The Southeastern Conference announced its volleyball players of the week on Monday, recognizing outstanding performances on the court from another week of action around the league.
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Outside Hitter, Mississippi State
5-9 • So. • Claremont, Calif.
• Posted an MSU season-best 24 kills in a four set match during State’s 3-1 win at Tennessee, added 10 digs for her 12th double-double of the season
• Had nine of her 24 kills during MSU’s clinching set against the Vols, opened the week with a 16 kill, nine dig performance vs. Alabama
• Averaged 6.50 points, 5.71 kills and 2.71 digs per set last week
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Middle Blocker, Georgia
6-0 • Sr. • Richland, Mich.
• Helped Georgia to a 2-0 week, including a win over Auburn, which secured a fourth-place finish in the SEC and helped the Bulldogs earn their first NCAA Tournament bid since 2004
• Led all SEC players in blocks with 14 on the week (2.00 blocks per set average)
• Had eight blocks vs. Auburn, UG held their opponents to a combined .169 hitting clip last week
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Setter, Ole Miss
6-0 • Fayetteville, Ark.
• Passed out a career-high and an Ole Miss single-match program record 61 assists in a win over LSU
• Added a career-high tying 16 digs vs. the Tigers for her eighth double-double of the season
• Her 61 assists vs. LSU is the second highest total in an SEC match this season, and the most by a freshman
OTHER TOP PERFORMANCES
• Whitney Billings (RS, Kentucky) – Notched a match-high 20 kills to go along with 18 digs vs. No. 6 Florida, it was her 12th double-double of the season
• Ty Laporte (MB, Ole Miss) – Had 16 kills and five blocks in a five-set win over LSU, also hit .500 (16-3-26) vs. the Tigers
• Carly Kan (OH, Missouri) – Averaged 5.00 kills and 3.33 digs per set in a sweep of Arkansas, also posted her eighth double-double of the season (15 kills, 10 digs)
• Allie Sawatzky (S, Texas A&M) – Posted her league-leading 20th double-double (29 assists, 10 digs) of the season and set A&M to a .312 hitting percentage in a sweep against South Carolina, A&M’s only match of the week
• Tirah Le’au (OH, Georgia) – Posted 13 kills in each match last week; averaged 3.71 kills per set in an undefeated week for Georgia
• • Roxanne McVey (L, Mississippi State) – Posted a career second-best 7.86 digs per set during a two-match week; helped MSU to its first win against the Volunteers in Knoxville since 1995
• • Sarah Meister (L, Missouri) – Raised her season digs per set average from 3.89 to 3.99 after averaging 7.67 per set in a three-set win over Arkansas, pulling in 23, a three-set career-high
• Anni Thomasson (OH, Kentucky) – Had 16 kills, nine digs and a career-high two solo blocks vs. No. 6 Florida
• Brittany Thomas (OH, Alabama) – Notched her team-leading eighth double-double of the season with 11 kills and 13 digs at Mississippi State
• Jazzmin Babers (MB, Texas A&M) - Recorded a match-high four blocks in the sweep against South Carolina, A&M’s only match of the week. It marked the 22nd time the freshman has led or tied for the team lead in blocks in a match this season