SEC Swimming and Diving Athletes of the Week (January 21, 2014)
Male Swimmer of the Week: Dan Wallace, Florida
• Won every individual event in which he was entered at the Classic at SMU.
• The six-team unique format allowed for each team to have one swimmer in the “A” final and one swimmer in the “B” final.
• The Gators placed second behind top-ranked Michigan and in front of No. 6 Southern Cal, No. 8 Louisville, Purdue and SMU.
• Wallace set the meet and pool record in the 400 individual medley, winning the “A” head in an NCAA “A” cut and season-low time of 3:42.11. Wallace’s time ranks fourth in the country at this time.
• Wallace led off and produced a 200 free split and season low of 1:35.83 in the 800 freestyle relay.
• On day two, won the “B’ final in a 500 freestyle time of 4:17.23 and the “B” final of the 200 IM in a season-low of 1:45.95.
Male Diver of the Week: Ford McLiney, Texas A&M
• Competed in both the 1-meter and 3-meter events, placing second in both in his team’s competition against LSU on Saturday.
• Tallied a score of 329.55 on the 1-meter and a score of 389.48 on the 3-meter.
Male Freshman of the Week: None
• No nominations submitted in this category this week.
Female Swimmer of the Week: Elizabeth Beisel, Florida
• Delivered a pair of top-10 times nationally in the 500 freestyle (4:37.04) and the 200 butterfly (1:54.60).
• The two-time Olympic medalist missed breaking the NCAA “A” standard by .03 in the 500 free and by .11 in the 200 fly.
• Beisel now ranks in the top-10 nationally in six events and in the top-five nationally in four events.
• With a diverse array of season-best times that rank in the top-10, Beisel has the potential to swim in the top heats of six events at the NCAA Championships.
Female Diver of the Week: Lauren Ready, Missouri
• Swept both springboard events and set a new school record in Mizzou’s triple dual against No. 11 Indiana, Illinois and Iowa on Jan. 18.
• Took first on the 1-meter with a 342.55 points, a tally that set a new school record and bested her previous career-best by 31 points.
• Also earned the win on the 3-meter after a score of 328.95.
Female Freshman of the Week: Kara Kopcso, LSU
• Swept both butterfly events and broke the LSU program record in a loss to second-ranked Texas A&M.
• Defeated the defending NCAA Champion and USA Olympic member Camille Adams in the 200 butterfly. Adams also has the fastest 200-butterfly time in the country this year.
• Her time of 1:56.12 is an NCAA “B” standard cut and faster than last year’s NCAA Championship invited time.
• The freshman additionally took first in the 100 butterfly with a mark of 53.38.
• It’s her seventh and eighth wins on the year, which leads the Lady Tigers.