Saturday, March 8, 2014
11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
4000 Ridgeway Drive
Birmingham, AL 35209
As the eyes of the world turn to Sochi, Russia for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, Lakeshore is bringing the Spirit of Sochi to Birmingham, Alabama. For the first time in history, the Paralympic Games will be significantly televised on NBC in the United States. As a leader in the Paralympic movement as demonstrated by our designation as a U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site and Paralympic Sport Club, it is Lakeshore’s honor to host the first U.S. community-wide celebration and viewing of the Paralympic Opening Ceremony broadcast. Lakeshore Foundation is internationally recognized for its significant contributions to the Paralympic movement including the most recent distinction of receiving the prestigious Rings of Gold award from the USOC in 2013. Lakeshore Foundation will set the standard by hosting an amazing community celebration to promote the 2014 Winter Paralympic Games. Held inside Lakeshore’s centrally located 129,000 square foot facility, Spirit of Sochi attendees will enjoy:
• ―Road to Sochi—the official USOC traveling interactive tour featuring 12 different Winter sports. This is the only stop for the tour during the Paralympic Games.
• A large screen broadcast of the Paralympic Opening Ceremony from Sochi – the first time the Opening Ceremony has been part of the US broadcast schedule.
• Alabama Olympians and Paralympians Autograph Booth.
• Sochi Samples—cultural treats bringing the city of Sochi to Birmingham
• Ready for Rio!—an exhibition of wheelchair rugby with a spicy taste of what’s to come in the 2016 Summer Games
• Videos of Olympic and Paralympic highlights
• Lakeshore and Paralympic Movement Timeline Exhibit
• Food Truck Games—vote for favorite samplings of Russian treats. Throughout the event, some of Birmingham’s best food trucks will be offering their specialty food items for sale.