The Southeastern Conference announced its men's tennis players of the week Wednesday, recognizing outstanding performances on the court from the past week.
Jordan Angus • Mississippi State
Sophomore • London, England
• Swept singles play for the 2014 ITA Kick-Off Weekend, with both opponents being ranked (81st/87th).
• After falling in the first set on Saturday, Angus closed out the weekend winning four-straight sets, including a straight-sets victory on Sunday against Memphis’ Johnny Grimal. After MSU dropped the doubles point Saturday against Harvard, Angus’ victory set up the opportunity for Zach White’s match-winning three-set victory.
• Angus again proved crucial against Memphis, as he pulled out a straight-sets victory in a second-set tiebreaker against Memphis’ No. 87 Grimal to tie the overall match at 2-2, setting up Florian Lakat and Malte Stropp to bring home the win for the Bulldogs. \
• The weekend victories also gave the sophomore five career wins against ranked opponents.
||Sebastian Beltrame, Harvard (81)
||W 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
||Johnny Grimal, Memphis (87)
||W 6-2, 6-5 (2)
(with Malte Stropp)
||Nguyen/MacMaster, Harvard (17)
||O’Hare/Salisbury, Memphis (3)
Markus Kerner • Tennessee
• Helped the Vols back to the ITA National Indoors for the sixth consecutive season, going unbeaten in No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
• Extended his singles winning streak to a career-best six matches, giving him 11 wins, tied for second-most on the team.
• Has not dropped a set in dual match play in singles so far this spring.
• Extended doubles winning streak to a career-best six matches as well with Andrew Dromsky.
• He is the only Vol to win in singles and doubles in all six of the Vols’ matches this spring.
||Mac Roy, Michigan State
||W 6-1, 6-1
||Vuc Velickovic, VCU
||W 6-0, 6-5
(with Andrew Dromsky)
||Forman/Pfister, Michgian State