SEC Soccer Today: Friday, November 22 > SEC > NEWS
  • JOIN THE SECNATION   Register / Login

    SEC Soccer Today: Friday, November 22

    Soccer RESULTS
    Texas A&M 2 (4-3), Texas Tech 2
    Arkansas 1, St. John's 0
    Duke 1, Florida 0
    Stanford 1, South Carolina 0
    UCLA 3, Kentucky 0


    Texas A&M Tops Texas Tech in PKs

    CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina – The No. 13 Texas A&M Aggies advanced to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship, topping the No. 18 Texas Tech Red Raiders in a penalty kick shootout, 4-3, after the two squads played to a 2-2 draw through two overtime periods at Fetzer Field.

    The shooters were perfect in the first two round for both teams in the shootout with Tech’s Jessica Fuston, A&M’s Allie Bailey, Tech’s Erin Inman and A&M’s Meghan Streight all burying their shots in the back of the net.

    Jordan Day became stepped into the limelight on Tech’s attempt to start the third round of kicks. The Red Raiders Jade Dapaah went to the right side, but Day pounced on the shot before it went inside the post. Kristi Leonard followed with a successful attempt for A&M to give the Aggies a 3-2 advantage after three rounds.

    In the fourth round, Tech’s Janine Beckie and A&M’s Rachel Lenz both made their shots to set up Day’s match-ending heroics in the fifth round.

    Day once again guessed the correct way and made a diving save of Alli Murphy’s shot to send the Aggies to their 12th Sweet Sixteen appearance.

    Texas A&M (18-4-2) held the offensive advantage in the first half, but the teams went into the intermission knotted at 0-0. The Aggies’ owned the edge in shots (11-4), shots-on-goal (3-2) and corner kicks (3-1).

    Coming out of the locker room, Tech struck quickly to take the momentum. Alli Murphy served a long ball down the center of the pitch and found Briana Rohmer who split a pair of Aggie defenders and took advantage of a one-on-one opportunity with Day to give the Red Raiders a 1-0 lead 1:15 into the second half.

    The Aggies continued the offensive pressure and it finally paid off in the 61st minute. With the ball being knocked around the penalty box following an A&M corner kick, Janae Cousineau headed the ball into the six-yard box and Annie Kunz followed with a header into the back of the net for her fifth goal of the season, knotting the match at 1-1.

    Texas Tech (18-2-3) reclaimed the lead in the 75th minute on a counter attack. The Red Raiders defense played a long ball to Beckie who controlled the ball 40 yards out and charged into the penalty box. Beckie weaved around Day and found a near empty net with defender Streight, standing on the backline, as the only obstacle. Beckie drilled the past Streight for the 2-1 advantage.

    With the Maroon and White’s season appearing to wane, the Aggies took advantage of a set piece in the 84th minute to keep the campaign alive. Allie Bailey served up a free kick from the left touchline, 10 yards off the endline. Bailey’s service found Rachel Lenz’s head just outside the six-yard box. Lenz’s shot hit the crossbar, but deflected back Groom who sent it home the equalizer with a header of her own.

    Both squads had opportunities to end the match in overtime. In the first OT period, Tech had three corner kick opportunities in the first five minutes but couldn’t convert. With one minute remaining in the second overtime, Kunz sent a long ball to Groom and the mercurial junior found herself in an enviable position eight yards out, but couldn’t find the net, sending a shot across the bow.

    For the match, A&M held decisive margins in shots (34-13), shots-on-goal (13-7) and corner kicks (9-5), but Tech’s defense, which had allowed just seven goals in 22 matches on the season, put forth a heroic effort.

    Victoria Esson made 10 saves, including four punches over the cross bar and a pair of diving saves. The Red Raiders’ backline also had a defensive save.

    Day made five saves on the afternoon for the Aggies.

    Texas A&M returns to action on Sunday when the Aggies will play either Indiana or North Carolina in a match slated for 12 pm Central at Fetzer Field.

    Arkansas Soccer Advances to Third Round of NCAA Tournament

    DURHAM, N.C. – The University of Arkansas soccer team defeated St. John’s (NY) Friday night, 1-0, in round two of the NCAA Tournament. Arkansas improves to 15-8 on the season, while St. John’s ends their season at 12-6-3.

    Claire Kelley scored the unassisted lone goal for the Razorbacks, giving her team the 1-0 lead it needed to advance to the third round and be one of the final 16 teams still standing.

    The Razorbacks had several chances the first half, putting the pressure St. John’s and maintaining possession in Red Storm territory for a majority of the first 45 minutes. Arkansas got the lead they were looking for in the 41st minute, as Kelley sent in a shot from just outside the box, firing it past the goalkeeper and giving the Razorbacks a 1-0 lead. It was the freshman’s second goal of the season.

    The Razorbacks held a 1-0 lead going into the break, but St. John’s would not give up easily. The Red Storm came out of the half firing, putting the pressure on Arkansas right out of the half. Following just one shot taken in the first half, the Red Storm attempted eight shots in the second half looking for the equalizer, combining for nine on the night.

    The Arkansas back line was resilient and held on for the shutout. Freshman goalkeeper Cameron Carter recorded three saves on the night, picking up her 14th win of the season. Tonight’s win moves to her sixth all-time in career wins. St. John’s lineup boasts the No. 1 goal scorer in the country in Rachel Daly, but the Razorbacks came well-prepared for the challenge.

    “It was a team effort, we played a lot of people,” said Head Coach Colby Hale. “Obviously they’ve got a pretty special player up front and we put a pretty strong focus on her. We held her to two shots and no goals. Overall it was good.”

    The Razorbacks will face the winner of Florida-Duke on Sunday at noon CT.

    “We always say ‘enjoy tonight,’” said Hale. “We’re in the sweet 16. There are only 16 teams left in the country playing. That’s a big deal.”

    No. 2 regional seed Florida soccer loses 1-0 at Duke in NCAA Second Round
    DURHAM, N.C. - The Florida soccer team lost 1-0 to Duke in Friday's NCAA Second Round action at the Koskinen Stadium.

    Duke now advances to the NCAA Third Round to play Arkansas. The Razorbacks, making their first NCAA appearance, defeated the Red Storm 1-0 in Friday's opening match at the Durham site.

    The Blue Devils scored off their only corner kick of the opening half. Senior Natasha Anasi tucked in the ball served up by Mollie Pathman and touch out wide by Kim DeCesare at the far post for her second goal of the season at the 21 minute mark.

    The best opportunity of the opening half came in the 25th minute when senior Caroline Triglia's 20-yard curving shot was headed to far post. DU's Meghan Thomas, as she did on each of Florida's four shots on goal in the opening half, made the stop.

    The Gators had another nice look in the 75th minute when, from deep in the left flank, junior Christen Westphal sent a ball to the six-yard box. Savannah Jordan got a touch on it but the shot couldn't get past Thomas. Late in the half, junior Jillian Graff took an 18-yard shot which headed to the far post but Thomas again made the stop.

    No. 14 Gamecocks Season Ends in 1-0 Overtime Defeat to No. 17 Stanford

    LOS ANGELES – A battle from the beginning between No. 14 South Carolina and No. 17 Stanford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament ended as Taylor Uhl netted the game’s only goal less than two minutes into overtime to give the Cardinal the 1-0 win on a chilly night at Drake Stadium.  

    A quick play down the right flank, Stanford got a cross in before it was knocked back out. Midfielder Chioma Ubogagu corralled the ball at the top of the 18-yard box where she tapped it forward to Uhl who one-timed a soft shot past Gamecock keeper Sabrina D’Angelo inside the left post.

    A stalemate throughout, neither team could find a way to break down the others defense.

    Stanford had the first attempt of the game on a free kick from just outside the box in the fifth minute. After Courtney Verloo’s first attempt was whistled back, her second attempt curled away from the left post.

    Five minutes later, the Gamecocks earned the first corner of the night. A collision in the box occurred as the ball was in the air between Stanford keeper Jane Campbell and Gamecock defender Taylor Leach and the ball was knocked away. Midfielder Stevi Parker pounced on the loose ball, but her shot was over the crossbar.   

    In the 12th minute, Uhl hit a low shot from close range that crossed the face of goal, but it missed wide of the left post.

    With the Cardinal keeping the ball in the Gamecocks half for much of the first 20 minutes, the Gamecocks began to settle in after bringing on several subs over the ensuing 10 minutes.

    After a dangerous attacking run up the middle from forward Daija Griffin, the ball was poked away by a Stanford defender. Forward Coryn Bajema was got the loose ball and hit a shot from range, but the attempt landed in the hands of Campbell.
    After 45 minutes of play, Stanford held a 4-2 advantage in shots, while both sides only produced one shot on goal.

    The Gamecocks came quick out of the break as midfielder Gabrielle Gilbert lined up a one-timed shot from outside the box that was just over the bar early in the half.   

    In the 78th minute, Stanford’s Natalie Griffen had the best chance in regulation as she got on he end of a bouncing ball and ripped a shot across the face of goal that caromed off the crossbar. That came just after D’Angelo came up big for her side on a shot from Ubogagu that was destined for the back of the net. The junior went to her left and was able to punch away the attempt before it tucked under the crossbar.

    The Cardinal put the Gamecocks under heavy pressure late in the regulation, but the defense was able to withstand it and force overtime.

    In a defensive match-up, Stanford managed to outshoot South Carolina 9-6, while holding a 4-1 advantage in shots on goal.

    No. 2 UCLA Ends Kentucky’s NCAA Tournament Run

    LOS ANGELES – The University of Kentucky women’s soccer team saw its season come to an end on Friday night at Drake Stadium, as the Wildcats fell to No. 2/2 UCLA in the second round of the 2013 NCAA Women’s Soccer Championships, 3-0.

    “Congratulations to a well-coached UCLA team that beat us tonight,” UK head coach Jon Lipsitz said. “They are a fantastic team who we expect to go far in the tournament. We also appreciate all the operations here at UCLA for being first-class in hosting us. This was a game where we knew certain details had to go our way. Giving up an early goal changed the game, but we are extremely proud of oureffort and what we wanted to accomplish this season. I can’t wait to start preparing for 2014 because the potential of the future of this program is so exciting.

    “I would be remised if I didn’t give thanks to Mitch Barnhart who flew out across the country today to watch us play. I don’t think there is another AD in the country who would travel this way to support these student-athletes knowing he has to be in Georgia for a football game tomorrow. That just shows the unbelievable dedication and support that he and the UK athletic department has for all 22 sports and the passion that he has for this university.”

    The season was yet another one for the record books under Lipsitz, as Kentucky won 14 matches and finished in the top five of the Southeastern Conference for the second year in a row. The senior class of Kayla King, Danielle Krohn, KacieKumar, Caitlin Landis and Ashley VanLandingham combined for 51 wins in the last four years, making it the second winningest class in UK women’s soccer history and only the second class to win 10-plus matches all four years.

    Kentucky has set new standards under Lipsitz and his staff, as the Wildcats have nowhosted an NCAA Tournament match each of the last three seasons, and advancing into the second round the last two.  

    The Bruins scored early in the match, putting the pressure on early, as junior defender Caprice Dydasco scored her first goal of the season in the fourth minute. Dydasco got the ball wide from goal about 30 yards out and fired a rifle into the far post past a diving Kayla King to her right into the upper 90.

    Kentucky would not concede again in the opening stanza, as the Wildcats held UCLA tojust one goal on 12 first-half shots and six of them on frame.

    Kentucky extended the game early in the second half, as Arin Gilliland and Zoe Swiftconnected for a few opportunities, but UCLA goalkeeper Katelyn Rowland stood strong for the match, not allowing the Wildcats to score in the match.

    UCLA add on another two goals in the second half, as the Bruins stood strong for the 3-0 win.

    Courtney Proctor scored her third goal of the season in the 71st minute as she took a ball from the top of the box and launched it to the far post past a diving King. The Bruins then added a third, putting the game out of reach in the 81st minute as Dydasco scored her second goal of the match and second of the season to put UCLA ahead 3-0 with under 10 minutes to go in the match.

    UCLA ended up outshooting Kentucky 20-5 overall in the match, with the Bruins putting 12 on target, while holding the Kentucky attach to just one shot ongoal the full 90 minutes.

    Kentucky has a bright future, as the team will return its entire back line in 2014, as well as two starting midfielders, and two starting forwards.