you are enjoying SEC volleyball across the Conference!