SEC Gymnasts of the Week (January 28, 2014)
SEC Gymnasts of the Week: Bridget Sloan and Kytra Hunter, Florida
• The pair shared the all-around and floor exercise wins versus No. 6 Georgia Friday. Their winning marks are the nation’s leaders – 39.70 (all-around) and 10.0 (floor exercise). They are the first Gators to score a perfect floor mark since 1997 and are among only four Gators all-time to post a 10.0 on floor.
• They helped Florida earn the nation’s leading team (198.05) and floor (49.875) totals. The floor total is the nation’s highest in any event since 2006.
• The duo has won the past two NCAA & SEC all-around titles – Hunter (2012) and Sloan (2013). The all-around win is the 12th for Hunter and the eighth for Sloan.
• Hunter has won floor in each of Florida’s 2014 meets. Sloan also used a 9.925 to claim her second consecutive vault win. This season, Sloan leads the Gators with seven event titles and Hunter is second with five.
• They also are the leaders on the current team in career event titles – Hunter now has 44 all-time while Sloan owns 29.
SEC Specialist of the Week: Lindsey Cheek, Georgia
• Georgia senior Lindsey Cheek continued her torrid start to the 2014 season with a pair of first place finishes on the road against Florida.
• Cheek scored a career-high 9.975 on bars to help the Gym Dogs score a 49.6 – their highest bars score since 1999. With the 9.975, Cheek moved into first in the SEC and second nationally on the uneven bars.
• She then tied for first on vault with a season-high 9.925.
• Cheek has now scored a 9.9 or higher in 11 of her 15 routines this season, and she has claimed eight individual event titles.
SEC Freshman of the Week: M.J. Rott, Auburn
• Tied for the Auburn record with a vault score of 9.975
• It’s the best vault for Auburn since 2008
• Her score helped Auburn to a 49.425 on vault, the second best team score in program history
• Competed on three events helping the Tigers to the best road score in Auburn history, 196.850